• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Post Al Strategies

ThomasCredle

If the reports that Al is leaning toward Boston or Washington prove to be true what do folks think the rest of our FA signings or trades should be?

We're f***ed. It's simple as that. This is why you trade him in the middle of the season IF you think there is a chance he might not come back and he's not Durant, Curry or James where a trade just won't help. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

We're f***ed. It's simple as that. This is why you trade him in the middle of the season IF you think there is a chance he might not come back and he's not Durant, Curry or James where a trade just won't help. 

OMG it's not the end.......

Just need some shooters...

• Like 2

Just now, Germantor said:

OMG it's not the end.......

It's not the end. If I had a project, I would say he's 70% out of Atlanta but we got about 7 to 8 hours to change that and we can. 

Right now, we need more of a roster fit and a lot of talent. So I am watching. I will say, I am more confident RIGHT NOW than I was on Wednesday. 

You hear that @JayBirdHawk. I still like the Dwight Howard signing as it gives us the OPTION to trade Paul Millsap or anyone else on the roster. That wasn't the case before we signed Dwight. So all in all, I am confident. 

What I heard was we would have 40 in cap if Horford walked. Well Baze and D12 add up to right at 40. I don't see any big options left in free agency. I am good with this if Al walks, its not like we have a choice. Its his choice.

I still think our rebounding will improve significantly this season; and that has been our biggest weakness vs the Contenders for quite some time. If he walks, we have:

PG - Scroeder/BU = Huge question mark

SG - Bazemore/Korver/Hardaway

SF - Prince/Thabo/Bembry, watch out for Bembry he has the potential and skills to play some SG.

PF - SAP/Muscola

C - D12/Splitter/Tavraes

I could be missing someone but this is what I can get right off the top of my head. I think Scott is gone but I could be wrong.

Edited by Buzzard

41 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

What I heard was we would have 40 in cap if Horford walked. Well Baze and D12 add up to right at 40. I don't see any big options left in free agency. I am good with this if Al walks, its not like we have a choice. Its his choice.

I still think our rebounding will improve significantly this season; and that has been our biggest weakness vs the Contenders for quite some time. If he walks, we have:

PG - Scroeder/BU = Huge question mark

SG - Bazemore/Korver/Hardaway

SF - Prince/Thabo/Bembry, watch out for Bembry he has the potential and skills to play some SG.

PF - SAP/Muscola

C - D12/Splitter/Tavraes

I could be missing someone but this is what I can get right off the top of my head. I think Scott is gone but I could be wrong.

All I see is  lateral movement with that lineup.  I've always said I wanted Dwight WITH Al AND Sap, not in lieu of either, and on top of that no Teague.   So it's essentially Teague and Horford for Dwight -  that just doesn't sit right  with me.

I don't want to let  Al leave for nothing, that's  just too good of an asset, particularly with so many teams wanting him. (I was OK letting Josh leave for nothing). 

Put it this way, we are better off with Al in the lineup than not.

Well, for starters, you have to decide if you want to max a 32 year old Millsap next off-season.

See, I prefer Sap over Horford next to Dwight, but would rather have Horford signed to a max than Sap.

So, should we trade Sap, regardless on if Horford stays or leaves? Should we roll with Sap for 1 year, then let him walk too?

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

All I see is  lateral movement with that lineup.  I've always said I wanted Dwight WITH Al AND Sap, not in lieu of either, and on top of that no Teague.   So it's essentially Teague and Horford for Dwight -  that just doesn't sit right  with me.

I don't want to let  Al leave for nothing, that's  just too good of an asset, particularly with so many teams wanting him. (I was OK letting Josh leave for nothing). 

I see D12 as a defensive upgrade at Center. Not a lot else to write home about until we see what our picks can do. I do think we needed the improvement, especially from a rebounding standpoint.

We may not have offered Horford the 151 million five year max, but I guarantee you we were willing to beat or match all four year offers to keep him. If he chooses Boston or Washington, f*** it. This is what UFA is all about and its his choice 100%.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Should have did a quick rebuild, trade Sap for pick(s), suck for a year, get a couple of top lottery selections in a good draft next year. Heck, if we traded Horford at the deadline for a top pick from this past draft (traded to Boston which became the 3rd pick), we could have already had a Dennis/Jaylen Brown/our picks to look forward to.

Instead we will now have Dwight Howard with a 22 year old PG, and aging Korver, an expiring Millsap that could walk next summer or we pay the 32 year old the max, and a freshly signed 70 mil Bazemore. Oh and a couple of rookies.

Edited by RWF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RWF said:

Should have did a quick rebuild, trade Sap for pick(s), suck for a year, get a couple of top lottery selections in a good draft next year.

Because that's a guarantee that you'll only 'suck  for a year'

3 minutes ago, RWF said:

Should have did a quick rebuild, trade Sap for pick(s), suck for a year, get a couple of top lottery selections in a good draft next year. Heck, if we traded Horford at the deadline for a top pick from this past draft (traded to Boston which became the 3rd pick), we could have already had a Dennis/Jaylen Brown/our picks to look forward to.

Instead we will now have Dwight Howard with a 22 year old PG, and aging Korver, an expiring Millsap that could walk next summer or we pay the 32 year old the max, and a freshly signed 70 mil Bazemore. Oh and a couple of rookies.

This is the gist of it but Atlanta has time right now. I truly bet it's the other teams that are working the phones trying to add more teams to the mix. I don't know about the quick rebuild part. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, RWF said:

Should have did a quick rebuild, trade Sap for pick(s), suck for a year, get a couple of top lottery selections in a good draft next year.

Instead we will know have Dwight Howard with a 22 year old PG, and aging Korver, an expiring Millsap that could walk next sumer or we pay the 32 year old the max, and a freshly signed 70 mil Bazemore. Oh and a couple of rookies.

If SAP walks, we will also have around 40 million in cap. Sap's 20 something and the cap is projected to go up around 20.

• Like 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Because that's a guarantee that you'll only 'suck  for a year'

Well if you traded Horford at the deadline like he suggested, to say like Boston, got what became Jaylen Brown. Add the #12 we got for Teague and our own.

Then traded Sap and Korver for draft picks in 2017, you would have already had a start.

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If SAP walks, we will also have around 40 million in cap. Sap's 20 something and the cap is projected to go up around 20.

I'm not cool with letting Al  walk this year, then Sap walk next year.  Not good basketball sense.

(FYI  - paying Sap at 32 a max deal is also not an option)

Here's a question - can Sap be extended? @hawksfanatic

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Put it this way, we are better off with Al in the lineup than not.

Calm down people...If Horford wants to walk...let him go and move on.  Good job on ownership to atleast making a huge effort this offseason. I must say I'm not use to Atlanta actually making noteworthy moves. After the free agency period subsides, I would expect ATL to make a trade for an impactful small forward and backup PG help.  More moves will be made before October people. Calm Down...

2 minutes ago, RWF said:

Well if you traded Horford at the deadline like he suggested, to say like Boston, got what became Jaylen Brown. Add the #12 we got for Teague and our own.

Then traded Sap and Korver for draft picks in 2017, you would have already had a start.

still doesn't mean we'd 'suck for  a year'

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not cool with letting Al  walk this year, then Sap walk next year.  Not good basketball sense.

(FYI  - paying Sap at 32 is also not an option)

Here's a question - can Sap be extended? @hawksfanatic

SAP will be gone next season...hence why were exploring trades with him. Horford does throw a huge wrench into those plans by bolting. 

So for the people mocking my strategy (this topic), how would you have built the team?

Here's the scenario, you signed Howard and Bazemore. Cap room filled. Horford leaves, Sap is turning 32 and want a max next off-season.

Go.