• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight should start to shoot free throws underhanded

capstone21

Somebody's gotta try it.  IIRC Drummond said he'd rather miss than try underhanded. #TeamPlayer

Not sure why it's less embarrassing to go up there and straight brick free throws.  At least try something new.

I'm pretty sure I remember Dwight saying he'll never do underhand at his press conference introducing him as a Hawk.

We may just have to grin and bear it.  If he can get anywhere mid to high 50's I'd be ok with it but that's me being optimistic and thinking they can improve him like they did Bazemore.

Either way,  @Gray Mule will probably get tired of mentioning how many games we lose because we can't make our free throws!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Either way,  @Gray Mule will probably get tired of mentioning how many games we lose because we can't make our free throws!

Gray may get a hoarse throat from saying it but he will still be absolutely right.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

From the open scrimmage it was just hard to believe that his form hasn't been corrected better than it has.   Way too much back spin on that ball.   It's like when he steps up in a game he just reverts to how he shot in high school.   It doesn't have to be under handed but it should be a total overhaul of what he's doing because it ain't working and it isn't close to being good form.   It's never going to work the way he's shooting.  

48 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

From the open scrimmage it was just hard to believe that his form hasn't been corrected better than it has.   Way too much back spin on that ball.   It's like when he steps up in a game he just reverts to how he shot in high school.   It doesn't have to be under handed but it should be a total overhaul of what he's doing because it ain't working and it isn't close to being good form.   It's never going to work the way he's shooting.  

This is going on with Kyle Korver on the same practice floor with Dwight. A little bizarre. Embrace your coaching future Kyle. 

I wonder if anyone has ever considered shooting a hook shot on their free throw attempt.

On a different note, a few weeks ago I watched part of an old game between the New Orleans Jazz and Detroit Pistons (Maravich vs. Lanier).  When Maravich shot his free throws, he stepped into it from further back in the circle, like he was shooting a jump shot, without the jump.  Of course, that wouldn't help Howard much.

10 minutes ago, Dnice said:

He and Drummond should do that tonight, it's just exhibition.

I'd recommend they use the glass if they shoot underhanded.

• Moderators

Nobody should try it without putting in the work to get a stroke down regardless of what style shot you are talking.  

Per the prior thread on this linked above, you can see Wilt had success doing this but abandoned it because of his 'pride.'  A better word would be vanity.  These guys are too vain so they prefer image over performance.  They feel that shooting underhand isn't how a real man does it so instead of trying to be successful they try to 'look good' first and satisfy their vanity and then work on their free throws only within that vein, ignoring the opportunity to genuinely improve.

We're stuck with the bad free throw shooting from him.  Hopefully he will improve some but all those videos from this summer are worth about as much as a player saying "I had a great summer and put in so much work."  Doesn't mean jack until you show it on the court.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

After 30 years of shooting over handed, changing will do nothing for him but have a very steep learning curve.

Every time I've heard Rick Barry speak on the subject, he's indicated that this is not the case.  Says STTE that underhanded is so much more natural a motion that people take to it much more quickly.  I'm paraphrasing based on my oftentimes faulty remembry but Barry is adamant that, with some work of course, he can significantly improve these guys.  They just won't ask.

IIRC, he said he worked with Shaq behind closed doors but that Shaq refused to try it in games.

9 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

He would probably be even more scared to shoot underhanded and still miss a lot of them.

When the Hawks signed him, they knew it would be this way. My major concern with Howard as of now is foul trouble. Making his FTs is a bonus.

I do agree that if he tried it and still missed, it would be pretty jarring.  Also agree that when we went after him we probably figured we'd be ok with the FT shooting.  The other parts of his game were too enticing.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Every time I've heard Rick Barry speak on the subject, he's indicated that this is not the case.  Says STTE that underhanded is so much more natural a motion that people take to it much more quickly.  I'm paraphrasing based on my oftentimes faulty remembry but Barry is adamant that, with some work of course, he can significantly improve these guys.  They just won't ask.

IIRC, he said he worked with Shaq behind closed doors but that Shaq refused to try it in games.

I do agree that if he tried it and still missed, it would be pretty jarring.  Also agree that when we went after him we probably figured we'd be ok with the FT shooting.  The other parts of his game were too enticing.

Barry was also an arrogant ass so he always thought that what he did was the best thing.   I'm not sure I'd want to take his advice either.  

Just now, macdaddy said:

Barry was also an arrogant ass so he always thought that what he did was the best thing.   I'm not sure I'd want to take his advice either.  

Ah man, I was hoping no one would call me on that.  Can't get nothin' past you , macd.

Barry is an arrogant arse.  What's worse is it passed to his son Jon who's as arrogant with not hardly the (playing career) resume Rick B. has.

Doesn't necessarily mean he's totally wrong on the FT thing but his opinions are steeped in arrogance.