• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Watching Portis Play pisses me Off

ATLien_

This guy is a F in beast and looks even better this year than he did last year. Why o why did we not  just draft him? Why do we have to get cute. He would easily be our best big off the bench and would give us very good insurance if Millsap ask for to much money.

If I had drafted for the Hawks the last 4 years our depth would be crazy good. I said they should draft Gorgei  Dieng  they take Bebe.  I say Gary  Harris, they take Adrien Payne. I say Bobby Portis  they trade the pick for  THJ and two 2nd rounders. I say take Malik Beasley, Caris  Levert, Taurean Prince in that order we get Prince and Bembrey  which I'm happy with. This is the first time and drafted  well  since the Schröder pick. I still  think Beasley will be the better player, but Prince is  a safe pick. 

This really bites you in the butt when a guy like Baze is a free agent. Do we pay Baze 17 million with Gary  Harris in the wings? I don't know but at any rate you don't feel pressured to resign him. Getting these picks right is critical when you have multiple max players. It allows you to field a deep team.

Oh best summer league final ever.

Rant over.

Edited by ATLien_

On 7/20/2016 at 5:19 PM, AHF said:

You know I was eyeballing Portis as well.  I think he will end up a quality PF.

Portis was a excellent rebounder in college as a small forward. His lack of size for PF and lack of athletic ability and a consistent 3pt shot to be a SF were the knocks on him. A lot of people saw him as another Evan Turner but slightly bigger.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Portis was a excellent rebounder in college as a small forward. His lack of size for PF and lack of athletic ability and a consistent 3pt shot to be a SF were the knocks on him. A lot of people saw him as another Evan Turner but slightly bigger.

I have never thought about comparing the two of them.  Still can't see it.

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Portis and Turner? Do you mean Evan or Myles? I think you mean Myles.

The only thing Portis and EVAN Turner have in common is their creepy ass big weird bulging eyes coming outta they heads....shit is creepy...like psycho murderers...

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Portis and Turner? Do you mean Evan or Myles? I think you mean Myles.

I see no real resemblance there either.  Three very different players, IMO.

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

I have never thought about comparing the two of them.  Still can't see it.

It was their lack of athletic ability and the fact they both were seen as SFs that drew most of the comparisons; and they were both highly touted freshman.

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

It was their lack of athletic ability and the fact they both were seen as SFs that drew most of the comparisons; and they were both highly touted freshman.

Their games are so different, though.  Just a head scratcher for me.

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

I see no real resemblance there either.  Three very different players, IMO.

Ya I know but when he said Turner I figured Myles was a lil closer due to stature than Evan but Myles is more perimeter and Bobby is bangem...although Bobby has some perimeter too

He had a good perimeter shot in college but when the SEC tournament later rounds came around a lot of attention was paid to him and he didn't get his normal rebounds or open looks in those games. Don't know if that raised questions for the draft or not but most here liked him. Would have been a good offensive forward off the bench for us and will be in the league a long time no doubt.

When was Portis ever seen as a SF? He's not a 7 footer but he's pretty big. I think he's 6'10" and I'm about to fact check this...

He's 6'11" and I'm pretty sure without fact checking he was the center at Arkansas. The reason you maayyy have thought he was seen as a SF is because despite the fact he likely played C he used his face up skills and jumper a lot.

Having said that even if Portis would have been "the best big off the Hawks bench", Bud would have had him chilling on it all season long (until I'm proven wrong, I'll be constantly saying it). He never trusts rookies and I sadly expect it to continue.

• Moderators

Part of the deal with Bud and rookies is that he hasn't had many to work with.  Bebe wasn't in the league, Patterson wasn't NBA quality, Edy wasn't NBA ready, and Payne wasn't NBA quality. 

I expect to see some real minutes for Prince and/or Bembry this season.  Dennis was getting real minutes to start his rookie season until the nut punch happened.  Dennis is the only guy I'd say is someone a good coach could have used for any kind of regular minutes his rookie year.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The first name that comes to my mind is Hot Rod Williams maybe?  RIP.

I like Portis a lot, too.  Had his orbital bone shattered going for an O Rebound in the playoffs I think.  As soon as he returned in Summer League, he's playing with the same toughness and recklessness.  Y'all know Bud don't like that type of styled player. 

I dont sweat the litany of Hawks draft misses anymore.  I'm aware there are many more to come.  Portis will be more valuable than Bebe and Payne combined this year.

His PER was two points higher than Hardaway at 4 years younger.  I expect the  gap to widen with more minutes available to Portis with Noah's departure and Bremby bringing more to the table on both ends than Junior.  Awesome.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
On 7/22/2016 at 2:20 PM, AHF said:

Part of the deal with Bud and rookies is that he hasn't had many to work with.  Bebe wasn't in the league, Patterson wasn't NBA quality, Edy wasn't NBA ready, and Payne wasn't NBA quality. 

I expect to see some real minutes for Prince and/or Bembry this season.  Dennis was getting real minutes to start his rookie season until the nut punch happened.  Dennis is the only guy I'd say is someone a good coach could have used for any kind of regular minutes his rookie year.

Pero played a ton his rookie year.   :Bud::airquote:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I figured why my post about these two being similar threw everyone off. I thought this was about Otto Porter! I am using my old age card on this one.

Hahahahahaha hahahahahaha