I like our team better than last year

AtLaS

I do as well. Dennis is gonna be an absolute beast for us. Won't disappear when it counts either. He's got that fire you need to be a star. Dwight allows us not to get decimated on the boards every night and won't hang around the 3 point line all game on offense. The team is gonna be great. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Not sure why everyone is so upset.  We've had the same exact team for 5 years now.  You all are upset that we didn't maintain the status quo?  We obviously weren't going to win anything as constructed.  Kudos to Bud for shaking it up a bit.

We addressed our biggest weakness, rebounding.  Horford has gotten worse over the years and now has turned into a spot up jumpshooter.  No thanks to 30M/year for that.  Hello JJ contract all over again.  He ain't getting any better and he sucked in the playoffs.

Howard is the better player, better defender and will tremendously improve our rebounding, while also being much cheaper.  He played with ballhog Harden for the last 3 years, they didn't use him on offense at all.  I think he's going to see a resurgence here (if he stays healthy).  Even if not, I'll take his 14/12/2 over Horfords jumpshooting and no rebounding.  We were never going to win anything while facing that large of a rebounding deficit every game.

Teague had peaked.  He's not getting any better.  Schröder's per36 numbers are already nearly identical to Teague and he's 22 years old.  He has a lot more potential.  No reason to have two nearly identical players splitting minutes.  Instead we traded his one year deal for a solid young SF prospect and drafted another swing player.

In addition, Horford was offered 5/136, let him leave if he doesn't want that from us.  I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.  The cap increases again next year and we will be able to spend again. 

The positive sign is that this new ownership is not bashful about spending money.  

I like where we are headed.  

All well and good, but $4 million in cap room doesn't go very far.  Horford screwed us.  I don't care that he left, what bothers me is that we accommodated him and he left in the worst possible way.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

All well and good, but $4 million in cap room doesn't go very far.  Horford screwed us.  I don't care that he left, what bothers me is that we accommodated him and he left in the worst possible way.  

It's not our fault that he did that.  That's on Al.  We accommodated him and he decided to go to Boston.   Regardless, I think he did us a favor.  We don't need a center that stands on the 3pt line and doesn't rebound.  He's been regressing for a while.

People talk about injury prone.  Horford is more injury prone than Howard.  Did everyone really want to give Horford 30 million/year?  That's ridiculous.  

Cap spikes again next year and we will have plenty of money.  

Teague will command 100M+ next year and everyone would be pissed we didn't deal him earlier.  

Regardless, if you're pissed we lost Horford, it's not like we didn't go down swinging.   We made him a more than generous offer.  We have played this correctly.

• Like 1

Just now, AtLaS said:

It's not our fault that he did that.  That's on Al.  We accommodated him and he decided to go to Boston.   Regardless, I think he did us a favor.  We don't need a center that stands on the 3pt line and doesn't rebound.  He's been regressing for a while.

People talk about injury prone.  Horford is more injury prone than Howard.  Did everyone really want to give Horford 30 million/year?  That's ridiculous.  

Cap spikes again next year and we will have plenty of money.  

Teague will command 100M+ next year and everyone would be pissed we didn't deal him earlier.  

Regardless, if you're pissed we lost Horford, it's not like we didn't go down swinging.   We made him a more than generous offer.  We have played this correctly.

I am not angry at our management.  I am angry at Horford totally ruining our offseason plan.  He crippled us financially and left us with an incomplete roster.

• Like 1

I agree, I'm fine with us shaking things up because we needed it to be honest. Dennis earned his shot and we're Dwight's best hope at rebuilding his rep. At least with this team I know we'll play with some emotion/fire out there. I'm looking forward to seeing how Bud coaches this squad, the Dwight-Millsap pairing will also be really interesting to see. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I am not angry at our management.  I am angry at Horford totally ruining our offseason plan.  He crippled us financially and left us with an incomplete roster.

Actually he would have crippled us financially by accepting our offer.  We will have a ton of money and flexibility next year.

21 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

Not sure why everyone is so upset.  We've had the same exact team for 5 years now.  You all are upset that we didn't maintain the status quo?  We obviously weren't going to win anything as constructed.  Kudos to Bud for shaking it up a bit.

We addressed our biggest weakness, rebounding.  Horford has gotten worse over the years and now has turned into a spot up jumpshooter.  No thanks to 30M/year for that.  Hello JJ contract all over again.  He ain't getting any better and he sucked in the playoffs.

Howard is the better player, better defender and will tremendously improve our rebounding, while also being much cheaper.  He played with ballhog Harden for the last 3 years, they didn't use him on offense at all.  I think he's going to see a resurgence here (if he stays healthy).  Even if not, I'll take his 14/12/2 over Horfords jumpshooting and no rebounding.  We were never going to win anything while facing that large of a rebounding deficit every game.

Teague had peaked.  He's not getting any better.  Schröder's per36 numbers are already nearly identical to Teague and he's 22 years old.  He has a lot more potential.  No reason to have two nearly identical players splitting minutes.  Instead we traded his one year deal for a solid young SF prospect and drafted another swing player.

In addition, Horford was offered 5/136, let him leave if he doesn't want that from us.  I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.  The cap increases again next year and we will be able to spend again. 

The positive sign is that this new ownership is not bashful about spending money.  

I like where we are headed.  

All they did is shuffle a few parts. The results will be the same AT BEST.

4 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

All they did is shuffle a few parts. The results will be the same AT BEST.

Even IF that is true, we have to be optimistic for the future knowing that Ressler is willing to spend money.  That we are willing to shake things up, which is drastically different from the previous regime.  It's not like we just let Horford walk.  But as I mentioned, I think 2 years from now we will look at this as a net positive that he chose to leave based on that amount of money.

Even if we strike out and get worse, I'm happy.  We weren't winning anything with the team as constructed.  Go down swinging.  If it blows up in our face, can't fault management.  They made moves, they tried to keep Horford also.  I'm tired of us sitting back and being happy with a 45 win team as with the ASG.  I'll take this 10 times out of 10.

• Like 1

Even IF that is true, we have to be optimistic for the future knowing that Ressler is willing to spend money.  That we are willing to shake things up, which is drastically different from the previous regime.  It's not like we just let Horford walk.  But as I mentioned, I think 2 years from now we will look at this as a net positive that he chose to leave based on that amount of money.

Even if we strike out and get worse, I'm happy.  We weren't winning anything with the team as constructed.  Go down swinging.  If it blows up in our face, can't fault management.  They made moves, they tried to keep Horford also.  I'm tired of us sitting back and being happy with a 45 win team as with the ASG.  I'll take this 10 times out of 10.

No we don't. We lost a 135M asset over the matter of 6M USD. What? It only makes sense if ownership financial reins kept us to a certain figure. Now we have a hole where Teague used to play 30 minutes at borderline all star level, and capped out instead of flexible. And that's assuming Howard delivers the same number of win shares as Whoreford.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

I appreciate the different perspective, and have to agree that long-term this sets us up in a much better position, though as txting attests, for 2016-17, we're weaker. Replacing Teague, Horford and probably Scott with Prince and Howard is not a good trade, and that's essentially the trade we're having to make.

Not too hard to see us as sellers next trade deadline, with Sap at the head of the list.

In the meantime, we need to somehow fill a vacant #2 PG slot, and hope that among THjr, Bembry and Prince, we've got a piece of gold. Assuming this is the end of the line for Scott's tenure, my spreadsheet says we have $8,025,532 in room. We need to spend that, and then make a small trade of some kind that gets us over the salary cap so we can gain a full MLE ($5.6m).

What if we went on to have another 55+ win season and headed into FA with Durant available again? He would definitely like what he sees ESPECIALLY if he's getting the old D12. Would we be able to sign him and Sap with the increased cap next year?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sturt said:

I appreciate the different perspective, and have to agree that long-term this sets us up in a much better position, though as txting attests, for 2016-17, we're weaker. Replacing Teague, Horford and probably Scott with Prince and Howard is not a good trade, and that's essentially the trade we're having to make.

Not too hard to see us as sellers next trade deadline, with Sap at the head of the list.

In the meantime, we need to somehow fill a vacant #2 PG slot, and hope that among THjr, Bembry and Prince, we've got a piece of gold. Assuming this is the end of the line for Scott's tenure, my spreadsheet says we have $8,025,532 in room. We need to spend that, and then make a small trade of some kind that gets us over the salary cap so we can gain a full MLE ($5.6m).

I hope there is a way we can get a decent backup PG and still get Humphries back.  He got more rebounds in 15 minutes than Al did in 30.

1 minute ago, Misha Owens said:

Everyone has something to prove on this team ..

Dwight-Restoring Image

Millsap-Worth another Big contract 

Dennis-He can lead the franchise 

Baze-live up to 70mil

should be fun 

I hope so,

34 minutes ago, txsting said:

No we don't. We lost a 135M asset over the matter of 6M USD. What? It only makes sense if ownership financial reins kept us to a certain figure. Now we have a hole where Teague used to play 30 minutes at borderline all star level, and capped out instead of flexible. And that's assuming Howard delivers the same number of win shares as Whoreford.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If it was truly over 6M, it wasn't on us.  Shame on Al.  In addition, is 4/113 really better than 5/135?   I think our offer was better.  Horford isn't getting 22M per in 2020 when that contract expires.  He wanted to leave.

And, I'd hardly call Horford an asset at 30M/year.  This gives us cap space next year which will also have a VERY active FA class whereas with Horford we'd have nothing.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, sturt said:

Where you get that figure? We do not have the MLE or the BAE. We have the Room MLE which is like 2.7 mil.