• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks release Edy ; Sign Ryan Kelly

JohnnyCASH

Mike Scott's initial injury and subsequent knee treatment and 4 week recovery was why Edy got cut.

Moose's unexpected play as the backup PF in Scott's absence has surprised EVERYONE.  No one can honestly say they saw this kind of production from Moose.  That is why Kelly was added.

With Moose showing he can be an adequate backup PF and with Dwight's injury - RKelly can be gone and bring back Edy.  As always Edy's size is intriguing but it has to be more than just size.

• Premium Member

Moose' production is a surprise, but his role is unchanged, imo. He's not a traditional PF, but he's also not a traditional C.

Kelly is the new Scott until the old Scott returns... and once that occurs, assuming no new injuries (... he said, fully cognizant that D8 said his leg hurts, and knocking on wood... ) I'm persuaded we'll see a 3rd PG on the roster replacing Kelly.

Gotta be extra anxious right now for Splitter to get back.

One thing we learned last night is Bud will pick and choose which Cs he'll have Moose guard. Clearly he thought even the shorter white guy vs. the behemoth Heat C was a better option for those few minutes Hump was on the floor.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Moose' production is a surprise, but his role is unchanged, imo. He's not a traditional PF, but he's also not a traditional C.

Kelly is the new Scott until the old Scott returns... and once that occurs, assuming no new injuries (... he said, fully cognizant that D8 said his leg hurts, and knocking on wood... ) I'm persuaded we'll see a 3rd PG on the roster replacing Kelly.

Gotta be extra anxious right now for Splitter to get back.

One thing we learned last night is Bud will pick and choose which Cs he'll have Moose guard. Clearly he thought even the shorter white guy vs. the behemoth Heat C was a better option for those few minutes Hump was on the floor.

Does this mean we will never play Scott?  I see Kelly as purely insurance.  We will not play him anytime in the foreseeable future and he is not there to fill Scott's role.  He is there to help if Moose gets hurt.

• Moderators

It's easy to forget that Scott is really good.   He'd actually be really effective playing with Dwight I think.   Of course, the other thing we know is that if Scott has any leg injuries then his shooting disappears which is why they aren't rushing back i assume.   

• Premium Member

Yeah, I didn't mean Kelly = Scott / Scott = Kelly in terms of minutes. I agree that Scott's (of course) a superior player, and sometimes has even carried this team to wins on occasion. I totally agree he will get minutes when he's healthy (and assuming it's now safe to assume... I'm doing a lot of knocking on wood today... that he's going to make it through the legal calendar now that we've learned a first continuance was granted).

It will be interesting to see whose minutes suffer, though. Great problem to have.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

It's easy to forget that Scott is really good.   He'd actually be really effective playing with Dwight I think.   Of course, the other thing we know is that if Scott has any leg injuries then his shooting disappears which is why they aren't rushing back i assume.   

This is the end of week 2 for Mike Scotts 4 week injury timetable.

It's unclear if the 4 weeks includes getting in bball shape etc. Or if he's ckeared to start practicing after 4 weeks.

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I think we'll see a lot of Mike Scott and Dwight Howard once Scott gets healthy. Just a feeling.

15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

size is intriguing but it has to be more than just size.

Thank you. Been trying to get ladies to believe me on this for years.

Anyway, with as good as Moose has been playing and an impending logjam in the front court, I am smelling a possible trade, even if it is just for picks (or the dreaded and much less intriguing "cash considerations").

10 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Thank you. Been trying to get ladies to believe me on this for years.

Anyway, with as good as Moose has been playing and an impending logjam in the front court, I am smelling a possible trade, even if it is just for picks (or the dreaded and much less intriguing "cash considerations").

I think we are talking about different things.  Size matters :angel:

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ryan Kelly actually looks pretty good on the court but I'm still unclear what position he is.   Can't see him effectively guarding 4s anytime soon but I really don't know much about him. 

From what I saw last year with the Lakers I guess he's a stretch 4. But you are right, he can't guard other 4's very well.