Getting KD has become a bigger possibility

aali34

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

and if KD joins GS, the nba is going to be a even bigger joke, seriously w.t.f.  Thats probably the best iso guy potentially in the league and the best shooter ever not to mention these other all stars, thats not competition,  which should drive this product, and it no longer will, ppl might watch some more in the finals to see them destroy ppl, but overall ticket sales will drop around the league when so many other teams have no chance

isn't shit like this the reason David Stern boycotted Chris Paul to the Lakers? This is way worse.

I don't see how the Lakers are listed in the LOL column. 

They suck, but they're the Lakers. Players like KD get paid more by sponsorships than NBA salaries, and he'd get more playing for the real LA team than ATL. 

We're tailor made for him, but I'd only give it a 2.5% chance of happening. 

19 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I don't see how the Lakers are listed in the LOL column. 

They suck, but they're the Lakers. Players like KD get paid more by sponsorships than NBA salaries, and he'd get more playing for the real LA team than ATL. 

We're tailor made for him, but I'd only give it a 2.5% chance of happening. 

They're not the "Lakers" like that anymore though.  I agree he'd probably get more in endorsements but, as it is, IIUC he's at or near the top of the league and that's as an OKC resident right now so ...

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

KD doesn't fit Bud System...The Ideal Small forward for Bud's system is Leonard.

Doesn't mean I still wouldn't LOVE to see him suit up. You "adjust" your system to a player of KD's caliber...

• Premium Member

A mark of a good coach isn't only how they gets players to buy in to their system, it is also how well a coach makes a system that highlights the strength of their players. KD can do everything Kawhi Leonard can offensively(I watch the spurs alot by the way)

- Both can shoot the midrange and the three very well

-Both can post up

-Both are long athletic players

What sets them apart is Kawhi Leonard's defense V. KD's ball handling and facilitating ability.

Not to mention that KD is dominating on a team that surrounds him with no shooters and he gets doubled more often than not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kg01 said:

They're not the "Lakers" like that anymore though.  I agree he'd probably get more in endorsements but, as it is, IIUC he's at or near the top of the league and that's as an OKC resident right now so ...

I totally get that, but I don't think it matters. The Lakers aren't a team that you only expect to compete for a championship once every 30 years. They have ways and means to get back on top. Much more likely than a Milwaukee or Minnesota.  Hell, even the Knicks have sucked balls for years, yet that doesn't diminish their shine too much. The name on the front means a lot. Legacy teams don't have to prove their value to free agents like the rest of the league has to.

And being at or near the top is different then getting even more. Being at or near the top getting 250 million in endorsements in OKC is great, but being able to get 500 million in endorsements in LA would be even better (totally pulling those nimbers out of my ass, just the principality of the matter is what I'm getting at here).

8 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I totally get that, but I don't think it matters. The Lakers aren't a team that you only expect to compete for a championship once every 30 years. They have ways and means to get back on top. Much more likely than a Milwaukee or Minnesota.  Hell, even the Knicks have sucked balls for years, yet that doesn't diminish their shine too much. The name on the front means a lot. Legacy teams don't have to prove their value to free agents like the rest of the league has to.

And being at or near the top is different then getting even more. Being at or near the top getting 250 million in endorsements in OKC is great, but being able to get 500 million in endorsements in LA would be even better (totally pulling those nimbers out of my ass, just the principality of the matter is what I'm getting at here).

The people that did that aren't around anymore.  That's what I'm saying.  Jerry Buss and Jerry West aren't coming back.  No one there, Mitch Kupchak included, has shown an ability to land the free agents they need to get back to their championship form.  Nor have they shown the acumen and insight to properly build a winner.  Players don't trust the Buss kids like players trusted their dad.

They still have the cache and legacy but that's only going to take them so far.  The shear size of their fanbase will keep them on national tv for a while.  I think that's what you're talking about.

Everybody tries to say the funk is pinned on Kobe and think it's going to follow him out the door then, all of a sudden, they'll get back to winning as usual.  That's silly.  Why would anyone think the garbage known as DeAngelo Russell, Julius Randle and Schwaggy P is the championship mix?  It's not 1986 anymore, nor is it 1996 or 2006.

In terms of basketball, the Lakers are just another team now.

Also, the Knicks aren't in that class.  They don't draw free agents.  They're the team free agents use to leverage better deals at the places they really want to sign with.

That Lakers money isn't enough to warrant guys wasting their careers losing now.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

The people that did that aren't around anymore.  That's what I'm saying.  Jerry Buss and Jerry West aren't coming back.  No one there, Mitch Kupchak included, has shown an ability to land the free agents they need to get back to their championship form.  Nor have they shown the acumen and insight to properly build a winner.  Players don't trust the Buss kids like players trusted their dad.

They still have the cache and legacy but that's only going to take them so far.  The shear size of their fanbase will keep them on national tv for a while.  I think that's what you're talking about.

Everybody tries to say the funk is pinned on Kobe and think it's going to follow him out the door then, all of a sudden, they'll get back to winning as usual.  That's silly.  Why would anyone think the garbage known as DeAngelo Russell, Julius Randle and Schwaggy P is the championship mix?  It's not 1986 anymore, nor is it 1996 or 2006.

In terms of basketball, the Lakers are just another team now.

Also, the Knicks aren't in that class.  They don't draw free agents.  They're the team free agents use to leverage better deals at the places they really want to sign with.

That Lakers money isn't enough to warrant guys wasting their careers losing now.

I don't think it matters. I mean it might take a couple years but LA is a very desirable destination and free agents are always going to be attracted to that city and playing for the Lakers imo. I give them 3-5 years to be competing again at a high level.