• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How is this a poorly coached team?

ATLiott

Bud Sucks! Its been over 50 games and he has made zero adjustments to the starting lineup..U can't have 2 guys starting playing out of position.. Horford is naturally a 4 playing the 5 and Baze is a 2 playing the 3... Carroll was 6'8  and a legit 3 and D guy..being undersized at 3 position is a horrible idea this season..Baze, Sap, Horford are too small for the 3,4,5..Bud insist on starting Korver who is a one trick pony who is exposed nightly by quicker guards and overpowered by bigger 3s..Parker had 28 tonight with Korver guarding.. Affalo exposed Korver and Melo would do the same..Korver is a bench player..True he is a good team defender and gets steals but Korver is a huge liability on D..Until Bud benches Korver we will continue to struggle..

Bud is also allowing Schröder  selfish play kill us like he did Germany..f*** Bud!

Edited by LastDon
clarification
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LastDon said:

Bud is also allowing Schröder  selfish play kill us like he did Germany..f*** Bud!

LMFAO...I almost wish this didn't go to a 2nd OT, he played great other than that OT, if Teague continues, Atlanta loses by 8 in regulation, it doesn't go to OT.

1 hour ago, ATLiott said:

Bud won Coach of the Year, but they are AWFUL on the pick and roll, they are sloppy on defense, and have no real half court offense to speak of.  How does this happen?

This team has no good fundamental defenders, and last season's team did not either. The guards get beat off the dribble too easily and if they don't, they gamble for steals too much.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This team has no good fundamental defenders, and last season's team did not either. The guards get beat off the dribble too easily and if they don't, they gamble for steals too much.

They look old. It's a weird mix of youth and vets. Dennis looks so fast out there but who really keeps up with him besides maybe Baze and Teague?

vor 6 Stunden, RWF sagte:

I hope Schröder plays selfish more often. We might have something if he gets consistent time to be consistent. He's the only player we have that seems to have a set.

I wouldn't say selfish play, it's made by design to complement his strenghts handling and dishing the ball at premium speed..
His pnr with Al is a thing of beauty imo, coming off schroeders turning-ability and horfords strong blocks and rolling plus his now extended range..
If Al could play the 4 and we have a hustler/rebounder in the middle paired with 3pt shooters, we could be fierce..

Dennis is set to lead the team next year, the only thing to improve, and im not talking about his shot, is to finish better at the rim..
A consistent floater to mix it up with stutterstep or eurostep layups would make become his unquestioned ability to get to the ring far more deadlier.

To the topic:

I dont think they're poorly coached or that budenholzer is overrated. He has and brought the system that made a deep but mediocre-talented team become the most succesfull in the east last year due to his coaching. He's making the best of the player material he has to work with.
Imo the teamdefense is still in good shape considering we don't have a legit rimprotector. The difference between this and last season is the spacing on offense since dmc's departure, culminating in not making our 3's, which ultimately leads in being exposed on the boards.

Dennis is still in the second unit to keep the strong bench going (still working). Bud is testing Edy to turn him into the rimprotector they need, but it's too early. Korver's struggles have largely to do with the abscense of Carrol and the provided open 3-possibility, since baze is just a slasher.

It is what it is, the system isn't clicking like last year, but that doesn't mean they're poorly coached.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Nope. Reigning coach of the year kid.

Don't call me a kid lil guy. And Sam Mitchell was the coach of the year b4 so who gives a shit

Keep thinking he's a great coach and that last year wasn't a fluke while watching this sorry ass team get it's shit pushed in lmaooo

Edited by Bonkers

• Moderators

I believe Bud is a great coach.   All coaches know they are only as good as their talent.   No coach is doing any better with this team than Bud is doing.   Here is what we have for quality NBA production on this roster  Teague/Dennis/Korver/Thabo/Sap/Horford.   That's it and a couple of those guys are older and recovering from bad injuries.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

Don't call me a kid lil guy. And Sam Mitchell was the coach of the year b4 so who gives a shit

Keep thinking he's a great coach and that last year wasn't a fluke while watching this sorry ass team get it's shit pushed in lmaooo

Lol.. Haha... Wow

ns who comes to games are asked to put their hands together, kiss on cue and generally make a lot of noise for the home team. This becomes an arduous task when the team they are watching look like they are having as much fun as cleaning a chicken coop. (If you don't know what that's like, pause here, Google it, and see what I mean).

The Atlanta Hawks of 2014-15 were playing for each other, vibing off the next guy doing things and winning a lot of games. When the bounces and rolls go your way, as it did during that amazing 19 game January winning streak, then it's easy to feel the love and joy. Every made basket is sweet validation of the process you've bought into and the elite execution generates joy and exuberance in the fans that are watching.

When, however, things don't go as well as they did, it can be discouraging, to both the team and the fans. It's a synergy that is both obvious and fragile. The Atlanta Hawks have not had the same results as last season, though the statistics and standings are not so dissimilar. The Hawks are top ten in every single important advanced statistic and yet you'd think by both their on-court demeanor and the subsequent reaction from we, the people, that they were mediocre.

Further, the expected records shown here say that the Hawks should have the eighth best record in the league. They are not mediocre, the stats clearly show this, but the results, perception and the team's on court presence say otherwise.

The Hawks, for all of its excellence, has shown the emotion and passion of a nurse changing an IV in a hospital. The team is just as clinical with the same bedside manner for its fans to boot. I'm not saying that a fist pump or emotion automagically makes you a contender, but there is no question that the team, as we've moaned about almost as long as defensive rebounding, lack a vocal presence on the floor.

This is a team that very much resembles the methodical, division winning, calculated, lab-coat wearing Atlanta Braves of the 90s and early aughts. Despite those Braves teams' epic winning, fans didn't connect with the buttoned up, velvet robe wearing personas of that era. It's a joyless endeavor to watch them play, but they look joy-less as they play.

Fans are connecting and responding to this team the same way. The only thing they can get excited for in these situations are the results, which happened last season but aren't coming across the same way this season. Therefore, the fans are left to connect to other emotions, like fear, angst and disappointment that they can't feel the same way they did last season.

In an effort to run from those feelings, as people often do when they are faced with such things, they react with anger and want things to change so they can feel a different feeling.

It doesn't guarantee victory to see Dennis scream or Al stand over a downed opponent, but it helps. There was no closer connection that the feeling the city had in 2008, whenZaza Pachulia went head to head with Kevin Garnett, literally, and shouted "Nothing Easy" into the microphone. Or when Horford told Paul Pierce to stay the _______ down when Pierce lay on the court late in the game.

It's emotion that missing from this team, emotion that things matter, that things are urgent right now. There's no questioning this team's desire to win. Not a single player I've ever talked to in that locker room has ever provided anything less than 100% complete effort and passion for winning, for the team, themselves and each other. It's just doesn't come across on the court and that's where the people are having problems connecting with this version of the team.

We can work together here. As fans, let's encourage the guys by name, call out their name when the score, when Korver is making a shot run, when Dennis/Jeff gets to the hoop.

For the players, give the fans something. Al, you used to kiss your biceps when you made a dunk and generally pumped the crowd up in big moments. Dennis/Jeff, surely you have a warehouse full of emotion that can emerge with even a fist pump or running to each other when another player makes a big play or pull the team together on the court. Everyone on the team can give a little more to the people, and to each other, throughout the game. The fans will most certainly reciprocate in this situation, rather than the one-way relationship it's seemed to be throughout this season.

This isn't college, but it's not a funeral either. Bring the passion back to Philips Arena and we'll find that things aren't as dire as the results have indicated.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/2/22/11092156/atlanta-hawks-lack-visible-passion

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

ns who comes to games are asked to put their hands together, kiss on cue and generally make a lot of noise for the home team. This becomes an arduous task when the team they are watching look like they are having as much fun as cleaning a chicken coop. (If you don't know what that's like, pause here, Google it, and see what I mean).

The Atlanta Hawks of 2014-15 were playing for each other, vibing off the next guy doing things and winning a lot of games. When the bounces and rolls go your way, as it did during that amazing 19 game January winning streak, then it's easy to feel the love and joy. Every made basket is sweet validation of the process you've bought into and the elite execution generates joy and exuberance in the fans that are watching.

When, however, things don't go as well as they did, it can be discouraging, to both the team and the fans. It's a synergy that is both obvious and fragile. The Atlanta Hawks have not had the same results as last season, though the statistics and standings are not so dissimilar. The Hawks are top ten in every single important advanced statistic and yet you'd think by both their on-court demeanor and the subsequent reaction from we, the people, that they were mediocre.

Further, the expected records shown here say that the Hawks should have the eighth best record in the league. They are not mediocre, the stats clearly show this, but the results, perception and the team's on court presence say otherwise.

The Hawks, for all of its excellence, has shown the emotion and passion of a nurse changing an IV in a hospital. The team is just as clinical with the same bedside manner for its fans to boot. I'm not saying that a fist pump or emotion automagically makes you a contender, but there is no question that the team, as we've moaned about almost as long as defensive rebounding, lack a vocal presence on the floor.

This is a team that very much resembles the methodical, division winning, calculated, lab-coat wearing Atlanta Braves of the 90s and early aughts. Despite those Braves teams' epic winning, fans didn't connect with the buttoned up, velvet robe wearing personas of that era. It's a joyless endeavor to watch them play, but they look joy-less as they play.

Fans are connecting and responding to this team the same way. The only thing they can get excited for in these situations are the results, which happened last season but aren't coming across the same way this season. Therefore, the fans are left to connect to other emotions, like fear, angst and disappointment that they can't feel the same way they did last season.

In an effort to run from those feelings, as people often do when they are faced with such things, they react with anger and want things to change so they can feel a different feeling.

It doesn't guarantee victory to see Dennis scream or Al stand over a downed opponent, but it helps. There was no closer connection that the feeling the city had in 2008, whenZaza Pachulia went head to head with Kevin Garnett, literally, and shouted "Nothing Easy" into the microphone. Or when Horford told Paul Pierce to stay the _______ down when Pierce lay on the court late in the game.

It's emotion that missing from this team, emotion that things matter, that things are urgent right now. There's no questioning this team's desire to win. Not a single player I've ever talked to in that locker room has ever provided anything less than 100% complete effort and passion for winning, for the team, themselves and each other. It's just doesn't come across on the court and that's where the people are having problems connecting with this version of the team.

We can work together here. As fans, let's encourage the guys by name, call out their name when the score, when Korver is making a shot run, when Dennis/Jeff gets to the hoop.

For the players, give the fans something. Al, you used to kiss your biceps when you made a dunk and generally pumped the crowd up in big moments. Dennis/Jeff, surely you have a warehouse full of emotion that can emerge with even a fist pump or running to each other when another player makes a big play or pull the team together on the court. Everyone on the team can give a little more to the people, and to each other, throughout the game. The fans will most certainly reciprocate in this situation, rather than the one-way relationship it's seemed to be throughout this season.

This isn't college, but it's not a funeral either. Bring the passion back to Philips Arena and we'll find that things aren't as dire as the results have indicated.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/2/22/11092156/atlanta-hawks-lack-visible-passion

I miss Zaza and Horford stickin it to kg and Paulette....ahhhhh the good ole days.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I miss Zaza and Horford stickin it to kg and Paulette....ahhhhh the good ole days.

I do miss the passion and fight the Hawks used to have during that 1st Round Playoff series versus the Celtics. That Hawks team had heart but the coaching was pretty poor. This team has decent coaching, but it's almost too clinical and emotionless. It was this team's razor sharp execution that made them so fun to watch last season. Without that, there's not much to get excited about to be completely honest. It's just a bunch of guys missing jump shots and not rebounding the ball which makes for some pretty bad basketball.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lol.. Haha... Wow

Yeah probably not worth responding with more than that lol.

I definitely agree the passion is missing with this team, maybe that was the biggest thing DeMarre gave us last year.  We need to find that groove back.  Watching highlights from the Golden State game at Atlanta makes me realize this is a different team so far this season.

I think Last season the team bonded over the Ferry fiasco, with so much uncertainty they just focused on basketball and I think that was the message. This season......so laissez-faire.

• Premium Member

Bud is not a good coach...I said it at the beginning of the season that Bud's philosophy is to out execute opposing team by passing the ball until the defense gets tired of playing defense and leaves a Hawk open for a jump shot.  Problem is we are  not a good jump shooting team.  In fact, we don't have one elite shoot on the team period...Sorry Korver fans, Korver isn't an elite shooter anymore.  Bud's offense is predicated on Korver being an elite shooter and that is the fatal flaw.  Bud has put all of his eggs in that one basket and chose to ignore other aspect of the game like rebounding...especially offensive rebounds, defense and getting to the line to get an open shot for a non shooting team. 

Now some have somehow blamed the personnel...I want to know from those people who in the F**k assembled this team if it wasn't Bud?  The Hardaway trade still sticks out as the stupidest move in Hawk history and guess who was the mastermind behind it!!!  And that Splitter trade isn't far behind it.   I can go on and on but I want others to chime in 1st.

• Like 1