• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we have gone after Copeland?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Is he trouble?  maybe... caused us to lose Thabo.. However, at 1 yr, 1.1 Million, I would have loved to roll the dice on him.   The guy can flat out shoot and in our system, I think he would have worked out.

• Premium Member

I liked what I saw of him.  Pretty cheap salary - surprised no one wanted him bad enough to pay more.  Maybe there is a hidden flaw.

Well, he is coming off a bad shooting year.   His thing is shooting.  His first two seasons, he was ~42% from three.  Last season he fell off.  I would have taken a chance on him.  In our offense, a shooter like that can thrive.  He also plays decent defense.  Then you get 6'8 225. 

The question is.. would taking a 31 year old Copeland be better than taking a GRIII or Ashley who doesn't have that much experience?

• Premium Member

I've read quite a bit about him and the flaw that is always, always, always discussed is his defense. Turrible, turrible, turrible. And can't help but feel that's reinforced by how late in the FA period we've gotten without anyone... (dang, even the Knicks... hehe)... trying to sign him.

• Like 1

He gives effort on D, I'll give him that. I always liked him, maybe because he always had great games by his standards against us. He had 20 early in the fourth against us in November if I'm not mistaken.

You have to strike the iron while its hottest with guys like him and Novak. I could see both of their best shooting seasons contributing to a championship as a matchup-determined 8th-10th man. Unfortunately, both can hang up the high tops now. It makes Kyle look all the better for expanding his game: he was them. Anthony Morrow's time is right now, too.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

There's a lot of believe here that NBA GMs know what they're doing?  I don't trust NBA GMs that much.   They also passed on DMC years ago and allowed us to get him for the cheap.

Maybe Copeland lacks that BBIQ to be a great defender.   Like I said, he is not great.  However, his size and effort would make him good off our bench.   Moreover, we're talking a guy who is one season removed from being a consecutive 42% shooter from three.  Let's put that in perspective:  at 42% would have put him above Danny Green, Kyrie Irving, and Brandon Beal last season.  The only Hawks player above 38.9% last season was Kyle Korver.

I like the suggestion of Morrow also.

This Hawks team is going to have to develop another guy who can shoot at 40% from three. Maybe that's THJr?

• Premium Member

So let me get this right.  We are down to evaluation only one aspect of a player's overall game to determine whether he should be signed by the Hawks and he didn't even do that one thing well last year? No thanks!

There's a lot of believe here that NBA GMs know what they're doing?  I don't trust NBA GMs that much.   They also passed on DMC years ago and allowed us to get him for the cheap.

Maybe Copeland lacks that BBIQ to be a great defender.   Like I said, he is not great.  However, his size and effort would make him good off our bench.   Moreover, we're talking a guy who is one season removed from being a consecutive 42% shooter from three.  Let's put that in perspective:  at 42% would have put him above Danny Green, Kyrie Irving, and Brandon Beal last season.  The only Hawks player above 38.9% last season was Kyle Korver.

I like the suggestion of Morrow also.

This Hawks team is going to have to develop another guy who can shoot at 40% from three. Maybe that's THJr?

So you trust message board GM's over real, actual GM's.  C'mon son.

NBA GM's are human and get stuff wrong, but they have a vested interest in doing hours of analysis, film review, etc. in an attempt to get it close to right.  Chances are most of them are aware of all the nimbers you posted.  Chances are they are also privy to a wealth of background information and analysis you and I aren't.  The notion that, "Ah, them guys don't know what they're doing ..." is pretty laughable.

• Premium Member

So you trust message board GM's over real, actual GM's.  C'mon son.

NBA GM's are human and get stuff wrong, but they have a vested interest in doing hours of analysis, film review, etc. in an attempt to get it close to right.  Chances are most of them are aware of all the nimbers you posted.  Chances are they are also privy to a wealth of background information and analysis you and I aren't.  The notion that, "Ah, them guys don't know what they're doing ..." is pretty laughable.

Real, actual GMs make mistakes all the time.   You must have missed the Babcock years?  Anyway, I wasn't saying that I trust message board GMs.. I'm saying that because GMs make mistakes all the time, I'm not going to go by the fact that they didn't pick Copeland til yesterday as a means to say that Copeland wasn't good.   Didn't some foreign dude get drafted before Carmelo, Wade and Bosh?  Didn't Chicago's GM give Korver away for Cash?  Didn't Utah waive Paul Millsap?  And these are the guys who you say are.....aware of all the nimbers?

Cmon Son.

Real, actual GMs make mistakes all the time.   You must have missed the Babcock years?  Anyway, I wasn't saying that I trust message board GMs.. I'm saying that because GMs make mistakes all the time, I'm not going to go by the fact that they didn't pick Copeland til yesterday as a means to say that Copeland wasn't good.   Didn't some foreign dude get drafted before Carmelo, Wade and Bosh?  Didn't Chicago's GM give Korver away for Cash?  Didn't Utah waive Paul Millsap?  And these are the guys who you say are.....aware of all the nimbers?

Cmon Son.

What are you expecting Copeland to do?  He was a borderline dleague guy at his best and that was several years ago.

That's my overall point.  You seem to suggest that fans somehow recognize his star potential while GM's let him languish on the scrap heap.

• Premium Member

What are you expecting Copeland to do?  He was a borderline dleague guy at his best and that was several years ago.

That's my overall point.  You seem to suggest that fans somehow recognize his star potential while GM's let him languish on the scrap heap.

His first two seasons, he was a hired gunner.  He hit 92 of 219 3 pointers.  That's 42% from three.  Let's just crystalize this for you... DeMarre Carroll as a Hawk hit 37.9% of his threes.   Kyle Korver as a Hawks has hit:  47.4% from three.  In Hawks history... the only person who follows Korver with a reasonable number of attempts is Eldridge Recasner at 41.7% and Mike Bibby at 39.7%.  Now, I wasn't saying that Copeland should be our starter at Sf.  I was saying that if we could have gotten this guy on a 1 Million dollar contract and he can get into his shooting form... and try on defense, he would be an asset for cheap.  The assertion that he's D-League talent is possible but had he been a Hawk during his first two season, he would be the second best 3 pt shooter this franchise have had behind Korver.

His first two seasons, he was a hired gunner.  He hit 92 of 219 3 pointers.  That's 42% from three.  Let's just crystalize this for you... DeMarre Carroll as a Hawk hit 37.9% of his threes.   Kyle Korver as a Hawks has hit:  47.4% from three.  In Hawks history... the only person who follows Korver with a reasonable number of attempts is Eldridge Recasner at 41.7% and Mike Bibby at 39.7%.  Now, I wasn't saying that Copeland should be our starter at Sf.  I was saying that if we could have gotten this guy on a 1 Million dollar contract and he can get into his shooting form... and try on defense, he would be an asset for cheap.  The assertion that he's D-League talent is possible but had he been a Hawk during his first two season, he would be the second best 3 pt shooter this franchise have had behind Korver.

I guess I just don't really believe in him as a player that helps us over a SF like Robinson III who is young enough to develop.