• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harrison Barnes = Not Worth it.

Diesel

• Premium Member

We have been looking at 3s and one name that always pops up is Harrison Barnes.   Last year, he turned down a 4 year 64 Million dollar deal... in order to go after the max.   That's moving from 16 Million per to 23 million per.

Uhm...  Barnes haven't done anything to suggest that he deserves the max.

Whaddayouthink??

He's averaging 9 points in the Finals and is mostly famous for being benched at crucial times.   I think GS allows him to walk with no regrets.  He hasn't gotten better at all this year, but some desperate franchise will max him.

Edited by benhillboy

He disappears far too easily.  With all that firepower in Golden State he should be able to produce more.  I wouldn't pay him his original offer of 4/64.  Some team will pay close to max for him and subsequently screw up the market for everyone else.

• Like 1

Baze 2.0  Football players are in the WRONG sport. The money is in baseball and basketball.  In football, you are marginal, they cut you. In baseball and basketball, you can be marginal and  you get paid and recycled and paid again.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

This I know to be true:   EVERY free agent (except Durant) this off season will be overpaid and not worth it. 

I am so over worrying about the money and max deals.  What I want for the Hawks are better players that fit what we do. Upgrade at SG and/or SF and the bench.

11 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

Hes better than all our wings

@skimaskway23Is he really? Or is it still his perceive potential, his ideal SF size, his age?

2015-2016 stats for Barnes and Baze:

Player #1:

PPG: 11.6

RPG: 5.2

APG: 2.3

Player #2:

PPG: 11.7

RPG: 4.9

APG: 1.9

Which set belongs to who?

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@skimaskway23Is he really? Or is it still his perceive potential, his ideal SF size, his age?

2015-2016 stats for Barnes and Baze:

Player #1:

PPG: 11.6

RPG: 5.2

APG: 2.3

Player #2:

PPG: 11.7

RPG: 4.9

APG: 1.9

Which set belongs to who?

Bazemore plays a way bigger role for us tho. Barnes is what? 4th or 5th in the pecking order?

I see their numbers are similar but Barnes has a better handle, post game, and could develop into a go to scorer. We know bazemore could never be that, hence why we don't want to resign him at a demarre level contract.

Barnes quietly hit a lot of clutch shots for that team. 

11 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

Bazemore plays a way bigger role for us tho. Barnes is what? 4th or 5th in the pecking order?

I see their numbers are similar but Barnes has a better handle, post game, and could develop into a go to scorer. We know bazemore could never be that, hence why we don't want to resign him at a demarre level contract.

Barnes quietly hit a lot of clutch shots for that team. 

Their roles are similar for their respective teams as well as their pecking order.

• Premium Member

It's only one game but watching him not step up and miss shot after shot in game 5 showed me how I really feel about him. He's going to get overpaid somewhere and it better not be here.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

You say that like Baze isn't 4th or 5th in the pecking order.  

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This I know to be true:   EVERY free agent (except Durant) this off season will be overpaid and not worth it. 

I am so over worrying about the money and max deals.  What I want for the Hawks are better players that fit what we do. Upgrade at SG and/or SF and the bench.

So how do you feel Barnes would fit here?

And do you think he is worth what we would have to give up?

11 hours ago, AHF said:

You say that like Baze isn't 4th or 5th in the pecking order.  

It's sad because he's had multiple opportunities to step up with Curry, Klay, and Draymond out on numerous occasions yet he's remained in his "pecking order" while guys like Iggy, Barbosa, Livingston, Speights, Ezeli, etc. all suspiciously stepped up.

Beyond that this was a guy that was under a tremendous microscope coming out of high school and all of the same flaws in his skills and personality that were exposed over two lackluster seasons in college are still very apparent after 4 seasons in the NBA.  My greatest critique is that if Kenneth supposedly has a larger role how exactly is he still finding the time and energy to still be a better rebounder than the "true SF" Barnes?  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cam1218 said:

It's only one game but watching him not step up and miss shot after shot in game 5 showed me how I really feel about him. He's going to get overpaid somewhere and it better not be here.

Well... we're more than likely going to overpay someone anyways. Whether that's both Horf and an upgrade at the wing... or just Horf. We can't really just keep scraping the $5 bin and hope to really go any further. Either overpay someone or rebuild. Are there better people worth overpaying than Barnes? Sure, but they aren't coming to the Hawks.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

He's overdue for 20 important, well-timed points tonight with all the off-ball punishment and attention Steph is absorbing. Still won't increase his stock.

He has the ability, but he will never be consistent. Marv, Jeff Green, and Barnes could all be much more than what they are. They just don't have that mentality. Tim Thomas is another guy that comes to mind. Those types of guy's play seems to range from mediocre to 'good enough to make teams re-up' which seems to suspiciously coincide with contract years.  No more smoke and mirror types on this team. No more guys who disappear. The Hawks have enough of those types already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

He has the ability, but he will never be consistent. Marv, Jeff Green, and Barnes could all be much more than what they are. They just don't have that mentality. Tim Thomas is another guy that comes to mind. Those types of guy's play seems to range from mediocre to 'good enough to make teams re-up' which seems to suspiciously coincide with contract years.  No more smoke and mirror types on this team. No more guys who disappear. The Hawks have enough of those types already.

@hawkmanThis description of these group of players is spot on, they tease you  about what they can and should be (because of body size, type, athleticism etc)  but never turn out to be quite that.