• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight Howard Article

Wurider05

3 hours ago, JTB said:

I disagree with the article. Howard grew frustrated with the way he was handled on the rockets and he actually just had an interview on NBA radio with Jason Terry. I will say this, Howard talks an extremely good game for someone to be consider a selfish player in this league but if he's true to his word and ALL he really cares about is winning he's going to go to a team that will utilize him the right way. Jason Terry even admitted that they didn't use Howard properly during the interview and Howard indicated several times he's ready to get back to TEAM basketball. To me that means he has now understood that what was going on in Orlando under Gundy was how a TEAM is suppose to play.

Im not surprised he has had his agent set up his first two meeting with teams that move the ball. Howard doesn't want to score all the points he wants to be involved cause he knows he can be a deadly force if used properly. 

Everyone isn't seeing the BIGGER picture of adding Dwight to a front court of Millsap and Horford! Its crazy to me! WE need to get deeper. I have LONG list of reasons WHY this will work and I would be more than Happy to share it yet again with the Squawk.

P.S.

Terry said that wherever he goes he will be paying close attention. 

I think Dwight has changed. Since he changed agents and the stickum incident, he's been saying and doing the right things - the Craig Sager blood drive, the TNT interview and finally working with Shaq not against him. 

Edited by BigDog90

Thjr could most likely match Bazemore's production now @ the 2 guard position if given the chance

We only had 3 players who have any business guarding Lebron: Bazemore, Millsap and Sefolosha. Anybody else would get absolutely killed by him. I don't understand why people want to keep Horford if we have no answer for the Cavs. If we lose Bazemore and keep Horford where does that leave us?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

We only had 3 players who have any business guarding Lebron: Bazemore, Millsap and Sefolosha. Anybody else would get absolutely killed by him. I don't understand why people want to keep Horford if we have no answer for the Cavs. If we lose Bazemore and keep Horford where does that leave us?

Horford...4 time all star

Bazemore...Non starter

Who should you keep between the 2?  Only Atlanta fans struggle with that question.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bazemore...Non starter

Who should you keep between the 2?  Only Atlanta fans struggle with that question.

Nathan more so has been on the Dwight train as an ace so he's been a tad decisive in these conversations involving Dwight and Al

7 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

I think Dwight has changed. Since he changed agents and the stickum incident, he's been saying and doing the right things - the Craig Sager blood drive, the TNT interview and finally working with Shaq not against him. 

His agent is a good businessman that got his point across to D12. Being thirty now maybe D12 is actually listening to some good advice. Not too sure about the opting out move though. 

Bazemore...Non starter

If you have to max him, don't pay Horford. He's not worth it. I don't care what the cap looks like, if we give him the 5 years ~ 145 mil he's due, I don't think we'll win a championship.

I don't hate him, but I struggle to see why we should keep this team together. If we max Horford and lose Bazemore where does that leave us? Worse than last year. Just like when we had to lose Carroll to keep Millsap. Bazemore and Carroll might not be All-stars, but we can't keep losing talent with no way to replace it . We have none to spare.

What do we do next year with Millsap, max him too? A core of Millsap and Horford isn't good enough to win a championship, so why lock yourself into that when you know it's not good enough. We can't even COMPETE with the Cavs, why keep it together. At what point does this team actually add talent to improve instead of counting on salary dumps like Splitter.

This is my point: if you can't retain Bazemore and Horford while acquiring a real starting SF (which I don't think we can afford), don't do it because this team will never be good enough with just those to players. I'm fine paying Bazemore because I still think he can get better. Horford at best has stayed the same, if not gotten worse as his production has gotten worse even if his "impact" has remained. I'm not rewarding that with a max.

Nathan more so has been on the Dwight train as an ace so he's been a tad decisive in these conversations involving Dwight and Al

And I'm not on the Dwight train, I'm on the "let's make moves that at least look like we're building a contender" train. Signing either doesn't matter much to me, I just never want to see Lebron abuse us again in the playoffs. That was uglier than the first Orlando series, how I do not know.

The Cavs might not always great, but I'm tired of pretending Horford is the one who's gonna get us there. He's changed Supes. He used to be a leader by example. Now the only thing he leads is how long he's been on the team. That Cavs series was disgraceful, and I don't understand why anyone wants to keep this team together. For what? We can't get better. I'm being realistic, this team got worse from last year when we lost Carroll. And it's going to happen again if we lose Bazemore. Two guys who are easy to replace, except we can't afford their replacement because of cap issues, I mean WTF.

That's stupid. I know why it's a reality, but it's stupid. Our highest paid player was making 12 million a year ago and yet we had to sacrifice a starter so we could keep Millsap who wasn't that expensive anyways. So yeah, blow it up if we really can't trade for a star.

Horford is one of the best players in the NBA. Not getting him is not making us closer to contending. Our views on Horford are vastly different.

OK, I don't think we're better without him, but how do we get better WITH him? This could be two straight seasons we've gotten worse, when do we get better?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

OK, I don't think we're better without him, but how do we get better WITH him? This could be two straight seasons we've gotten worse, when do we get better?

By drafting and Signing better players than Bazemore as a supporting cast

By drafting and Signing better players than Bazemore as a supporting cast

Okay, but we can't sign anyone now, so how's free agency going to get better for us? And the draft is always there. You can't count on that making us better in the next 5 years.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

Okay, but we can't sign anyone now, so how's free agency going to get better for us? And the draft is always there. You can't count on that making us better in the next 5 years.

Can someone interpret the statement in bold print above?

12 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Is Shaq mentoring him on free throw shooting techniques?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

No one wants to sign with us.  Even our own players seem ready to bail out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He is saying we have a solid team in place that has made the playoffs a regular thing. We still cannot get one top tier free agent to sign here. How is being in the lottery going to help or being slightly worse as a team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Watchman said:

No one wants to sign with us.  Even our own players seem ready to bail out.

So his rational for not wanting to resign Al Horford is because free agents are reluctant to sign here?  Sounds kinda weird.

You want to sign Horford. Doing so will probably result in no other significant move being made. No Bazemore, and no replacement either. That's two years in a row we've lost a starter without replacing them. So what happens next, Millsap is gonna get paid. Dennis will get paid. Where do we find actual starters at SG and SF? Tanking isn't some magical option, but nothing has convinced me that keeping Horford will lead to us becoming a contender.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

You want to sign Horford. Doing so will probably result in no other significant move being made. No Bazemore, and no replacement either. That's two years in a row we've lost a starter without replacing them. So what happens next, Millsap is gonna get paid. Dennis will get paid. Where do we find actual starters at SG and SF? Tanking isn't some magical option, but nothing has convinced me that keeping Horford will lead to us becoming a contender.

We can get ~$24M in space pretty easily in addition to signing Horford.

7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Huh?? I don't understand.  Are you saying we won't have money to to do anything else if we resign Horford?   I might have missed something previously.

If that's what you are saying that is definitely not true.

Are the Hawks at the top of Dwight Howard’s list?

Dwight Howard might want to come home after all.

File this under the For What It’s Worth heading.

Howard has interest in playing for the Hawks. Yes, he reportedly has a meeting scheduled with the Hawks as an unrestricted free agent.

However, I’ve heard that several people in the Howard camp believe the Hawks would be the center’s first choice as a destination.

Please read this carefully:

* I do not know the level of the Hawks’ interest past an initial meeting.

* I do not know where Howard ranks on the Hawks’ list of priorities.

* I am not saying the Hawks prefer Howard over Al Horford.

* I am not saying that Howard will sign with the Hawks.

Howard was born in Atlanta and played at Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy before going directly to the NBA as the No. 1 overall pick in 2004. He has had several opportunities to return home and play for the Hawks. He has declined each time. Most recently, he passed to sign with the Rockets in 2013.

Howard recently opted out of his contract with the Rockets that would have paid him $23.2 million next season. The 30-year-old will also reportedly meet with the Celtics and there are sure to be other suitors.

Howard appeared on SiriusXM Radio on Wednesday. He did not confirm any free-agent meetings.

“I don’t know right now where I will be and I haven’t counted any team out,” Howard said. “I’m going to go into free agency open-minded. The best thing to do is to take the emotions out and figure out what is going to best for basketball for the rest of my career. I just want to be in a position where I can be who I am, be free and help a team win. I still have a lot in me to offer. Just because a couple bad seasons doesn’t really justify who I am as a person or a player.”

There are pluses and minuses with Howard. He has skills the Hawks lack – rebounding and rim protection. He is a questionable fit in the Hawks’ pace and space offense.

As I have written several times, the Hawks have the means to re-sign Horford and another max player, although that would mean parting ways with Kent Bazemore.

Again, please, I’m not saying Howard is signing with the Hawks. I’m not saying the Hawks want to sign Howard. What I am saying is according to people close to Howard, they believe Atlanta would be his first choice. I thought it worth mentioning.

http://atlantahawks.blog.ajc.com/2016/06/30/are-the-hawks-at-the-top-of-dwight-howards-list/