• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Post Al Strategies

ThomasCredle

I will be sorry if we lose Horford. I like him next to Dwight a lot. But I honestly think Bud sees D12 as a cornerstone on defense. He comes from the Spurs and they have the history of Robinson and Duncan anchoring their D for thirty odd years.

I think Bud sees Dwight as someone, if played correctly, whose career can be extended for another six years minimum. He likes Schröder, there is his Parker. If Horford leaves, we still have SAP. I like our rookie wings a lot and next season we will see what shakes lose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

SAP will be gone next season...hence why were exploring trades with him. Horford does throw a huge wrench into those plans by bolting. 

Ok  Nostradamus.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I will be sorry if we lose Horford. I like him next to Dwight a lot. But I honestly think Bud sees D12 as a cornerstone on defense. He comes from the Spurs and they have the history of Robinson and Duncan anchoring their D for thirty odd years.

I think Bud sees Dwight as someone, if played correctly, whose career can be extended for another six years minimum. He likes Schröder, there is his Parker. If Horford leaves, we still have SAP. I like our rookie wings a lot and next season we will see what shakes lose.

D12 is not a defensive cornerstone anymore. He's somewhat limited defensively. He's not Whiteside limited since he at least attempt to defend outside of the paint but you really need someone who covers a lot of ground and is an excellent communicator to succeed with D12 at this stage. I think many fans here have a very skewed view of what great defense is. 

The Spurs way was a successful one, but today's NBA, the successful (championship level) team structure is different.

It's get a star.

Then what you do see, is add more stars. Keep adding so many stars that people question how do you even have the cap for this.

Load up on talent so much, that any mock 'let's play together u guyz!' Spurs-lite team would be crushed by.

That's today's NBA. The Spurs even see that a bit.

Edited by RWF
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Germantor said:

OMG it's not the end.......

Just need some shooters...

I would try to swing a trade for Mirotic. I would possibly even give a first. 

I think having a standstill shooter who can put the ball on the floor would be a nice wrinkle for this team.   He's 6'10"  plays good switch defense and shots close to 40% from 3. 

There isn't a strategy that won't make Atlanta a flawed team next season. With or without Al, scoring will be an issue.

Going out and getting some 3rd tier scoring type won't fix things either. All you have to do is look at the Grizzlies. They've had players like Rudy Gay, Mayo, Courtney Lee, and Stevenson over the years and still didn't have the ability to outscore the truly elite Western Conference teams. Great defense is mandatory but you have to be able to shoot. Teams that win championships can do both.

Edited by Guard

• Premium Member
Just now, Guard said:

There isn't a strategy that won't make Atlanta a flawed team next season. With or without Al, scoring will be an issue.

Going out and getting some 3rd tier scoring type won't fix things either. All you have to do is look at the Grizzlies. They've had players like Rudy Gay, Mayo, and Stevenson and still couldn't outscore the truly elite Western Conference teams in the playoffs. Great defense is mandatory but you have to be able to shoot. Teams that win championships can do both.

Too much doom and gloom in your talk.   Al was a good scorer not great.  I think what you will see is that our offense will change, whether we keep Al or no.  I see a lot of PNR with Dennis/D12.. I see a lot of lobs also.   I think Dennis will take on more of a scoring role.  We will move from being more San Antonio like to being more Utah Like.   Like somebody said, we just need shooters.  We have Korver, we have Thabo, I hope we can get Jack... however, we just need one more guy.. to me, it screams for Mirotic but there may be some others. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Too much doom and gloom in your talk.   Al was a good scorer not great.  I think what you will see is that our offense will change, whether we keep Al or no.  I see a lot of PNR with Dennis/D12.. I see a lot of lobs also.   I think Dennis will take on more of a scoring role.  We will move from being more San Antonio like to being more Utah Like.   Like somebody said, we just need shooters.  We have Korver, we have Thabo, I hope we can get Jack... however, we just need one more guy.. to me, it screams for Mirotic but there may be some others. 

I'm a realist when it comes to sports man. Especially in the NBA where the parity is weak and teams that win championships share a similar formula despite style of play differences.

I have a hard time seeing this team having the same offensive output as the elite NBA teams so I'm not going to be optimistic.  Sorry if that doesn't set well with you.

If Al walks so be it..Resign Humphries at 2 years 20 mil  and Austin Rivers for 3 years 33 mil and let's win the title..

Pg Schröder/Rivers/Patterson

SG Hardaway/Korver/Bembry

SF Baze/Thabo/Prince

PF Sap/Hump/Scott

C D12/Edy/Muscala

Al  has no leverage..And I wouldn't help him in a sign and trade..

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Guard said:

I'm a realist when it comes to sports man. Especially in the NBA where the parity is weak and teams that win championships share a similar formula despite style of play differences.

I have a hard time seeing this team having the same offensive output as the elite NBA teams so I'm not going to be optimistic.  Sorry if that doesn't set well with you.

While I agree with you that the "big" three won't get it done for us as far as a championship goes, it does give us a whole lot of assets to make moves further down the line. 

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Guard said:

Just so long as you recognize that it's your own pessimism that you parade as "Realism" then it's cool.   Houston, San Anton, and Detroit won multiple championships with less effective scoring options than we have.  But hey... let's not talk about champions.. let's keep everything on a Golden State Level of scoring. 

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

D12 is not a defensive cornerstone anymore. He's somewhat limited defensively. He's not Whiteside limited since he at least attempt to defend outside of the paint but you really need someone who covers a lot of ground and is an excellent communicator to succeed with D12 at this stage. I think many fans here have a very skewed view of what great defense is. 

That is your opinion, I think Bud sees it otherwise and so do I. I get the small ball phenom that is sweeping the league, but I also know GSW missed Bogut sorely in their games against Cleveland. If you want to turn great players like Bron, Durant, and Leonard into jump shooters, it starts in the post; and that is the only way you can beat them if you can't match them.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Just so long as you recognize that it's your own pessimism that you parade as "Realism" then it's cool.   Houston, San Anton, and Detroit won multiple championships with less effective scoring options than we have.  But hey... let's not talk about champions.. let's keep everything on a Golden State Level of scoring. 

Nah, it's realism :laugh:.    The NBA is way too consistent of a product for my concerns over this team's shooting to not be justified. 

You talk about champions as if there aren't numerous teams that won championships with great scoring. More than whatever examples that you are trying to use. Your point doesn't make sense considering your holding on to the exceptions instead of the norms.  Trying to build a unicorn  type of team is harder than trying to rebuild. Especially with a bunch of 3rd option front court players.

And yes, considering Golden State hasn't fallen off, you have to focus on them from  a scoring standpoint. Cleveland and OKC both can go blow to blow with them offensively  and that's why they had certain levels of success  against them in the playoffs.  Great defense and so-so offensive oriented teams never win anything in the NBA. So not focusing on a team like Golden State wouldn't help anyone. Unless the plan isn't to win a Ship than go ahead and ignore.

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not cool with letting Al  walk this year, then Sap walk next year.  Not good basketball sense.

(FYI  - paying Sap at 32 a max deal is also not an option)

Here's a question - can Sap be extended? @hawksfanatic

Nope, no extension possible because you can only extend on the 3rd anniversary of signing. That would be after Paul's current contract ends.

But they do have Bird Rights over him, which is kinda nice.

1 minute ago, hawksfanatic said:

Nope, no extension possible because you can only extend on the 3rd anniversary of signing. That would be after Paul's current contract ends.

About time you show up, lol.

9 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

There she is! Finally!

35 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

About time you show up, lol.

I'm a bit reluctant to say it, but don't expect too much of me here. The great majority of the posters I enjoy on here due to their wit, humor, or insight have been overrun by a few bad apples, so to speak. It's not really worth it to me especially since the "block" feature doesn't work anymore when you scroll through new content.