• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Seems we oughta be hearing about a new Hawks D-League team anytime now

sturt

• Premium Member

It's a given that there's going to be a new SE division, since ORL and CHA both have announced some of their intentions. Sure would be nice to have another option available to us in signing up uncommitted Summer League stars.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sturt said:

It's a given that there's going to be a new SE division, since ORL and CHA both have announced some of their intentions. Sure would be nice to have another option available to us in signing up uncommitted Summer League stars.

Bud and company have been talking about it off and on for over two years. Ferry mentioned it when he was here. We Hawk's fans are still waiting for our minor league team. 

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Yea, there's a lot involved with creating a whole new team.  Not sure where in the process they are, but hopefully they are at least planning for it.

• Moderators

In-state places I'd like them to site the team (in no desired order, besides alphabetical):

* ATHENS: Hawks can do like the Raptors, and go with HAWKS 706. It'd be the best men's hoops that Stegeman Coliseum has seen in awhile! (yeah, I should talk...). The Athens Olympians would be a fun name. Easy D-League call-ups bring players right on down 316.

* AUGUSTA: They gotta have something to watch before The Masters, right? Maybe pull a few South Carolina fans away from the Hornets. Augusta Gusto!

* COLLIPARK: Fly into Hartsfield-Jackson, literally take the Skytrain across the street, get some D-League run in, and be on the next flight out. South Fulton could use a tiny boost from a steady team there. While the Georgia International Convention Center doesn't have an arena, they've got loads of space and hotel rooms in the vicinity, and the team could get the State to contribute to putting up a gym there. ATL Big Bois!

* COLUMBUS: Atlanta Hawks, Columbus Ducks! C'mon, Aflac, help us out here! At least bring back the Cottonmouths. Maybe draw some attendees from the Yellowhammer State next door. 

* GWINNETT: Infinte Energy Arena is tailor-made for D-League play. As with the College Park option, players can train during the day over in Brookhaven. OTP Cul de Sacs!

* MACON: The Centreplex folks didn't help their cause when the GHSA high-school championship games were found to be played on rims a foot further out than where they were supposed to be. But it's a good way for the Hawks to reach further out into Middle GA. Plus, any attempt to bring back a team called the Macon Whoopee is a plus in my book.

* SAVANNAH: I got nothing. But I do love the Riverfront! Savannah Guthries!

~lw3

• Like 2

Athens is too much of a college sports town.  Too many sports competing in the same market.

Augusta isn't a bad idea.  It might help the Hawks expand their reach into South Carolina.  For similar reasons I like the idea of Chattanooga to extend the Hawks reach closer to TN.  Or Columbus to go South East of ATL towards Alabama/FL.  I'm just not sure if any of these have the population to support a team.  There was an minor league ice hockey team in Augusta that move out of town a couple years ago.

Gwinnett would be cheap because of the arena.  The Gwinnett Braves see decent attendance.  Probably makes the most sense from a financial standpoint.

• Like 3

Seems like you could put a team in Birmingham, Al as a good option as well.  if in Georgia, then Gwinnett probably makes the most sense.  of course the Hawks could follow the Braves to Cobb...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

In-state places I'd like them to site the team (in no desired order, besides alphabetical):

* ATHENS: Hawks can do like the Raptors, and go with HAWKS 706. It'd be the best men's hoops that Stegeman Coliseum has seen in awhile! (yeah, I should talk...). The Athens Olympians would be a fun name. Easy D-League call-ups bring players right on down 316.

* AUGUSTA: They gotta have something to watch before The Masters, right? Maybe pull a few South Carolina fans away from the Hornets. Augusta Gusto!

* COLLIPARK: Fly into Hartsfield-Jackson, literally take the Skytrain across the street, get some D-League run in, and be on the next flight out. South Fulton could use a tiny boost from a steady team there. While the Georgia International Convention Center doesn't have an arena, they've got loads of space and hotel rooms in the vicinity, and the team could get the State to contribute to putting up a gym there. ATL Big Bois!

* COLUMBUS: Atlanta Hawks, Columbus Ducks! C'mon, Aflac, help us out here! At least bring back the Cottonmouths. Maybe draw some attendees from the Yellowhammer State next door. 

* GWINNETT: Infinte Energy Arena is tailor-made for D-League play. As with the College Park option, players can train during the day over in Brookhaven. OTP Cul de Sacs!

* MACON: The Centreplex folks didn't help their cause when the GHSA high-school championship games were found to be played on rims a foot further out than where they were supposed to be. But it's a good way for the Hawks to reach further out into Middle GA. Plus, any attempt to bring back a team called the Macon Whoopee is a plus in my book.

~lw3

All of these locations seem very doable for the Hawks. I'm in south Georgia so of course Columbus or Macon both sound very tasty to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3

Who can forget the Columbus River Dragons (I think that was the old Isiah Thomas league)?  (Or was it Phenix City, AL?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Who can forget the Columbus River Dragons (I think that was the old Isiah Thomas league)?  (Or was it Phenix City, AL?)

They are really the same town bickering over a river and who has the best barbecue.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I live in Columbus so I'd love to have the Hawks minor league team here. We had the River Dragons at one point. The Cottonmouths are the beloved local hockey team that is actually a blast to watch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I live in Columbus so I'd love to have the Hawks minor league team here. We had the River Dragons at one point. The Cottonmouths are the beloved local hockey team that is actually a blast to watch.

So Sothron, which side of the river does indeed have the best barbecue? Your tastebuds and nobody's myths included.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

Seems like you could put a team in Birmingham, Al as a good option as well.  if in Georgia, then Gwinnett probably makes the most sense.  of course the Hawks could follow the Braves to Cobb...

Unfortunately in Cobb, thanks to the Barves, there's no place left to park! #wompwomp

EPICENTER_PHOTO1.jpg

Seriously, though, it should be noted that the WNBA Dream have their practice facility in Cobb... a stone's throw from Six Flags!

http://dream.wnba.com/news/riverside-epicenter-named-exclusive-practice-facility-atlanta-dream/

~lw3

12 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Columbus. But too many of the places here don't do BBQ right. I want something that is cooked in the sauce not cooked on its own and then you add the sauce to it. Where's the flavor?

I was in Wilmington, NC until my family moved to Atlanta in '67 so adding stuff on top after the fact was a strange concept even back then to me. I'm more agreeable now to whatever I can get these days. 

9 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3

Gwinnett makes the most sense. If Hawks needed a player, it'd be a 30 minute drive vs. further places like Columbus, Savannah, Augusta, Athens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Unfortunately in Cobb, thanks to the Barves, there's no place left to park! #wompwomp

EPICENTER_PHOTO1.jpg

Seriously, though, it should be noted that the WNBA Dream have their practice facility in Cobb... a stone's throw from Six Flags!

http://dream.wnba.com/news/riverside-epicenter-named-exclusive-practice-facility-atlanta-dream/

~lw3

Looks too small to hold a D League team. Can't even hold a thousand.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, ATLSmith said:

Athens is too much of a college sports town.  Too many sports competing in the same market.

Augusta isn't a bad idea.  It might help the Hawks expand their reach into South Carolina.  For similar reasons I like the idea of Chattanooga to extend the Hawks reach closer to TN.  Or Columbus to go South East of ATL towards Alabama/FL.  I'm just not sure if any of these have the population to support a team.  There was an minor league ice hockey team in Augusta that move out of town a couple years ago.

Gwinnett would be cheap because of the arena.  The Gwinnett Braves see decent attendance.  Probably makes the most sense from a financial standpoint.

Gwinnett would be the best bet. Duluth to be more exact. The Arena has plans to build more on to the property as well. The Hawks hold a youth summer camp in Suwannee so the connection is already there. 

14 hours ago, Sothron said:

Columbus. But too many of the places here don't do BBQ right. I want something that is cooked in the sauce not cooked on its own and then you add the sauce to it. Where's the flavor?

Columbus would be nice. It didn't support the D League team in the first time but let's be clear, there wasn't no talent in the D League then compared to now.