Spud2Nique

ViewsFromTheSquawk

Alex

Capstone

Pimp

IheartVolt

Tentative:

HopefulHawksFan

(Note:  I will give spots first come, first served with the exception that people without a track record on the site will get bumped for veterans due to problems in the past of some people ditching in the middle of the draft as it takes a long time to complete.  Not a lot of time any particular day but it goes for weeks to give people that flexibility.)

• Like 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When do we start?

I'll give people another day or two to indicate interest and then we'll get it rolling.  With that in mind I'll post the rules from last season for comment / suggestions.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Here is what we ran with last year:

I will max this out at 14 or 16 so limited slots are open but we will need also some alternates if history is any teacher with this.

Here are the rules for this year:

1. Draft Format: This is a fourteen round snake draft, so Draft order goes 1,2,3,4,...14, 15, 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11,...3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3,..

2. Eligibility: You can Draft anybody that is currently in the league or is or has been draft eligible. So players eligible for the 2015 draft can be drafted as can foreign players drafted in the past or draft eligible in the past who haven't played in the NBA. Players like Josh Jackson or Harry Giles are still not eligible for this draft because they are not and have never been draft eligible.  As a clarification, you can pick pretty much anyone to coach.

3. Making Your Picks/Discussion and Debate: When it's your turn to draft, you just post (in bold) the player's name and you should do a writeup on why you chose that player. If you don't have time for a writeup, you can just make your selection to keep Draft moving and then post writeup later when you have time. Your writeup should explain why the player rules and how well they fit with your squad and why your team is now going to dominate the '10s. You should always pm the next person in the list after you pick.
Example:
AHF Team Pick: Shaquille O’Neal
I am taking Shaq to bolster my rebounding and interior defense. While he is getting older, he will be playing limited minutes on my roster behind Dwight Howard and will still be able to dominate smaller guys playing center like Al Horford [note: already selected so can be named] in the paint. Health is a concern but in round 11 there isn’t a lot of depth on the interior so this pick makes all the sense in the world.  Next person on the list has been PM'd

Discussion of picks is encouraged but do not discuss undrafted players to avoid influencing future picks. So, for example, if Wilt is picked #1 then it is a breach of draft etiquette to start discussion other available centers or how MJ is still available, etc. If you are explaining why you picked Wilt, you need to just generally address other available players or use the word "Player" as a substitute for someone specific.

Example: AHF Team Selects:  Dominique Wilkins. I took Nique because he was so dominant in the playoffs, and I don't think that Player would hold up as well as him when guarded by other elite picks. Next person on the list has been PM'd.  (Note:  Nique would not be a good choice at all as explained below).

We will keep a separate thread with a summary of all picks for easy reference.

4. Time Frame/Finances: You get the player as they are and their projected potential/output for their projected career from here on out. So if you Draft Elton Brand, you are getting the 2015-16 Elton Brand who has a very limited number of years left. If you Draft someone from this years draft you might get a young player who may project to play for 10+ years at a high level. Assume for purposes of this draft that all players get paid 1/13th of your salary cap every year so that you don’t need to bypass Joe Johnson for John Jenkins just because Joe is expensive and you already have several high salaries.  This applies equally to coaches.  If you take Larry Brown, you get the 2015 Larry Brown and not the 1995 Larry Brown.

5. Roster: Each team gets 13 players and 1 coach, no restrictions on positions...draft 13 centers if you want; only 1 coach.

6. Evaluation Criteria: Draft as if you are starting a new franchise, so consider how your team will play into the future, not just year one. That said, you can choose to weight immediate success or long-term success as you wish.

7. Trades: Teams are free to trade players, coaches or picks but the total number of incoming and outgoing roster spots must be the same. I.e., you can trade your first round pick and fifth round pick for someone’s second and third round picks but can’t trade your first round pick for a second round pick and a tenth round pick. Trades are subject to review but will only be overturned where both a number of posters and the commish (AHF) feel the trade is so unfair that it could ruin balance. Basically, we want to avoid stacking one team up with lopsided trades but trades for fit or due to different projections of talent are fine.

8. Time Limits: We'll start off with an 8 hour time limit for each pick (see note on nighttime shutdown). So when the person before you picks, you have 8 hours from then to make your selection or you are skipped. If you are skipped, the next person's clock starts and they have 8 hours. You may make up skipped picks at any time. Just post who you want when you get back to the thread. We may decrease time limit if the draft drags to a crawl and people aren’t expected to take that long if they are available. Draft moving smoothly, but we'll decide that as a group.
One Caveat: The clock does not run from 10pm-7am EST. So if team 5 makes a selection at 9pm then team 6 has until 2pm the next day (1 hour until 10pm then 7 hours after 7am.)

9. PM The Next Pick: You should PM the person after you when you make your pick so they know it's their turn. However, everyone should also follow along with the thread and know when they are up soon. Please make sure you have set your preferences to receive emails when you are PM’d.

10. Anticipated Absences – Advance Picks: If your pick is coming up soon and you'll be away, just ask in thread who will take your pm and be around to post it when it's your turn. I like to pm someone picking after me, and ideally someone that I have 2 picks before they go again so I can pm them 2 choices in case my top choice gets selected.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Is this draft on a fantasy website like ESPN,Yahoo,or an NBA app? 

On here.  This is last year's thread:

Last year's draft ran from July 2 - August 9 so you need to be really in if you want to do it.

12 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Would you care if I created one so that way we can have a set draft to make it go easier? 

What I've always thought would be cool is if we used a fantasy scoring option, example ESPN. Then totaled end of season points say for best five starters, PG, SG, SF, PF, C and then judge the team on best 13 players also. Time consuming but wth, it will be the off season anyway :biggrin:

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Would you care if I created one so that way we can have a set draft to make it go easier? 

The whole point with this setup is to make it easier for people.  Getting 14 or so people on for a draft at the same time is not doable and people like to discuss picks, make trades, etc.  You also need one with a database including players like Dario Saric who aren't in the NBA as well as coaches.  If there is a site that accommodates all of that, I'm open to it.  We do fantasy leagues on the Squawk but this is not designed to be drafted like one.

12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

What I've always thought would be cool is if we used a fantasy scoring option, example ESPN. Then totaled end of season points say for best five starters, PG, SG, SF, PF, C and then judge the team on best 13 players also. Time consuming but wth, it will be the off season anyway :biggrin:

We could definitely do that at the end of the year.  I think you'd want to minute weight the production but that would be easy to do (i.e., if you draft 3 point guards who all get 35 minutes per game you have to divide the 48 minutes at PG between the 3 not just get credit for production from 105 minutes per game).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

The whole point with this setup is to make it easier for people.  Getting 14 or so people on for a draft at the same time is not doable and people like to discuss picks, make trades, etc.  You also need one with a database including players like Dario Saric who aren't in the NBA as well as coaches.  If there is a site that accommodates all of that, I'm open to it.  We do fantasy leagues on the Squawk but this is not designed to be drafted like one.

We could definitely do that at the end of the year.  I think you'd want to minute weight the production but that would be easy to do (i.e., if you draft 3 point guards who all get 35 minutes per game you have to divide the 48 minutes at PG between the 3 not just get credit for production from 105 minutes per game).

I was thinking something a little easier math wise.  Your best five starters will get the most minutes in the NBA so just garner their total points from ESPN at the end of the season. One from each qualified position. if you want to throw in a little more easy math type reality add in the best 6th, 7th, 8th, maybe  9th ranked players, after you claim your best five starters, for the primary rotation players.

By doing a second one for the total of players drafted that would also indicate someone who knows their stuff when it comes to recognizing talent throughout the draft; 1 thru the end of the draft.

And yes, it involves a lot of luck as well with injuries, or lack there of.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I was thinking something a little easier math wise.  Your best five starters will get the most minutes in the NBA so just garner their total points from ESPN at the end of the season. One from each qualified position. if you want to throw in a little more easy math type reality add in the best 6th, 7th, 8th, maybe  9th ranked players, after you claim your best five starters, for the primary rotation players.

By doing a second one for the total of players drafted that would also indicate someone who knows their stuff when it comes to recognizing talent throughout the draft; 1 thru the end of the draft.

And yes, it involves a lot of luck as well with injuries, or lack there of.

Once you have the numbers for the season there is no reason not to just assign minutes to people and see how that shakes out.  You are doing it in a spreadsheet so it is pretty simple.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Once you have the numbers for the season there is no reason not to just assign minutes to people and see how that shakes out.  You are doing it in a spreadsheet so it is pretty simple.

Yes they are simple AHF.

But I would keep it even simpler for the sake of fun and so we don't have to ask about twenty players for their info on how they want to divvy up their teams minutes : )

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Yes they are simple AHF.

But I would keep it even simpler for the sake of fun and so we don't have to ask about twenty players for their info on how they want to divvy up their teams minutes : )

I just think you will get minutes bias with people taking credit for more minutes played than are physically possible as they ride their high minute stars.  The Hawks couldn't play both Dennis and Teague 30+ last season - that will be the reality for every team here and some more than others.

Just now, AHF said:

I just think you will get minutes bias with people taking credit for more minutes played than are physically possible as they ride their high minute stars.  The Hawks couldn't play both Dennis and Teague 30+ last season - that will be the reality for every team here and some more than others.

If a player qualifies for two positions so be it. I am not taking it that serious, so they can fudge away. I just think it would be fun, there is that word again,  to try and use something as a measuring stick to see who drafted the best players.

Best 8 players is good compromise to me vs best 7 or best 9. And that way, your young prospects can be kept on the shelf and not hurt you for their lack of playing time.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If a player qualifies for two positions so be it. I am not taking it that serious, so they can fudge away. I just think it would be fun, there is that word again,  to try and use something as a measuring stick to see who drafted the best players.

Best 8 players is good compromise to me vs best 7 or best 9. And that way, your young prospects can be kept on the shelf and not hurt you for their lack of playing time.

We've done that in the past using win share metrics.  I just think the less reliable method you use the less fun it is because the less it means.  I agree on multiple positions - you just then open up the debate of how many points Dennis and Teague are going to give up defensively if they are playing big minutes together.

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

We've done that in the past using win share metrics.  I just think the less reliable method you use the less fun it is because the less it means.  I agree on multiple positions - you just then open up the debate of how many points Dennis and Teague are going to give up defensively if they are playing big minutes together.

I remember the win/share season and the reason I mentioned ESPN is I believe they use some advanced stats as part of their fantasy scoring. I know PASPN does.