• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jennings a potential solution at backup PG?

Bankingitbig

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why not?   Of course this would only add to our growing collection of guys who can't shoot.

But we absolutely have to get an upgrade over Delaney or this team is a 1st Round exit. Jennings can at least gives us competent PG play while Dennis is out. I've given up on Delaney.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

But we absolutely have to get an upgrade over Delaney or this team is a 1st Round exit. Jennings can at least gives us competent PG play while Dennis is out. I've given up on Delaney.

I actually kind of like Jennings but I really do feel that if we sign a point or combo guard they need to be able to shoot the 3 well.  There again I'm not convinced this team can pull it together anyway.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I was totally against this but reading your post kinda changed my mind.  Jennings is basically a rich man's DelaneySucks.  Agree with @macdaddy (when's the last time I said that?) in that Jennings isn't a great 3pt shooter.  However, shiiii DelaneySucks isn't a great 3pt shooter either?!  At least we know Jennings is an NBA-level player.

Only downside is Jennings has been a little too mouthy for a guy who's not that good.

Actually, f all that, we need some guys who aren't just content to be paid.

It is doubtful that he would even choose the Hawks after clearing waivers. Houston, Utah and Washington are all looking for PGs still and they would be more desirable for a player looking to play on a deep playoff team.

That said, I can't see HOU wanting him now that they have LouWill. They were after Calderon earlier who fits more of the traditional PG role and can hit the three ball. UTA has like 4 PGs on their roster, but the team was still reportedly after Deron Williams and they are under the salary floor still.

Edited by Bankingitbig

I can see WAS going all out to get him.  They need bench-bods badly.  I guess we don't have a spot since PittPatt and R. Kelly have to be here ... for some reason?

SIGN THIS GUY UP!  WHY THE H*LL NOT AT THIS POINT!  WHAT, YOU THINK HE'LL HELP US LOSE BY 40 INSTEAD OF 35??!??!??!?

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I can see WAS going all out to get him.  They need bench-bods badly.  I guess we don't have a spot since PittPatt and R. Kelly have to be here ... for some reason?

SIGN THIS GUY UP!  WHY THE H*LL NOT AT THIS POINT!  WHAT, YOU THINK HE'LL HELP US LOSE BY 40 INSTEAD OF 35??!??!??!?

PittPatt was waived last night. He supposedly requested to be waived to handle a personal matter. So we have an open roster spot and still need a capable backup PG.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

PittPatt was waived last night. He supposedly requested to be waived to handle a personal matter. So we have an open roster spot and still need a capable backup PG.

Ah, ok.  Watch we take @sturt's dumb recommendation and reach for something called Bryce Cotton from the aussie league instead just 'cause Budz knows him.

Apparently Jennings requested to be waived so he could join a playoff team.  lol @ NYK since they're actually still pushing for the playoffs supposedly.

• Premium Member

Jennings, to me, and in terms of attitude specifically, to me, is what Melo would be if he cared... if he really really cared about contending for a championship.

I actually advocated for him last off-season (or at least I'm pretty sure I did... if I didn't say it here, I know I thought it, because it felt weird to be taking that position).

If we get Cotton, though, @kg01, it will be because Bud is just seeking a practice body, indeed, and it would serve as evidence that I was wrong to assume Patterson had just been picked-up as a stop-gap until the buyout options became available.

Honestly? I thought Cotton performed pretty darn well last summer league, as well as the kid from Gonzaga, Pangos, so I was not all that disappointed by the report that before they signed Neal, they offered Cotton a chance. I'd prefer Pangos, but it appears he's locked into a contract in Turkey and with no opt-out as best I can tell. But as well as he shot from the arc then, he's not the 40% 3-shooter I'd somehow concluded him to be, so upon that discovery, yes, I'm less interested than before.

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Jennings, to me, and in terms of attitude specifically, to me, is what Melo would be if he cared... if he really really cared about contending for a championship.

I actually advocated for him last off-season (or at least I'm pretty sure I did... if I didn't say it here, I know I thought it, because it felt weird to be taking that position).

If we get Cotton, though, @kg01, it will be because Bud is just seeking a practice body, indeed, and it would serve as evidence that I was wrong to assume Patterson had just been picked-up as a stop-gap until the buyout options became available.

Honestly? I thought Cotton performed pretty darn well last summer league, as well as the kid from Gonzaga, Pangos, so I was not all that disappointed by the report that before they signed Neal, they offered Cotton a chance. I'd prefer Pangos, but it appears he's locked into a contract in Turkey and with no opt-out as best I can tell. But as well as he shot from the arc then, he's not the 40% 3-shooter I'd somehow concluded him to be, so upon that discovery, yes, I'm less interested than before.

Twiddlin' around with guys like Cotton is why we are what we is.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Why not?   Of course this would only add to our growing collection of guys who can't shoot.

He is shooting 34% on more attempts than Dennis who is also shooting 34%. He would be the 4th best shooter on our team (Dunleavy, Moose, Timmy Jr.)

Delaney is shooting 25% from 3 and is one of the worse shooters in the NBA. Not a close comparison.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, GameTime said:

He is shooting 34% on more attempts than Dennis who is also shooting 34%. He would be the 4th best shooter on our team (Dunleavy, Moose, Timmy Jr.)

Delaney is shooting 25% from 3 and is one of the worse shooters in the NBA. Not a close comparison.

That's even more depressing.  

• Premium Member

Let's take a step back, and see the lesson of history, and thus, reality.

LBJ: Drafted #1 by his hometown team... then joined Bosh in the first explicit free agent conspiracy to manipulate the system to win a championship... then, having accomplished that, decided to leave MIA and went back to his hometown team w/o any consideration of any other teams in free agency

Curry: Drafted #8

Durant: Drafted #2... then joined Curry in what many regard to be the second explicit conspiracy to manipulate the system to win a championship

Westbrook: Drafted #4

Then... within recent decades

Jordan: Drafted #3

Magic: Drafted #1

Bird: Drafted #6

So, of the seven, two were #1s.... begging the question, why aren't every one of these guys #1 picks? Were the scouts stupid? Were the GMs stupid? Were the teams' fans who drafted #1 in those years all begging for their teams to draft these players instead, and so, truly it's us fans who ought to be better appreciated?

None of that.

So what's a GM to do when this is such an inexact science?

Well, I don't know about you, but I think I develop a strategy that tries to make is so that if the day ever comes when my team is fortunate enough to draft a generational talent, I've already begun to develop okay players into good players and good players into really good players, so that I can most readily surround that player with what would be needed to raise a championship banner.

That doesn't mean that every player move is about acquiring someone who will one day be a starter. Sometimes its about acquiring a John Battle or a Scott Hastings or a Cliff Levingston or a Spud Webb who fills a role... someone not that many people thought was capable of filling a role.

I know we're all in despair about how this season seems to be swirling down the flusher right now, but "trust the process" is not a lie.

• Like 1

No excuses for Bud to not get a backup PG here. If the Wizards get Jennings they will release Trey Burke who is an upgrade over Delanaey. If he is truly win now he has to make a move. If he isn't, he needs to find out what his goals for this team are. Are we competing or tanking Bud?

• Like 4

• Admin
6 minutes ago, GameTime said:

No excuses for Bud to not get a backup PG here. If the Wizards get Jennings they will release Trey Burke who is an upgrade over Delanaey. If he is truly win now he has to make a move. If he isn't, he needs to find out what his goals for this team are. Are we competing or tanking Bud?

I don't know if Burke is ... he is absolutely terrible and shouldn't be in the league either.  He doesn't do anything well at all.  Bringing him in this late in the season to suck on our team would be a waste of time.