• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are we going to use our picks for this year?

aali34

• Premium Member

I know its early, but I watch a bit of college basketball and and want to know the opinions of other people who may also watch some.

Since the point guard, shooting guard, and small forward positions are locked up for the present and future, it makes the most sense to draft a front court player in the upcoming draft. Because the Hawks lack a "super star", I usually look at players that can do more than just fill a role. I want guys with upside and potential, even if its an unfinished product. The problem is there are only 2 legit centers in the first round and they may hover in or close to the lottery(outside of hawks reach) and there are no power forwards in this draft that interest me at all (They pretty much suck). I like when a player (regardless of position) can guarantee me these things - Defense, rebound at their position, hustle, and have a workable jump shot. Anything else depends on which position you play. What criteria would you like a player to have to be drafted by Atlanta?  If the hawks can't find a player they like would y'all be okay with them pulling another Hardaway(trading the pick), and which player would you prefer?

• Moderators

I'm gonna go to my grave certain that the Hawks were waiting for Domantas Sabonis to fall into our lap last June. (Freaking Magic. That's OK, we got Taurean now.)

So, power forward? Sap insurance, plus Scottie's probably outta here, one way or another. Who's out there that can stretch the floor offensively without being a defensive sieve?

We'd probably have to go International unless folks are big Alec Peters fans. Double up on our German content with Oregon's Isaiah Hartenstein?

We're loaded at SF, but if we're indeed shifting Baze to SG, or if we're replacing contract-year Thabo with a bench guy, I'd love to have ATL-local Jaron Blossomgame here. He withdrew from the draft pool last year and I just hope he can stay healthy.

~lw3

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A Millsap replacement in case he bolts.

Oh wow, Bird.  That's a rookie moov.  No way we go to the draft for a replacement for what Paul Montgomery Millsap provides us.  If that's not his middle name, it should be.  And I'll sign a petition to get it changed if I need to.

I think we'll be looking for a Scott replacement via the draft.  As we're seeing this season, Scott would be a good piece to have but we can manage without him.  Perfect role for a rookie.

We'll try to find a vet starting foh via free agency if Paul bolts.

@lethalweapon3 You are not alone. Domantas is Bud's dream. A guy that has basketball pedigree, a great feel for the game, and most of all a talent that comes with no trouble at all. I honestly would have loved him here as well. 

As for the player we would take from college, can't help too much at this point but will be more helpful in a couple months. But if we do decide to trade our pick again, which is very likely given that we had 2, well if you count Delaney as a rookie then 3 this year. I think it will definitely be a veteran.

A name that comes to mind is Danny Green. Shooter, veteran, and Bud knows him well. Another could be Taj Gibson. He seems like a Bud guy as well in that he works hard on the floor, boards well, and no off court trouble.

At this point, in Bud I trust!

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Oh wow, Bird.  That's a rookie moov.  No way we go to the draft for a replacement for what Paul Montgomery Millsap provides us.  If that's not his middle name, it should be.  And I'll sign a petition to get it changed if I need to.

I think we'll be looking for a Scott replacement via the draft.  As we're seeing this season, Scott would be a good piece to have but we can manage without him.  Perfect role for a rookie.

We'll try to find a vet starting foh via free agency if Paul bolts.

@kg01 We have a PG/SG/SF covered for the future, we need a PF for the future to groom and get in the development program.

This is what we have right now:

Under 25 25+ 30 and Over

Dennis (23) Kent (27) Millsap (31)
THJr (24) Scott(27) Dwight (30)
Prince (22) Moose (25) Splitter (31)
Bembry (22) Delaney (27) Kyle (35)
Prince (22) Kelly (25) Thabo (32)

Euro Stashes    
Isaia (PG/SG - 19)    
Ericksson (SF - 22)    

Do we have any other Euro stashes?  Any Power Forwards.

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@kg01 We have a PG/SG/SF covered for the future, we need a PF for the future to groom and get in the development program.

This is what we have right now:

Under 25 25+ 30 and Over

Dennis (23) Kent (27) Millsap (31)
THJr (24) Scott(27) Dwight (30)
Prince (22) Moose (25) Splitter (31)
Bembry (22) Delaney (27) Kyle (35)
Prince (22) Kelly (25) Thabo (32)

Euro Stashes    
Isaia (PG/SG - 19)    
Ericksson (SF - 22)    

Do we have any other Euro stashes?  Any Power Forwards.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant.  I just don't think we'll be looking for a starter, i.e. P. Montgomery Millsap replacement.

Next summer is going to be as interesting as this summer was, although it's a long way off.

Which of the expiring wings do you keep? One will have to go, and honestly two may need to go. I'd choose the go young route and keep the young player but I know others will think differently (and I may feel differently in a few months).

Do you resign Paul Millsap to the big max?

What do you do with Kent Bazemore?

There are a lot of interesting scenarios to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the Hawks have 4 draft picks?  Number 1 priority will be a front court player.  

I like the following. 

1. Lauri Markkanen  - PF/C

2. Johnathan Motley  - PF

3. TJ Leaf - PF

4 Josh Hart - SG would be a great second round pick.

These aren't the picks I believe the Hawks should make, but the 3 best front court players I believe the Hawks wil have the opportunity to draft. 

• 2 weeks later...

So with Sap probably opting out we have one center and zero power forwards under contract for next year. Dangerous living there and with the recent play I guess every pick has a chance of being a power player or dare I say a stretch four (Bud's favorite term). Going to be hanging around nbadraft.net a good bit more now to get a feel for whats out there and is possible.

• 1 month later...

I think we will draft a big with first round pick

Justin Pattin, Tj Leaf, Motley or Adebayo would be great picks

The 31 is a great pick, I would go with a SF there and on the oter 2nd rounders try to find a backup PG and a big.

Blossomgame, Josh Hart, Nigel Williams, Jawun Evans, Melo Trimble, Dwayne Bacon, Thomas Bryant, Caleb Swanigan, Alec Peters.... are good second round prospects, there are some role players on this years 2nd round, do not waste picks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not posted in a while. The NBA games bores me with all the great players lining up to play on the bsame teams. There is simply no competitive balance in the league any more. The regular season is simply  a bore. College ball is more entertaining with 50 teams able to beat anyone on a given night.

Any way............. I see no noticeable difference in the players slotted at going between 18 - 31.

TJ Leaf, Semi Ojeleye, Caleb Swanigan, Bam Adebayo, Johnathan Motley, and Nigel Hayes all look like NBA bigs to me. Hayes is a bit of a tweener.

I'm not going to bother mentioning the guys projected as lottery picks and I won't pretend to know anything about the international guys.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coachx said:

I have not posted in a while. The NBA games bores me with all the great players lining up to play on the bsame teams. There is simply no competitive balance in the league any more. The regular season is simply  a bore. College ball is more entertaining with 50 teams able to beat anyone on a given night.

Any way............. I see no noticeable difference in the players slotted at going between 18 - 31.

TJ Leaf, Semi Ojeleye, Caleb Swanigan, Bam Adebayo, Johnathan Motley, and Nigel Hayes all look like NBA bigs to me. Hayes is a bit of a tweener.

I'm not going to bother mentioning the guys projected as lottery picks and I won't pretend to know anything about the international guys.

Ah man, you can't talk about how the NBA game bores you and cbb is better then gloss over the players like that.  I need more detail from you since you've spent all your time watching them all.  Boooo this man.

Also, several of those guys are 'college bigs' i.e. NBA tweeners who don't shoot it well enough to translate.  Hayes, Swanigan, etc.  The Leafs and that Syracuse guy who's name escapes me, shoot it decently but are too weak to be difference makers.

Give me Rabb, Hartenstein and the like who may still be available when we pick.

44 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ah man, you can't talk about how the NBA game bores you and cbb is better then gloss over the players like that.  I need more detail from you since you've spent all your time watching them all.  Boooo this man.

Also, several of those guys are 'college bigs' i.e. NBA tweeners who don't shoot it well enough to translate.  Hayes, Swanigan, etc.  The Leafs and that Syracuse guy who's name escapes me, shoot it decently but are too weak to be difference makers.

Give me Rabb, Hartenstein and the like who may still be available when we pick.

I actually spend more time watching Mid-Major ball these days. I sit on the 2nd row of Georgia State basketball games right at half court. $1 concessions while basically sitting courtside is hard to beat.

Swanigan isn't a tweener in my eyes. He is 6'10'' in shoes with long arms and has solid natural strength. He is plenty big enough to play center and be a force on defense.

I agree that Leaf is weak right now but he is only 19 years old with only 1 year of college ball under his belt. He has not had time to really get into a college weight lifting program, much less an NBA strength program.  Its hard to project how strong he can be at 22, or much less 26 years of age. With his shooting stroke and team game IQ he intrigues me.

I didn't mention the Syracuse kid, London, b/c I'm not a fan of his game in the NBA. He has 3 years of college ball under his belt and was out played by Leaf ( a true freshman).

I don't watch enough PAC12 ball to comment on Raab. I see UCLA all the time b/c their games are always televised but Cal's are never on national TV. That is why I am more comfortable commenting on Leaf.

I think Johnathan Motley is more NBA ready than any of these guys. I love energy and tenacity on the court. He reminds me of a bigger version of Taurean Prince. I think he will move up into the 1st round but would love for him still be there at 31. I'd be fine taking him at 18. I think that he can improve his perimeter shooting and be a legit NBA PF.

I'm not ready to write off Hayes. He could develop a perimeter shot. Plenty of players have improved their perimeter shooting after college. Wisconsin was loaded with shooters. They didn't need him to focus on that part of his game. However, he will have to improve there to be successful NBA player.

4 minutes ago, coachx said:

I actually spend more time watching Mid-Major ball these days. I sit on the 2nd row of Georgia State basketball games right at half court. $1 concessions while basically sitting courtside is hard to beat.

Swanigan isn't a tweener in my eyes. He is 6'10'' in shoes with long arms and has solid natural strength. He is plenty big enough to play center and be a force on defense.

I agree that Leaf is weak right now but he is only 19 years old with only 1 year of college ball under his belt. He has not had time to really get into a college weight lifting program, much less an NBA strength program.  Its hard to project how strong he can be at 22, or much less 26 years of age. With his shooting stroke and team game IQ he intrigues me.

I didn't mention the Syracuse kid, London, b/c I'm not a fan of his game in the NBA. He has 3 years of college ball under his belt and was out played by Leaf ( a true freshman).

I don't watch enough PAC12 ball to comment on Raab. I see UCLA all the time b/c their games are always televised but Cal's are never on national TV. That is why I am more comfortable commenting on Leaf.

I think Johnathan Motley is more NBA ready than any of these guys. I love energy and tenacity on the court. He reminds me of a bigger version of Taurean Prince. I think he will move up into the 1st round but would love for him still be there at 31. I'd be fine taking him at 18. I think that he can improve his perimeter shooting and be a legit NBA PF.

I'm not ready to write off Hayes. He could develop a perimeter shot. Plenty of players have improved their perimeter shooting after college. Wisconsin was loaded with shooters. They didn't need him to focus on that part of his game. However, he will have to improve there to be successful NBA player.

GASt, huh?  You see they're talking Hunter as a possible option to Dayton, right?  That'd be a coup for him.

I totally disagree on Swanigan.  Too slow to guard 4's.  Won't be able to overpower NBA C's, thus is a tweener.  He's a poor man's Okafor IMHO.  Great story though so I feel bad for thinking he'll not fare that well.

We agree on the Leaf/Lydon argument.  Lydon reminds me of Muscala in a bad way.

Hayes is a 2nd rounder at best.  Most likely undrafted.  Bleh, he's old(ish), not polished offensively.  Like a worse version of Mike Scott.  If he can stay in college for 8 years, he should do it.