• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud

Trout7

Yeah but Pop didn't help the Hawks win the most games in their history here. Sixty wins was pretty unreal with that roster. Don't think we could just swap out coaches and still get what he did out of the team. He seems to be better at developing players than late game decisions no doubt but he's the best coach we have had and Fratello and Hubie would be the only other names even in the conversation.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Almost every coach has some flaws.  Bud has some but the good outweighs the bad.  This slump is the worst of his tenure and is putting him under pressure he hasn't seen before to right the ship, IMO.  I'm hopeful he does it sooner than later because this last stretch of games has been beyond ugly (granting that the Warriors game was one of the "better" losses).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What the hell are you talking about?   What possible basis do you have to say he isn't intelligent and appears drunk?  And why would you make a whole thread to cast these aspersions.   Check his record, check what this franchise has done since he's been here.  Check what everyone who's played for him and worked with him have said about him.  Check the number of championship rings on his fingers.   I mean geez.   You think he took a team with no star players to 60 wins and the ECF through luck?

You got it all wrong, macd.  Budz is clearly asleep at the wheel.

@NBASupes for President.  @Diesel should be his running mate.

1 hour ago, Trout7 said:

I honestly don't think Coach Bud is a great basketball mind , or extremely intelligent for that matter. He is a decent average coach. He even appears drunk or lethargic sometimes this season.

I agree he does seems intoxicated a lot and he's beggining to lose this teams respect. I can see it in Milsaps and Schroeders facial expressions and body language. The starting lineup is one of the issues. Signing Baze for 17 mill was kind of ridiculous when you had Tim Hardaway Jr.(who should be starting by the way). Schröder-Hardaway Jr.-Thabo-Milsap-Howard. Bring Baze-Korver-Muscala-Delaney-Prince then Humpries off the bench. I can't wait for Scott to get back, they need that mid-range game and Bud needs to relax. Smoke the Bud and lay off the alcohol and we will be ok. #Hawksnation#

1 hour ago, Youngblood75 said:

I agree he does seems intoxicated a lot and he's beggining to lose this teams respect. I can see it in Milsaps and Schroeders facial expressions and body language. The starting lineup is one of the issues. Signing Baze for 17 mill was kind of ridiculous when you had Tim Hardaway Jr.(who should be starting by the way). Schröder-Hardaway Jr.-Thabo-Milsap-Howard. Bring Baze-Korver-Muscala-Delaney-Prince then Humpries off the bench. I can't wait for Scott to get back, they need that mid-range game and Bud needs to relax. Smoke the Bud and lay off the alcohol and we will be ok. #Hawksnation#

Proof?

Two new starters, running different offensive sets based on personnel, 18 games in of 82.  He has his flaws but good grief people.

The Hawks were one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA each of the past two seasons, and had the lowest offensive rebounding rate in the league both seasons, as the focus was instead on preventing any transition offensive opportunities for the opposition.

Adding Howard to the mix has changed that. While the only other significant change to the roster was replacing Jeff Teague with longtime understudy Dennis Schröder at the point, the Hawks this season are inside the top 10 in rebounding rate, and flirting with the top 10 in offensive rebounding percentage.

The reason for the change is simple: with the introduction of Howard – who turns 31 next week, but remains one of the premier rebounders in the NBA – Hawks Coach Mike Budenholzer has embraced his new weapon, and has adjusted his scheme accordingly.

“I think that what he brings, and his unique presence and physicality, can allow us to emphasize the offensive boards, but never at the expense of not being good in transition defense,” Budenholzer said. “I keep saying that we’re trying to do a lot of things the same. I think some of the motion in the offense that we’ve run has been predicated on trying to play inside-out, so hopefully we’ll do it more [now]. Hopefully we can emphasize different things and emphasize different options.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/29/dwight-howards-homecoming-to-hawks-has-made-him-dominant-once-more/

12 hours ago, Trout7 said:

Popovich got those rings for him.

You think Popovich did all the work to get those rings, it took team effort players to coaching staff. Bud was a big part reason why Spurs were really successful during their championship runs. Pop even said Bud was his right hand man, and he kept it a secret. Also, when Bud was still with the Spurs, he knows the Spurs system than anyone else in the team.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 3

Some interesting comments from Glen Rivers on how/why his LAC team has slipped as of late.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/what-happened-to-the-once-dominant-clippers-155418664.html

“When you see straight line drives without picks, back cuts without any action, you’re not sitting down on defense,” Rivers said. “I thought we lost our discipline. We were walking around like we’ve done something. We haven’t done crap. For us to walk around against a team that to me is playing their hearts out every night to win one game, for us to walk around like we have done something, it bothers me.”

OK. So is there something specifically the Clippers need to shore up?

“The thing about our defense is it’s all connected,” Crawford said. “It’s never just one thing. If the pick-and-rolls need to get better then the weak side needs to get better then the rotations need to get better.

Some of the comments seem to be applicable to our recent play.  It can be argued that some guys are playing as if they're done something.  Dennis flying around playing hero-ball.  Millsap continuously playing as if he's gonna get the star-whistle, then seemingly checking out when he doesn't.  TradeBaze awful dribbling displays and his completely off-balance "layups".

They collectively are getting out-hustled every night which is why lesser teams can routinely stay with/pass them.

The disconnected defense quotes are completely applicable to the Hawks'.

All that said, I hope Budz is taking a page out of Rivers' book and expressing these thoughts to the team behind closed doors.  Perhaps he needs to step out of himself and throw some criticism out publicly?  Maybe they'll respond more to that?

I dunno, the consistent narrative we get from Budz is, "We know what's wrong and we'll fix it.  Just gotta eggsecute."  Mmkay, well it's been like 6 losses in a row dude.

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Some interesting comments from Glen Rivers on how/why his LAC team has slipped as of late.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/what-happened-to-the-once-dominant-clippers-155418664.html

Some of the comments seem to be applicable to our recent play.  It can be argued that some guys are playing as if they're done something.  Dennis flying around playing hero-ball.  Millsap continuously playing as if he's gonna get the star-whistle, then seemingly checking out when he doesn't.  TradeBaze awful dribbling displays and his completely off-balance "layups".

They collectively are getting out-hustled every night which is why lesser teams can routinely stay with/pass them.

The disconnected defense quotes are completely applicable to the Hawks'.

All that said, I hope Budz is taking a page out of Rivers' book and expressing these thoughts to the team behind closed doors.  Perhaps he needs to step out of himself and throw some criticism out publicly?  Maybe they'll respond more to that?

I dunno, the consistent narrative we get from Budz is, "We know what's wrong and we'll fix it.  Just gotta eggsecute."  Mmkay, well it's been like 6 losses in a row dude.

Did you read Baze's comment about 'slacking' on perimeter defense because they have Dwight as backup? (paraphrasing).

Be responsible for your own guy first, backup help second.