• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Moose love

sturt

Change to shooting motion has paid off for Muscala

After a summer dedicated to changing his jump shot, Mike Muscala summed up the final results in the simplest of ways.

“It just feels better,” he said.

The Hawks’ forward/center spent hours in the gym changing the release of his already steady shot. It has paid dividends early this season. Muscala has averaged 11.0 points through three games. His field-goal percentage of .667 (12-of-18) ranks fourth in the NBA. He trails teammate Thabo Sefolosha, who leads the league with a percentage of .706.

Muscala, much like Kent Bazemore when he arrived with the Hawks, cocked his wrist too much in his motion. Working with Hawks assistant and shooting coach Ben Sullivan, Muscala tweaked the motion.

“He is big on release point,” Muscala said. “I, sometimes, would **** (the ball) back too much and flip it forward instead of up and out. Watching guys like Steph Curry, he is the epitome of that shot. More from the center of your body. Maybe it’s not as high of a release point because it’s just straight up and out but it’s quick. It’s easy to repeat because there aren’t as many moving parts.”

Most notably, Muscala was 7-of-8 from the field on his way to 14 points in a win over the 76ers on Saturday. He hit from mid-range time and again, with his only miss was a 3-point attempt. While Muscala has made 1 of 4 from long range through three games, he and the Hawks are confident he has improved from that distance as well.

Muscala, 25, has become a regular part of the Hawks’ playing rotation. He has been the first player off the bench in all three games. He has added 12 rebounds, five blocks, three assists and three steals and averaged 22 minutes per game.

Sullivan would not detail the changes, but said Muscala has dedicated himself, on and off the court, to strong habits that resulted in the difficult change of muscle memory.

“We made a couple of adjustments to make him feel more comfortable,” Sullivan said. “He feels comfortable. He feels confident. He feels good. He’s out there and not thinking about it and is able to relax and shoot. That, at the end of the day, is what I was hoping to do. He’s made most of the changes himself.”

The 6-foot-11 Muscala appeared in 120 games in his first three seasons with the Hawks. The team acquired his rights on draft night in 2013 after he was chosen in the second record in 2013. He averaged 3.9 points, with a .505 field-goal percentage, and 2.4 rebounds in 10.6 minutes. His role has significantly increased this season.

“I think he is very confident in his shot,” coach Mike Budenholzer said. “He is making that mid-range, that 15-17 footer. … He is that versatile big that we like, who can make a 3, can make a 15-footer, can finish around the rim, can make decisions, plays with pace, can defend. He’s a good young player.”

Tim Hardaway Jr. and Muscala were constant presences at the Hawks’ facilities all summer long, according to those around the team. They worked out, ate and socialized together as both trained to make significant improvements to their games. There was a lot of stake. Hardaway will become a restricted free agent following the season after the Hawks did not extend his rookie contract.

Muscala enters the final year of his contract Hawks and will become an unrestricted free agent. He fought to make the Hawks’ roster with a partially guaranteed contract when 15 others had full guarantees.

“It was a matter of whether he wanted to change it and become a more consistent shooter,” Hardaway said. “As you can see right now, he is just that. He is automatic from 15 to 17 feet out and he can knock down the 3 really, really well for a guy his size.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/change-shooting-motion-has-paid-off-for-muscala/nXgEuXBSY7i0xWGg6FZLoJ/

20 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He thinks he looks like this...

but it really really doesn't.

More like...

I wonder if he's trying to be seggsy or is it actually functional for him?  CViv will get to the bottom of it I'm almost certain.

Also, you are now tasked with putting together a 'he thinks it looks like this, but it looks like that .." for @Spud2Nique and his fatty physique that he thinks is buff.

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

giphy.gif

Or "Hipster!"

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I wonder if he's trying to be seggsy or is it actually functional for him?  CViv will get to the bottom of it I'm almost certain.

Also, you are now tasked with putting together a 'he thinks it looks like this, but it looks like that .." for @Spud2Nique and his fatty physique that he thinks is buff.

Or "Hipster!"

IMG_6619.GIF

I have to admit that Moose has come a long way, and fully took advantage of the Mike Scott and Tiago Splitter injuries.  This dude is flat out playing winning basketball, especially on the offensive end.  Along with Thabo, Malcolm, and Timmmmmay Jr, they have formed the best bench in basketball so far this season.

To let everyone know just how important rebounding is, you just have to look at the play he made in the Cleveland game

That was Moose going over top of Lebron James and Tristan Thompson for an offensive rebound that he timed perfectly, and dunked it before they could even get off the ground.  That's a play that neither Scott nor Splitter makes.   Hell, that's a play that Millsap nor Horford makes.  It's a great hustle play that illustrates the new toughness that this team has exhibited these past 3 weeks.

You just have to wonder if this is just a good stretch of great basketball from Moose and Thabo, or will they revert back to their mediocre norms?   Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of the way Moose is playing now.  And when Splitter and Scott comes back, Moose's minutes should NOT be cut.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And when Splitter and Scott comes back, Moose's minutes should NOT be cut.

Honestly, they should be done with Splitter. The bench bigs should be Moose/Scott and for more physical matchups, sprinkle in a little Humphries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I have to admit that Moose has come a long way, and fully took advantage of the Mike Scott and Tiago Splitter injuries.  This dude is flat out playing winning basketball, especially on the offensive end.  Along with Thabo, Malcolm, and Timmmmmay Jr, they have formed the best bench in basketball so far this season.

To let everyone know just how important rebounding is, you just have to look at the play he made in the Cleveland game

That was Moose going over top of Lebron James and Tristan Thompson for an offensive rebound that he timed perfectly, and dunked it before they could even get off the ground.  That's a play that neither Scott nor Splitter makes.   Hell, that's a play that Millsap nor Horford makes.  It's a great hustle play that illustrates the new toughness that this team has exhibited these past 3 weeks.

You just have to wonder if this is just a good stretch of great basketball from Moose and Thabo, or will they revert back to their mediocre norms?   Either way, I'm enjoying the hell out of the way Moose is playing now.  And when Splitter and Scott comes back, Moose's minutes should NOT be cut.

I'm just gonna enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Honestly, they should be done with Splitter. The bench bigs should be Moose/Scott and for more physical matchups, sprinkle in a little Humphries.

Humphries has struggled recently but still brings the toughness we need.  Anyone know if his knees giving him trouble - he has had them wrapped for games.

Regarding Scott - he is still the unknown, it will take him awhile to get back in basketball shape.

Splitter can still be useful if he ever stays on the court