I like our team better than last year

AtLaS

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Buy why give 70 million to Bazemore? That's just absurd.

Because those 70 million are not gonna be a whole hell of a lot in a couple of years. Even Turner got the same. That's what the market value is for those players.

• Premium Member

@NBASupes , here are my numbers... I forgot that I went ahead and cut Patterson, btw.

2016-07-02_2315.png

Also, you are correct that, on 7-2-16, we are below the cap and do not qualify for the MLE. But unless I'm mistaken--always possible--we could take back a salary in trade that is something b/t 100-150% of what we send out that would push us over the line... and thus opening up the full MLE to us.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

@NBASupes , here are my numbers... I forgot that I went ahead and cut Patterson, btw.

2016-07-02_2315.png

Also, you are correct that, on 7-2-16, we are below the cap and do not qualify for the MLE. But unless I'm mistaken--always possible--we could take back a salary in trade that is something b/t 100-150% of what we send out that would push us over the line... and thus opening up the full MLE to us.

Oh, you cut Scott and Patterson. If you cut Scott, who's the backup PF? The only way you can get the MLE is with your own FA's. We don't have one FA with full BR this year that stayed. 

Edited by NBASupes

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Oh, you cut Scott and Patterson. If you cut Scott, who's the backup PF? The only way you can get the MLE is with your own FA's. We don't have one FA with full BR this year that stayed. 

Scott's probably going to be in jail or suspended by the league.

• Premium Member

For now, Muscala.

I'd love to keep Scott, of course, but as I understand it, with his arraignment coming up, and with his taped confession in the prosecution's hands, and with any conviction of any kind (regardless even if he does no jail time) meaning automatic exile from the league for 2 years.... the smart money would seem to be obvious.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Depending on the development of Dennis and the rooks, there is a definite chance to get fifty wins, just like last season. Still, missing out on Horford as an asset simply because he prefers that his green thong matches better with the Celts jersey is a tough pill to swallow. 

11 minutes ago, sturt said:

For now, Muscala.

I'd love to keep Scott, of course, but as I understand it, with his arraignment coming up, and with his taped confession in the prosecution's hands, and with any conviction of any kind (regardless even if he does no jail time) meaning automatic exile from the league for 2 years.... the smart money would seem to be obvious.

Muscala? Ew..

• Like 1

Atlas, thank you for the level-headed post.

The big thing for me, is that we not only FINALLY get a true center here, we get to see if our two young players can take their games to the next level.

Schröder

I originally said last week that he would average 14 ppg - 6 assist.   With Dwight here, I'm going to up that assist total to 7.5  With Dennis' speed, and his ability to pass in the pick and roll, the Schröder to Howard pick and roll could be absolutely lethal, with Dwight being one of the best around the rim finishers in the game. 

The other thing I want to see, is if Edy Tavares is ready to contribute spot minutes.  If he is, the Hawks, all of a sudden, have a center rotation of 6-11 in Dwight . . . 6-11  in Splitter . . . and 7-3 in Tavares.

But Dennis is going to get a big time chance to really lead this team.  Despite the sweep by the Cavs, his play in Games 1 and 4 have to give everyone hope for the future of this franchise.  Like when Teague made his splash in the 2011 playoffs vs Chicago, and proved he was ready to lead the Hawks at the point, I think Dennis is ready to take the lead and excel next season.

Game 1

<youtube>   https://youtu.be/ELWSzhcfh7o </youtube>

Game 4

<youtube>  https://youtu.be/I30SS982Jzg  </youtube>

Bazemore

Now that he has the "baby Joe Johnson" contract, let's see how hard he works to improve.  For a while, he was hovering around being a 40% 3 point shooter, until he had that horrible February and March.   He struggled during the playoffs.  But now he has a chance to prove his worth, hopefully, by playing the 2 full time, instead of having to play spot minutes at the 3.   With Kent, improving his defensive awareness, while also not being so wild with the ball ( especially when driving to the hole ), will be key to his development.  And if he can become a consistent 37%+ 3 point shooter, he may find himself averaging 15 ppg and worthy of that contract.  Don't be surprised if he becomes our #2 scorer, behind Millsap or Horford.

You see the flashes of potential in Baze, if he can keep his game under control and really develop that 3 ball.

<youtube>   https://youtu.be/vC7CuX98Q28 </youtube>

<youtube> https://youtu.be/xuQK34saXqA  </youtube>

Taurean Prince

He's the wild card for next year.  He has enough talent to immediately crack this rotation, and be productive.  His NBA comparison is Demarre Carroll, but he's much more athletic and has more versatility to his offensive game than Demarre.  If Kenneth Faried had a jumpshot with 3 point range, he'd be Taurean Prince. 

Athletic.  Legit NBA 3 point range.  Straight energy guy.   He's a protypical 3 and D guy at SF . . who is quick enough to guard 2s and strong enough to guard smallish 4s.   When you talk about Bud and how he develops players, Prince is a guy who could develop rapidly and contribute to this team.  He's going to be good, and a fan favorite.

Watch

<youtube>https://youtu.be/-e316Z7-lOg </youtube>

<youtube>https://youtu.be/6R5CetUX6LE</youtube>

If people would just calm down and look at the team, they'd see that we have a real chance to be a very good, athletic team that can play a variety of ways.  Now granted, we'd be good if we had Horford, but that means playing Millsap some at the 3, which could limit the development and impact a guy like Prince could have.   With no Horford here, a guy like Prince will get a shot to crack the rotation immediately, and make the Hawks an extremely athletic team at times.

Let people talk that doom and gloom stuff.  The same was said about Portland last season, when they lost Lamarcus Aldridge, Robin Lopez, and Nicolas Batum.   They took a step back in the overall win total, but pulled off a great upset of the Clippers and played Golden State competitively in the 2nd round.   The big thing is that Lillard truly became a guy who is worthy of being called a top 15 player in the league, along with CJ McCollum developing rapidly into one of the best young SGs in the game.   They may be the 2nd best backcourt in the NBA, next to Curry and Thompson.

The Hawks are going to be alright.  Better than people expect.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1