• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PeachtreeHoops podcast: Phil Jackson offers Melo for Paul Millsap

NBASupes

Atlanta can't trade Millsap till Dec but what do you think? Do you think Melo in our offense could work? Would you like to move Spitter to center and Horf to PF while having Melo at SF. I said, it should be Teague or Dennis who should be traded for Melo or Paul George but Millsap is a tough pill to swallow. Melo is best used in isolation. With that said, Melo has won when he had solid squad to a much higher level than expected. Took Denver to the WCF and took a below average Knicks squad to the 2nd round.

With that said, Millsap is one of our most important players. Hence the salary. He all around in general. He fits the triangle/motion offense which we have. I don't think Sap is a legit all star type like Melo is but I do think he has as much value to most NBA teams. So color me in the middle. Melo is one of my favorite players but I rarely show favoritism to him like I do with some others.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/9/20/9362573/nba-trade-rumor-carmelo-anthony-to-the-atlanta-hawks-for-paul-millsap

Do it in a heartbeat.

The playoffs proved that you need an Alpha Dog type of scorer in order to win a title. Iggy may have gotten Finals MVP, but it was the scoring of Curry who averaged 26 ppg, that powered that team.

The issue with Melo is like with just about all stars, he needs other All-Star caliber players around him. He's NEVER played with a big man as good as Horford. He's NEVER played alongside a shooter as good as Kyle. And the last time he played with an All-Star caliber PG ( Billups ), he went to the Western Conference Finals.

People who say that Melo can't play in Bud's system, didn't watch him much in college, or during Olympic play. Melo would flat out thrive offensively in the Hawks system, with his ability to score both inside and outside.

The only question is if he could improve defensively in Bud's system. Millsap is by far and away the better defender.

Splitter would have to stay healthy all year though, to maximize a Splitter - Horford - Melo lineup.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

• Admin

Melo is one of the most overrated players in the league ... I am not a big fan of Iso players who are more worried about getting their stats.  I don't know why he always gets put in the same conversations as Lebron, Durant, AD, Paul and others.

Those guys know how to win and make their teams better.  Melo just seems to get his numbers ... his teams never really do much.  At least before the early Denver days when he was playing with Billups.

I am not sure if he is a good fit here as his game does not fit our offense.

He is also more injury prone and older then Paul.

His salary is huge going forward for a guy who is now 31 and coming off a big injury.  

That being said ... he is an excellent scorer and def fixes our SF need.  Al moves to PF and Splitter becomes our center.  

He does give us a marketing face.

We def would have depth issues at PF.  

Melo is def the better of the two players but talent does not always mean success.  Chemistry is a more important thing and Paul is def a chemistry guy where Melo is not.

We getting better marketing wise but I don't know if that actually translates into wins and success.

Edited by capstone21
  • Like 1

I would take a chance with this deal as long as Melo looked good and healthy in November and December.  It's popular to hate on Melo but he is still one of the most well-rounded offensive players in the league.  Durant and Curry are the only "superstar" players that can shoot better than him.  His style of play should allow him to be an elite offensive player for years to come as long as he stays healthy.  His contract averages out to 25.4 mil per year for the next 4 years and that will be seen as an OK deal once other tenured superstars begin to sign max deals under the new cap.

There would be risks involved and the deal could blow up in our faces but I think the possible reward is well worth the risk. 

Melo is one of the most overrated players in the league ... I am not a big fan of Iso players who are more worried about getting their stats.  I don't know why he always gets put in the same conversations as Lebron, Durant, AD, Paul and others.

Those guys know how to win and make their teams better.  Melo just seems to get his numbers ... his teams never really do much.  At least before the early Denver days when he was playing with Billups.

I am not sure if he is a good fit here as his game does not fit our offense.

He is also more injury prone and older then Paul.

His salary is huge going forward for a guy who is now 31 and coming off a big injury.  

That being said ... he is an excellent scorer and def fixes our SF need.  Al moves to PF and Splitter becomes our center.  

He does give us a marketing face.

We def would have depth issues at PF.  

Melo is def the better of the two players but talent does not always mean success.  Chemistry is a more important thing and Paul is def a chemistry guy where Melo is not.

We getting better marketing wise but I don't know if that actually translates into wins and success.

How does an elite spot up shooter not fit in our offense?  Melo can score from every spot on the floor and J.R. Smith has been the 2nd best offensive player on his teams for the majority of his career.  He shined while playing team ball with Team USA.  Him and Kobe carried the team in 2012.  It would also be nice to not be 100% reliant on Teague or Dennis creating off the dribble when our movement breaks down like it did so often in the playoffs.

I do agree with his injury history being a big problem.  That would be a factor in me rejecting the deal long before his play on the court ever would be.

edit:  Due to his no trade clause, I would have to assume that Melo has decided that he wants to play within Bud's system if he OKs the trade to Atlanta.  Him OKing a trade to Atlanta would be purely for a chance to win.  He's not coming to Atlanta for marketing purposes.  If he's looking to score and market, he will use his no trade clause and force his way to a team like the Lakers.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Melo is an elite offensive talent. If Coach Bud could get him to buy into the system and look for shots and actually play defense then yes, I'd trade Millsap for him. We will never get past whatever team Lebron is on in the playoffs without at least one elite offensive talent on the team.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Melo is an elite offensive talent. If Coach Bud could get him to buy into the system and look for shots and actually play defense then yes, I'd trade Millsap for him. We will never get past whatever team Lebron is on in the playoffs without at least one elite offensive talent on the team.

But are we going to get past Lebron if Melo is the guy who has to guard him?

I wouldn't deal Millsap for Melo for defensive reasons. Melo isn't awful defensively but he's limited. Offensively, I think he'd work wonderfully, underrated passer. It's all mental with him, if he buys into Bud's offense he'll be golden. He's not dumb and he's not (particularly) selfish I don't think, he's just never had many players to pass to.

Sap is too important for us defensively so I think it'd be a lateral move.I would definitely trade one of Teague or Dennis + filler pieces for him. It'd kill our depth a bit, but Teague/Thabo/Melo/Sap/Horford wins titles. We'd be top of the East with Cleveland for the next 4 years or so.

I wouldn't deal Millsap for Melo for defensive reasons. Melo isn't awful defensively but he's limited. Offensively, I think he'd work wonderfully, underrated passer. It's all mental with him, if he buys into Bud's offense he'll be golden. He's not dumb and he's not (particularly) selfish I don't think, he's just never had many players to pass to.

Sap is too important for us defensively so I think it'd be a lateral move.I would definitely trade one of Teague or Dennis + filler pieces for him. It'd kill our depth a bit, but Teague/Thabo/Melo/Sap/Horford wins titles. We'd be top of the East with Cleveland for the next 4 years or so.

The salaries would have to match.  Teague is only making 8 mil while Melo is making 23 mil.  You are going to need to send another 10ish+ mil to New York along with Teague to receive Melo in return.

The salaries would have to match.  Teague is only making 8 mil while Melo is making 23 mil.  You are going to need to send another 10ish+ mil to New York along with Teague to receive Melo in return.

Yea I know, wasn't clear but that's what I meant by "+pieces." It's why it would kill our depth, if we deal Dennis it would basically need to include Splitter. Personally, I'd rather pursue Gallinari because he's a lot younger and better defensively. Melo obviously blows him out of the water on offense though.

Well, you what they say; 'scared $$$ don't make any'. But I'm a little torn here. We would have our 'star' player to carry us through down the stretch that we've lacked since the Nique days. But like Jay stated earlier, which version of Melo would we be getting? If it is Team USA Melo who actually played (gasp) defense, hustled, and passed the ball to a teammate for a better shot, then of course. But if it is the 'gotta get mine' version I saw the last two years, then not just no but HELL NO. And didn't he have some beef with THJ over a game last year when Melo wasn't playing hard? But assuming that it somehow happens and Bud pulls some Jedi mind trick, let's look at the starting lineup...

Teague

Korver (assuming he's healthy)

Melo

Horford (well, at least he'd get his wish to play the 4)

Splitter (start praying now for him to be healthy; I have)

On paper, that is as good a starting lineup we've had since they brought in Theus and Moses over a quarter-century ago. But just like that '88-89 team, chemistry and health would be big question marks for me. You'd have not one, not two, but THREE guys with a reputation of going down for long spurts of the season (Melo, Splitter, and Horford) and a fourth coming off injury (Korver). Making a move like this would require some big stones to pull off, especially coming off a season where we mostly proved that the 'group' was a better play than 'hero ball'. But after getting swept by a team who rode 'hero ball' to the Finals with the best 'hero ball' player on the planet, we might have to fight fire with fire.

I don't know. Roll the dice right now? Is it too soon? If Melo comes to play within Bud's scheme and somehow make the rest of us forget that he wanted nothing to do with playing here, then I'd cosign. Otherwise, well...