• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harrison Barnes = Not Worth it.

Diesel

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

He has the ability, but he will never be consistent. Marv, Jeff Green, and Barnes could all be much more than what they are. They just don't have that mentality. Tim Thomas is another guy that comes to mind. Those types of guy's play seems to range from mediocre to 'good enough to make teams re-up' which seems to suspiciously coincide with contract years.  No more smoke and mirror types on this team. No more guys who disappear. The Hawks have enough of those types already.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@hawkmanThis description of these group of players is spot on, they tease you  about what they can and should be (because of body size, type, athleticism etc)  but never turn out to be quite that.

Seems like Ferry was turning the tide on the teasing and hired a coaching staff that concentrates on developing players that we started signing. Whether the talent has been abundant with those players or not our coaches helped put our players in a position to succeed and win games. Many of those games have been big. The mentality part of the player's games is such an ongoing mystery and who knows if our staff really are great shrinks or is it they are able to coach the best out of whoever we have for a team concept on offense and defense. If nothing else we didn't spend the mother load  doing it so now we have numerous options.    

On 6/15/2016 at 6:15 PM, Hawkmoor said:
On 6/15/2016 at 6:15 PM, Hawkmoor said:

Baze 2.0  Football players are in the WRONG sport. The money is in baseball and basketball.  In football, you are marginal, they cut you. In baseball and basketball, you can be marginal and  you get paid and recycled and paid again.

Baze 2.0  Football players are in the WRONG sport. The money is in baseball and basketball.  In football, you are marginal, they cut you. In baseball and basketball, you can be marginal and  you get paid and recycled and paid again.

In football Bazemore and Barnes type players would barely make the roster.

6 minutes ago, Trout7 said:

In football Bazemore and Barnes type players would barely make the roster.

Not true - Paul Worrilow is not only on the roster but started for the Falcons.

On 6/15/2016 at 4:50 PM, Diesel said:

We have been looking at 3s and one name that always pops up is Harrison Barnes.   Last year, he turned down a 4 year 64 Million dollar deal... in order to go after the max.   That's moving from 16 Million per to 23 million per.

Uhm...  Barnes haven't done anything to suggest that he deserves the max.

Whaddayouthink??

I'd pass on him. If only ATL could get Iggy instead.

I forgot the exact stat, but only Harrison can patently go so cold (2 for his last 22) after being so hot early in the series.  

He, like so many small forwards seduce their coaches into thinking they're good three point shooters with good looking forms and/or hot streaks.  He isn't.  He'd be a much better mid-range shooter but that shot isn't cool anymore.

There will be ample blame to pass around, but if the Warriors lose Barnes deserves a lions' share with another paltry performance.

Edited by benhillboy

4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I forgot the exact stat, but only Harrison can patently go so cold (2 for his last 22) after being so hot early in the series.  

He, like so many small forwards seduce their coaches into thinking they're good three point shooters with good looking forms and/or hot streaks.  He isn't.  He'd be a much better mid-range shooter but that shot isn't cool anymore.

There will be ample blame to pass around, but if the Warriors lose Barnes deserves a lions' share with another paltry performance.

My issue is not even his shooting since that can come and ago,  he's just not impacting the game in any other way (rebounding, defense, etc) since his shooting is off.

They could've drafted Iguodala but...never mind, still too soon.

And as for Harrison Barnes, no. Just stop. Didn't we have enough dealing with 'potential, length, and upside' when Marvin was here? I want no part in Derrick McKey (the ultimate 11/5 teaser) wannabes who look good in a uniform but shirk away from 'step up' moments, especially when his team clearly needs someone else to bail them out when the star players don't have it that night. If he couldn't do that with the likes of Curry, Klay, and Draymond riding shotgun next to him, how can anyone expect the lightbulb to pop on with Dennis, Millsap, and Korver around? 

• Like 2

Some of you are ridiculous! First off Barnes is a consistent player his stats prove that alone and the guys only 24. Now I don't agree with giving him a max deal but I surely will take him for 14 -16m and be happy! That's the way this new NBA era is going...role players especially two way role players like Barnes are going to get paid the big bucks.

im not going to judge Barnes on games 5-7 of the finals just because he went cold. The man shot 40 and 38 percent from 3 the past two seasons on an avg of 215 attempts from 3! Curry and klay didn't show up in games 6&7 and we blaming Barnes....naw man curry had some wide open 3s that he just missed when it mattered the most in game 7 and klay didn't show up at all.

cant blame a role player when the stars ain't do their part. Anyways I will gladly accept Barnes as our new SF. He's a good 3&D player and for all the credit Iggy gets on Lebron it's very overblown! Draymond was actually better defensively against lebron followed by Barnes however Iggy and Barnes defended lebron the most and Barnes had more success according to SportsVU 

43 minutes ago, JTB said:

Some of you are ridiculous! First off Barnes is a consistent player his stats prove that alone and the guys only 24. Now I don't agree with giving him a max deal but I surely will take him for 14 -16m and be happy! That's the way this new NBA era is going...role players especially two way role players like Barnes are going to get paid the big bucks.

im not going to judge Barnes on games 5-7 of the finals just because he went cold. The man shot 40 and 38 percent from 3 the past two seasons on an avg of 215 attempts from 3! Curry and klay didn't show up in games 6&7 and we blaming Barnes....naw man curry had some wide open 3s that he just missed when it mattered the most in game 7 and klay didn't show up at all.

cant blame a role player when the stars ain't do their part. Anyways I will gladly accept Barnes as our new SF. He's a good 3&D player and for all the credit Iggy gets on Lebron it's very overblown! Draymond was actually better defensively against lebron followed by Barnes however Iggy and Barnes defended lebron the most and Barnes had more success according to SportsVU 

Well that's the thing.  He's not going to be available for $14-16mil.  It'll be mid-$20's per year to get him from them.  At that price level he can no longer be a "role" guy.  He's gotta be a top option for your team (even in the new NBA dollar-wise).

Thusly, people think, "Well, can he be that guy?  Has he ever shown he can be that guy when given the opportunity?"  Well, games 5-7 were begging for him to step up while their stars were struggling.  He responded by coming up mega-schmall so, even though it's admittedly a small sample, those few games still have value in terms of seeing how he deals (dealt) with the pressure of being asked to deliver on a big stage.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well that's the thing.  He's not going to be available for $14-16mil.  It'll be mid-$20's per year to get him from them.  At that price level he can no longer be a "role" guy.  He's gotta be a top option for your team (even in the new NBA dollar-wise).

Thusly, people think, "Well, can he be that guy?  Has he ever shown he can be that guy when given the opportunity?"  Well, games 5-7 were begging for him to step up while their stars were struggling.  He responded by coming up mega-schmall so, even though it's admittedly a small sample, those few games still have value in terms of seeing how he deals (dealt) with the pressure of being asked to deliver on a big stage.

Sure as hell isn't. If Demarre got $15M per and Baze is projected to make at least $11-14M next season, no way in the hey hey HELL is Barnes going to take $14-16M on the open market without the Warriors quickly matching (unless they have Durant's ear). Someone is going to throw some serious $$$ his way in order to keep Golden State from matching that contract in the event that Durant stays or goes elsewhere. With the $$$ he's going to get, he'd better be more than a 13/5 role player who comes up short when it matters or someone in the front office is going home; for good...

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Remember when Demarre played 2 seasons for us at 2.5/million a year.    Wow.   The good ole days.

Why you gotta brang up old sh*t tho?

4 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Sure as hell isn't. If Demarre got $15M per and Baze is projected to make at least $11-14M next season, no way in the hey hey HELL is Barnes going to take $14-16M on the open market without the Warriors quickly matching (unless they have Durant's ear). Someone is going to throw some serious $$$ his way in order to keep Golden State from matching that contract in the event that Durant stays or goes elsewhere. With the $$$ he's going to get, he'd better be more than a 13/5 role player who comes up short when it matters or someone in the front office is going home; for good...

I don't even like Baze at $11-14mil but that's just me needing to adjust my dollar-expectations for the new CBA.  That's basically an $8mil guy in the new league IIUC.

Barnes at mid-high $20's is just untenable for me.  He's closer to Marvin than many are willing to admit.

Also, I'm sure your Duke-fanhood has nothing to do with your scathing opinions on Barnes?:happy:  I suspect we'll be having a similar conversation about a certain Heat forward in a few years, btw (hehe).

I thought Barnes was about 220 (he's 210) and I would've sworn his career rebounding average was around 6 (it's 4.6).  Hell naw folk.  He's gonna be the poster child for overpayment.  I'd gladly pay a premium for Batum before I even talk to Barnes.  And Batum is soft.  This shit cray.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

You're not judging him on those final games huh.  I guess you missed what he did in the first 3 rounds, the regular season, and his career. He gets a ton of open shots due to the attention his backcourt gets and he still cant take advantage of that. He does not impact the game, is a average rebounder and defender. An older Iggy with a bad back was more impactful. 

I always thought he was another Marvin but hell Marvin might be slightly better.  

No way do you overpay for a guy that cant create his own shot, doesnt rebound better despite his size, and cant consistently knock down open jumpers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Why you gotta brang up old sh*t tho?

I don't even like Baze at $11-14mil but that's just me needing to adjust my dollar-expectations for the new CBA.  That's basically an $8mil guy in the new league IIUC.

Barnes at mid-high $20's is just untenable for me.  He's closer to Marvin than many are willing to admit.

Also, I'm sure your Duke-fanhood has nothing to do with your scathing opinions on Barnes?:happy:  I suspect we'll be having a similar conversation about a certain Heat forward in a few years, btw (hehe).

I went to Tennessee and Georgia State so I have no allegiance AT ALL to Duke players. Now if Barnes had gone to UGA or Alabama, well...

3 minutes ago, Dejay said:

I went to Tennessee and Georgia State so I have no allegiance AT ALL to Duke players. Now if Barnes had gone to UGA or Alabama, well...

Well who is it that's the Duke fan here who was yelling at me before?  Ah well.  And lol to you thinking you'd have to worry about a UGA or Bama player in the NBA.  Dominique ain't walking thru that door. :laugh: