• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Butthurt Report: Atlanta Hawks Review by Fansided.

Diesel

• Moderators

I think we are all bitter and showing it with Horf right now.  We don't have anyone who is a Hawks legend since Nique.  Guys were either too short-term (Mutombo) or not special enough (Horf, JJ, Mookie, etc.).  Lots of guys to like but no legends.  I hate the way Horf left but I'm not going to crap on him for what he meant to the team.  I contended during the JJ, Josh & Al days that Al was the best player on the team and still think that was the case.  Not sure anyone is going to remember him ten years after he is done anymore than the way we diehards remember Kevin Willis or Mookie.  For most NBA fans it will be a reaction like "oh yeah, I remember that Al Horford guy.  Didn't he play for the Hawks and Selts?"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think we are all bitter and showing it with Horf right now.  We don't have anyone who is a Hawks legend since Nique.  Guys were either too short-term (Mutombo) or not special enough (Horf, JJ, Mookie, etc.).  Lots of guys to like but no legends.  I hate the way Horf left but I'm not going to crap on him for what he meant to the team.  I contended during the JJ, Josh & Al days that Al was the best player on the team and still think that was the case.  Not sure anyone is going to remember him ten years after he is done anymore than the way we diehards remember Kevin Willis or Mookie.  For most NBA fans it will be a reaction like "oh yeah, I remember that Al Horford guy.  Didn't he play for the Hawks and Selts?"

I agree with most of this except for the last part. Are we forgetting Horford was a big part of why we made our first, I repeat first, ever eastern conference finals? That put back game winning tip was a huge moment in Hawks history. We also have the 2nd longest consecutive playoff streak after the spurs, making the playoffs every year since he's been drafted. Now I know none of this means jack without a championship or even finals appearance, but the original question was in reference to Hawks history. Basically he's accomplished things that previous Hawks haven't.

Edited by HighFlyer

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Josh did not do more for the franchise than Horf.  Other than the dunk competition there is nothing to back that up.   

Well, number 1, the dunk competition and him winning it, made us relevant for the moment. 

2nd, I think he is in the top ten of every franchise statistic that we measure. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, HighFlyer said:

I agree with most of this except for the last part. Are we forgetting Horford was a big part of why we made our first, I repeat first, every eastern conference finals? That put back game winning tip was a huge moment is Hawks history. We also have the 2nd longest consecutive playoff streak after the spurs, making the playoffs every year since he's been drafted. Now I know none of this means jack without a championship or even finals appearance, but the original question was in reference to Hawks history. Basically he's accomplished this previous Hawks haven't.

Al was a part of why we got out of the semifinals.  Hell, so were DMC and Teague. .. the point is that that's the way our team rolled.   But I will give him that.  That game 5 was the most significant Game of Horf's career.   But that Game 6.. Thank  God for DMC, Sap and Teague. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, HighFlyer said:

I agree with most of this except for the last part. Are we forgetting Horford was a big part of why we made our first, I repeat first, ever eastern conference finals? That put back game winning tip was a huge moment in Hawks history. We also have the 2nd longest consecutive playoff streak after the spurs, making the playoffs every year since he's been drafted. Now I know none of this means jack without a championship or even finals appearance, but the original question was in reference to Hawks history. Basically he's accomplished things that previous Hawks haven't.

That moment would mean more to me if we actually won a game in the conference finals instead of getting swept with impunity.  During that ECF, Al put up  per game 11 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 0.3 steals, and 0.5 blocks.  He totaled 4 trips to the free throw line and zero 3s.  Just saying I don't think it qualifies as iconic.  We Squawkers will remember that moment.  The rest of NBA fans won't.

I also don't think the consecutive playoff steak is that big of a deal historically so that Horford would stand out from the crowd of Mookie, Willis, etc. type players.

Bear in mind we made the playoffs 18 of 22 seasons during which Willis and Mookie were playing.  Do we view them as some type of Hawk legend?  Nope.  I don't think we will with Horford either.  Al made 4 All-Star teams and averaged 6.25 points per game.  He peaked at All-Star reserve on a decent team.  Very good player but how memorable?

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

That moment would mean more to me if we actually won a game in the conference finals instead of getting swept with impunity.

I also don't think the consecutive playoff steak is that big of a deal historically so that Horford would stand out from the crowd of Mookie, Willis, etc. type players.

Bear in mind we made the playoffs 18 of 22 seasons during which Willis and Mookie were playing.  Do we view them as some type of Hawk legend?  Nope.  I don't think we will with Horford either.  Al made 4 All-Star teams and averaged 6.25 points per game.  He peaked at All-Star reserve on a decent team.  Very good player but how memorable?

One again, this is Hawk History we're talking about. A history that doesn't have much to brag to begin with. If we had a history of the Celtics, lakers, hell even the magic then I would understand this more. While his individual numbers aren't there, he's been a big part of most of our major milestones. It may be I'm a younger Hawks fan and I don't remember the other guys as well but I also think some of the salt of him leaving is affecting some of the comments in here.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

OK.  This puts some new meat on the bone.  Sidebar...

Which is worse(better?)...  The Hawks 9 playoff streak.. 1 ECF .. or the Braves 14 Penant streak.. 1 championship.  or the Falcons getting to the superbowl?

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Diesel said:

OK.  This puts some new meat on the bone.  Sidebar...

Which is worse(better?)...  The Hawks 9 playoff streak.. 1 ECF .. or the Braves 14 Penant streak.. 1 championship.  or the Falcons getting to the superbowl?

Braves streak is best.  It is the most impressive (making the playoffs is tougher) and it included a ring.  This is a no-brainer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I guess... it goes like this (For the Atlanta Hawks)...  IMO...

1.  Nique.

2.  Joe Johnson

3.  Dikembe Mutombo

3.  Mookie Blaylock  

3.  Al Horford

3.  Josh Smith

4.  Shareef.

4.  Steve Smith

5.  Doc Rivers

That's right a 4 way tie for third. 

That's a sad fckn list  : (

Edited by IheartVolt

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Nique

Spud (Webb!!)

Mookie (how dare anyone disparage his history among Hawk greats!)

Willis

Smitty

Deke

Doc

Plastic Man

Hawks Twitter Account

Rathbun / Stinger / Holman

Ryan Cameron

LethalWeapon3

Harry

Brianna the cheerleader

Teague

DMC

Bibby

Horf

JJ

Josh

The guy who washes the dirty uniforms

CViv

@kg01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol

1.  Nique.

2.  Joe Johnson

3.  Dikembe Mutombo

3.  Mookie Blaylock  

3.  Al Horford

3.  Josh Smith

4.  Shareef.

4.  Steve Smith

5.  Doc Rivers

I'd put Smitty a little higher but I can dig it.

1.  Nique.

2.  Joe Johnson

3.  Dikembe Mutombo

3.  Mookie Blaylock  

3.  Al Horford

3.  Josh Smith

4.  Shareef.

4.  Steve Smith

5.  Doc Rivers

Kevin willis

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, AHF said:

Braves streak is best.  It is the most impressive (making the playoffs is tougher) and it included a ring.  This is a no-brainer.

I think that the Braves were more talented than everybody else... especially on the mound.  But making the playoffs = tougher for Baseball??  I have to disagree a bit. 

Getting to the ECF is hard.  I think you can go down the line for like.. Back to Bulls Pistons and you would be hard pressed to find more than 2 times that the same teams meet in consecutive ECFs.  I think Indy/Miami did it before George got hurt... but before that.. It may have been Bulls Pistons from the late 80s??    Celtics Cleveland??

Point is that getting to the final four is hard...  That's why I have respect for what the Hawks did a few years back. Basketball is a game that has been played since 1946 (70 Years) with up to 30 teams... but there are 14 current teams that have not won a championship.   Actually,  since Jordan left in 1999, only 7 teams have won the championship.   So winning.. is hard. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Germantor said:

Kevin willis

I was never really moved by Willis' impact.  He may be 7 or so on my list.  I mean, Paul Millsap has to go either 5th or 6th... and then you got to put Teague on the list.  

Maybe we've done it before, but an alltime ranking of our Hawks with designations for legends.. and just keep it to Atlanta and after 1980.  So Nique and beyond. 

Like Roundfield.. is he a legend?  Is Horford just a new rendition of Dan Roundfield?

Where does Augmon go?  Is he out of the top 10??

Marvin Williams vs. Al  Henderson. ??

Mike Bibby vs. Johnny Davis??

Jamal Crawford vs. Eddie Johnson??

Al Harrington vs. DMC??

Korver vs. Craig Ehlo??

13 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.  Nique.

2.  Joe Johnson

3.  Dikembe Mutombo

3.  Mookie Blaylock  

3.  Al Horford

3.  Josh Smith

4.  Shareef.

4.  Steve Smith

5.  Doc Rivers

I tell you what Diesel since I'm a nice guy I'm gonna help ya out here..

1. Nique

2. Mookie

2. Deke

2. Smitty

3. Horford

3. Joe Johnson

4. Doc Rivers

5. Josh Smith

5.  SAR

This is going off players you named. I mean you skipped Willis, Grant Long, Jason Terry, Spud, etc. but just off ur list, I fixed it.

14 hours ago, AHF said:

Add to that that A Tribe Called Quest rapped about the Braves  (and UK! #BBN), but nary a mention of the Hawks. Getting props from a Queens kid for a southern team (and before Southern rap was on the map) has some weight. 

RIP Phife Dawg

• Like 1