• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THE TRADE DEADLINE - February 23rd at 3:00PM

• Moderators
Just now, macdaddy said:

You're overlooking Dennis.  Not that I want to trade him but are they going to find a better PG in the draft?   doubtful.  I'd start with Dennis/Baze/Prince and a 1st but up the offer to Dennis/Tim/Prince and a 1st.   

Like i said, i think Dennis is great and only going to get better, but a butler/sap/howard is really solid for the next 3 years.   We can find a PG to go with that.   

Dennis isn't a lottery guy as he was picked #17 overall but I agree he is desirable.  Just having a hard time thinking about how shallow that team would be after dealing Dennis, THJr, Prince and our first.

So while we don't have the lottery assets, I do agree that Dennis is our best trade asset and him packaged with others would be a compelling trade offer for Chicago.  I can easily see Chicago doing that deal (perhaps with Splitter and Rondo thrown in or something along those lines).

On 2/14/2017 at 5:55 AM, Spud2Nique said:

Yup...I think we had scouted Portzingis as well...one of the few teams along with San Antonio and one other squad I can't remember. I saw a few drafts early on and had us taking him at #15 overall. I remember it cuz I thought to myself that this Latvian dude is too skinny and might be a project for years to come. Made me initially think of Andris Biedrins due to the same country but they also had similar physiques but totally different games as Biedrins couldn't shoot a lick from outside or the line. In any event I was actually upset that the mock had us taking him. Lol. Little did I know...

Same here.  I think I actually made a joke about the Hawks taking him.  

17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Same here.  I think I actually made a joke about the Hawks taking him.  

The funny thing about Porzingo the Dingo is NYK fans who support Phil always use Porzingo as an example of something he got right.  However, by all accounts, he never actually saw Porzingo play in person before drafting him.

IOW, he just got lucky based on draft position.  Had they had the #2 pick, he would've drafted JOkafor or Russell so the idea that he 'hit' on Porzingo is plain revisionist IMHO.

The Detroit Pistons have been quietly exploring trade scenarios involving Andre Drummond and Reggie Jackson.

Despite both being young, talented and under team control for several seasons, the Pistons were disappointed with the potential return.

Drummond is unlikely to be dealt at the deadline.

Jackson could still be traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves, Orlando Magic, New Orleans Pelicans, or some mystery destination.

Any interest?

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Any interest?

I saw this and had no interest. Drummond is super talented and puts up crazy numbers but for some reason I don't want him. Lol. No to Jackson for me as well.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Any interest?

In RegMe Jackson?

nope

In Drummond?

Lemme think about it ....

reaction animated GIF

Dude's game hasn't changed/grown since year 1.  Now that he's paid, he'll just be fine with showing up every 3-4 games or so just like he's been with DET.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:55 AM, Spud2Nique said:

Yup...I think we had scouted Portzingis as well...one of the few teams along with San Antonio and one other squad I can't remember. I saw a few drafts early on and had us taking him at #15 overall. I remember it cuz I thought to myself that this Latvian dude is too skinny and might be a project for years to come. Made me initially think of Andris Biedrins due to the same country but they also had similar physiques but totally different games as Biedrins couldn't shoot a lick from outside or the line. In any event I was actually upset that the mock had us taking him. Lol. Little did I know...

There were reports that we actually gave Porzingis a promise to draft him at #15. Of course he held out and waited another year. Same promise we gave to Antetokounmpo the year prior. Our luck.

• Like 1

Just now, Bankingitbig said:

There were reports that we actually gave Porzingis a promise to draft him at #15. Of course he held out and waited another year. Same promise we gave to Antetokounmpo the year prior. Our luck.

Yup. Only thing I guess was Portzingis pulled himself out of the draft while Drew ratted us out on Giannis!

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trade with Charlotte, they are right at the cap for next season and hoing nowhere this season.

Splitter and Cleveland 2019 1st for Marco Belinelli and Frank Kaminsky.

Reliable wing shooter and Moose stays on the bench.

Mmmmmm....I wonder if Marvin is available. 

Marvin and Frank for Splits and Molly.

I woulda slapped myself 4 years ago for wanting Marv back but yes I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I just want to understand what Wilcox means when he says we had "flexibility moving forward"? He's dangled that bs in front of us for too long. Can we use that to get in on an all star type guy? 

On the Jimmy Buckets front, I'd go all in but like others said...they are going to want real lotto picks I think. But Butler, Sap and Dwight is fun to imagine.

Can we use this flexibility on Bledsoe?

13 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I just want to understand what Wilcox means when he says we had "flexibility moving forward"? He's dangled that bs in front of us for too long. Can we use that to get in on an all star type guy? 

On the Jimmy Buckets front, I'd go all in but like others said...they are going to want real lotto picks I think. But Butler, Sap and Dwight is fun to imagine.

Can we use this flexibility on Bledsoe?

Phoenix is under the cap so they can take back salary.   What good is flexibility unless you use it.

I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't make a move for upgrades to this horrible bench since we apparently aren't trading Millsap.  Going into the playoffs 'as-is' would signal to me it's about 'keeping the playoff streak alive.' 

Stuff like this, has me saying , ok lets do this...

Budenholzer said Monday that the Hawks could still make moves at the trade deadline if there is a way to improve the team.

but then he adds....

He also said he would be comfortable with the team as it currently is constructed.

makes me say

raw

Comfortable to do what?

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Phoenix is under the cap so they can take back salary.   What good is flexibility unless you use it.

I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't make a move for upgrades to this horrible bench since we apparently aren't trading Millsap.  Going into the playoffs 'as-is' would signal to me it's about 'keeping the playoff streak alive.' 

Stuff like this, has me saying , ok lets do this...

but then he adds....

makes me say

raw

Comfortable to do what?

Yup. Almost wish Bud had a tad bit less loyalty to guys. I think he honestly cries about ever guy he trades.

2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Yup. Almost wish Bud had a tad bit less loyalty to guys. I think he honestly cries about ever guy he trades.

I would really like to know who called off the trade........per this little snippet....

Ownership

This is a difficult reason to evaluate — and bleeds over into speculation quickly — but the ownership vetoing a Millsap trade would explain why the Hawks seemingly changed direction so quickly in early January. There are many reasons why ownership would be against trading the team’s best player, but if this indeed the case then the above reasons are probably at least partly to blame as well. The Hawks are famously tight-lipped about issues like this one though, so this reason is difficult to fully evaluat

17 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Budz being coach leads to this attachment IMHO.  He personally sees how hard they work so it's hard to separate the emotion when it's time to move on.  Unfortunately it seems that could be leading him to see things glass-half-full which isn't reality.

@JayBirdHawk I don't believe that report that ownership vetoed the trade.

• Premium Member

Here's the thing that I think even Bud would agree with (... based on my conversations with him, of course *wink*)...

We can't go into the playoffs without a legitimate back-up to Dwight. We just can't. It's just too much. Moreover, he's got to start getting fewer minutes in March and April in the first place.

So, whether it's a replacement for Splitter or if for some reason there becomes an incredible belief that the Big Banana is suddenly ready to take the court and make all of his detractors eat the desk calendars on which they've been marking off his insurance payments... something HAS to happen on that front. Again, trust me ( :D ), Bud gets that.

He also gets that he's got similar situation at PG, though not as acute at this stage simply because the two incumbents are young and really can use all this floor time they've been getting anyways. Same thing, though... there's got to be some moderation as the regular season winds down so that they're both charged and ready to put their best performances of the year forward in April and May, and dare I say June. (Don't laugh, unless you can tell me you saw January 2015 coming from a mile away.)

On both fronts, you can get away with very average players because you're not actually going to be asking them to log a whole lot of minutes anyway. 

But I think at one of those spots, and two if it becomes an option, Bud looks to go get a player with some potential to be more than that,... a scoring PG/SG type (thus shaving some minutes off Ruder and Delaney's docket primarily, though depending on who it is, maybe pushing THjr to some SF minutes)... and/or... a post guy who has a credible 3-shot in his arsenal (likely shaving minutes both Dwight's and Moose's expected load).

Trading partner candidates begin with whoever's still in line to deal with NYK for Melo... with us being a 3rd team in the deal if what NYK isn't willing to take is a fit, after all, to one of the roles above. (Jamal interrupts... "You mean, me?"... I suppose it's plausible, Jamal. )

After that, if that's a no-go, then you look at the next line forming, which is the sellers' line... but more precisely, those in the sellers' line who are reported to be looking to reduce salary. There's several of those, some of whom have already begun that process.

We have so many holes....

Backup PG that can provide scoring 

Starting SF that can score

Backup SF

Backup C....

Schröder is starting caliber PG

Timmy and Baze are below average starting SG

Milsap and Howard are starting PF and C, Hump is a decent Backup PF.

Other than that I do not see the other pieces fit great on this team... Thabo I agree that has been playing well but I do not like him as a player lacks size and strength to defend most SF and at SG I prefer Timmy and Baze.

Of course Bembry and Prince are developing, I wished Prince could demand good minutes at SF but is not the reality now. Bembry is showing some promise and could make Timmy ir Baze expendable, mostly Baze.

Someone said we have reached the peak, I don't agree, we lack so many players at some positions that force us to play players out of position and make us underperform. There are some cheap solutions out there that could be signed and never come to this team, players as Ed Davis, Harkless, M Barnes would have been cheap to have and fill holes here, instead of that we will sign other SG, size and strength are major lacks here....

Edited by gurpilo

• Premium Member

We have several roster issues for a team that still has the longest playoff streak in the East. Zero back up PG and Center. A gaping chasm at SF. No real backup at PF since Bud won't play Hump.

Our team is literally Dennis, Paul, Dwight and THJR's good games. Toss in the odd Thabo scoring game and that's it. I mean...THAT IS IT. We can't win like this in the playoffs. We need a starting SF. We need a decent backup to PG, C and PF. That's too much for one trade deadline to fix.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Lou Williams would solve a lot of problems for us.   I know he's not a good defender but he would give us another ball handler and an actual scorer.   

We're going to have to search the bargain bins to find a backup center.  Tyson Chandler would be great but hard to get and he's signed for 2 more years so don't see that happening.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Lou Williams would solve a lot of problems for us.   I know he's not a good defender but he would give us another ball handler and an actual scorer.   

We're going to have to search the bargain bins to find a backup center.  Tyson Chandler would be great but hard to get and he's signed for 2 more years so don't see that happening.   

If LAL doesn't tie Lou to sending Deng out, or alternatively demand a 1st rounder, I'll be surprised. But if none of the above applies, I'm with you... he fits the job description, imo.