• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Russell Westbrook Rumors

ThomasCredle

I know there used to be a trade specific board but didn't see it anymore on a mobile browser.  Admin please move if this should be there.   

I saw several sites talking about Westbroom and the Hawks as a good fit and possible trade partners.   Usually involved Dennis and some 1st round picks.   

Has anyone else seen anything more than pure speculation on this and what do other folks think about the possibility.   Would he resign here and if so what would you be willing to give up for him.

Also would his ball dominant style work with our coaches philosophy and approach to the game.

A top 5 player (arguably) would be huge but I'm curious if we could keep him and how much it would cost us and if the price would be too high to risk.

what do other folks think?

• Like 1

If he was available to us, I think we would have to get an agreement of some kind that he would sign with us next year. If we did, I'd send Dennis and picks or whatever it took.

Just now, Spud2Nique said:

If he was available to us, I think we would have to get an agreement of some kind that he would sign with us next year. If we did, I'd send Dennis and picks or whatever it took.

I'm with you on it.  If he agrees to resign and we have his bird rights (I am no capologist by any stretch). I think we pay the price to get a real super star in his prime.  

If Bud is a great coach he will find a way to make a player like that work.  Having a talent like that might even get Sap to take a shorter deal if he thinks he will win a title and not destroy our cap flexibility.   

My only concern is do we create Kobe - Harden 3 here and Dwight doesn't like playing with another ball dominat guard.   Maybe he is ready to just want to win but history makes me leary of that.   

Even with that he would he he best player in the ATL since Nique was flying around the Omni!

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nba-landing-spots-russell-westbrook.html/?a=viewall

http://www.sportsrageous.com/nba/nba-rumors-hawks-acquire-russell-westbrook-dennis-Schröder-two-first-round-picks/34247/

http://smittyssportsmachine.sportsblog.com/posts/21113729/why-russell-westbrook-makes-sense-in-atlanta-.html

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2016/07/05/could-the-hawks-land-russell-westbrook/

Those are the stories I saw.  Like I said they are all pretty much speculation and I didn't read anything I thought was really something to get excited about.   That was why I was wondering if anyone else had seen or read something with more teeth that might be real possibility not just click bait from a site or author

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I guy that couldn't win a championship playing with the 2nd best player in the league should be signed at all cost? :blink:

That is a definitely valid point

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I guy that couldn't win a championship playing with the 2nd best player in the league should be signed at all cost? :blink:

I wouldn't call KD the second best player in the league.   Maybe he's top 10. 

I don't know if Westbrook would conform to Budstyle. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I haven't heard one legit rumor to this day. If he's traded, it won't be now.

I can see the urgency for them to want to trade him now more than later.   The whole league knows that he's leaving in the offseason.   Not just to test the waters, but to leave.  IF I were OKC, I would be talking to LAL to see what I could get for Westbrook.  The longer they wait, the more likely they get nothing. 

A player who can get to the basket at will..will fit any offense. Westbrook just goes into hero mode too often, but hell thats what he's had to do since he came in the league as one of only 2 scoring options on his team. He could Tony Parker on steroids if he buys into moving the ball.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

I know there used to be a trade specific board but didn't see it anymore on a mobile browser.  Admin please move if this should be there.   

I saw several sites talking about Westbroom and the Hawks as a good fit and possible trade partners.   Usually involved Dennis and some 1st round picks.   

Has anyone else seen anything more than pure speculation on this and what do other folks think about the possibility.   Would he resign here and if so what would you be willing to give up for him.

Also would his ball dominant style work with our coaches philosophy and approach to the game.

A top 5 player (arguably) would be huge but I'm curious if we could keep him and how much it would cost us and if the price would be too high to risk.

what do other folks think?

@ThomasCredle   This was discussed previous.  It's in the 'NBA TRADE IDEAS' section

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm trying to figure out what's the difference between Westbrook in OKC and Westbrook in Atlanta.   Both teams basically have the same ceiling!

Which OKC? Last year's or their current roster? Westbrook in Atlanta today makes us instant contenders, as opposed to being just a playoff team in OKC.

If a guy of Durant's character had a hard time playing with Westbrook, you think it would be any better with Dwight?

He's a ball stopper like Harden.  I see way too many issues with chemistry pairing those two together unless Westbrook buys into Bud ball which I highly doubt.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DS5 said:

Which OKC? Last year's or their current roster? Westbrook in Atlanta today makes us instant contenders, as opposed to being just a playoff team in OKC.

That is just the belief of delusional Hawk fans...Westbrook does not make us a contender sorry

2 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

If a guy of Durant's character had a hard time playing with Westbrook, you think it would be any better with Dwight?

He's a ball stopper like Harden.  I see way too many issues with chemistry pairing those two together unless Westbrook buys into Bud ball which I highly doubt.

You know he averaged double digits assists last season, right? And he's nothing like Harden, zero resemblance in their game. 

4 minutes ago, DS5 said:

You know he averaged double digits assists last season, right? And he's nothing like Harden, zero resemblance in their game. 

I get the numbers, but watching him and going off feel I still don't see him as a ball mover or fit for our offense.  It's not that he doesn't pass, but when he gets in his mind that he can take over a game all bets are off.  That can be a good thing (going up 3-1 on the Warriors), or a bad thing (getting cocky up 3-1 on the Warriors and losing the series).  I think some of that stubbornness is what pushed Durant away and may make it hard for him to tweak his game some.

From a USA Today article (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/07/18/kevin-durant-nba-free-agency-thunder-warriors-russell-westbrook/87275316/):

As one Warriors person had described it even before Durant came their way, there are no hockey assists with Westbrook – the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the shot. More often than not, he’s either scoring on the possession or assisting. All season long, the Warriors’ intel that Durant had grown frustrated with that aspect of his Thunder experience was the root of their free agency confidence.

That pretty much goes away from our offensive way of thinking, we don't like ball stoppers.  He's a big stats guy, but to make the assist he still has the ball in his hands a lot of the time.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

A player who can get to the basket at will..will fit any offense. Westbrook just goes into hero mode too often, but hell thats what he's had to do since he came in the league as one of only 2 scoring options on his team. He could Tony Parker on steroids if he buys into moving the ball.

I would not put Westbrook with Dwight.   Dwight just left a system where the guard took over too much.  SHaq said that Dwight should slap the next PG that did that.  That means Dennis too.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

That is just the belief of delusional Hawk fans...Westbrook does not make us a contender sorry

East isn't as strong as the West and Cleveland will likely be worse. Westbrook would make us a contender. We would be arguably the 2nd favorite team to represent the East if we did get him without giving up too many players.