Jennings a potential solution at backup PG?

Bankingitbig

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Oops. Good to have those fact checkers out there. :)

Lol...didn't check. I have a photographic memory. You tell me which  top 100 player in the NBA and I'll tell you what pick. :-) it's like a gift..

24 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

If u think I am advocating Delaney then u still miss what I have been saying.  It's more about replacing garbage with garbage.  Burke sucks and bringing him in won't help.  I agree we need a better backup but it needs to be someone better then him.

Yep, garbage by any other name is still.....garbage!!

• Premium Member

Call me crazy, but I can't help but be intrigued, if Jennings sign with the Wiz, about Trey Burke (who some presume would be released).

Working theory is that he was just one of those kids who had too much thrust on him at 20 years old, and that his drawbacks are much less physical than have been advertised, and much more psychological. He had the tools coming out of Michigan, there's absolutely no doubt about that.

So, I'm curious whether being on a roster with one of his former Wolverine running mates who, himself, has been through that same sort of crucible, might be an extremely valuable thing, both for his career, and for the Hawks. He's, at minimum, capable of doing what Shelvin did for us offensively, but I think he'd provide more just b/c he's a significantly better shooter from deep. That said, his defense is just average even on his best days. At 24, tho, I think he's still got time to develop there, and we could do a lot worse for a 3rd PG.

Would I rather have Jennings? Yes, mainly because Jennings' experience. Nothing would overwhelm him, and I believe he's still capable of taking over games with his scoring, and when he wants to be, is an exceptional assist guy. I think our younger guards would benefit from a more veteran player in the mix with them.

But that said, I won't be very upset if Burke ends up on our roster as a consequence. In the short term, he would immediately become the 2nd best 3p shooter on the team. In the longer term, if we could get him on a deal with a non-guaranteed 2017-18 like we just did Patterson and Kelly, that would seal the deal for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Yes to Scola all day!

Scola shot forty percent from three last year in seventy six games averaging twenty ones minutes a game. This year Kelly has a good three point percentage more because he doesn't play than because he does. Last year in thirty six games Kelly barely shot over one hundred percent from three which is supposed to be his strong suit. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1781/luis-scola

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2488651/ryan-kelly

So with the Jenning's news I guess Burke will indeed be an option soon. With all his problems he does have that thing we lack for the most part this year right now, over forty percent from three. We all know our staff can coach up the shit out of many a vet. That part is covered. Not bringing in the in game coaching woes, lots of other threads for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

Really?! No one is going to comment on this? Nothing? 

Damn, Squawk, I thought you were better than this.

I will be issuing a formal, written apology.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

No more nibbblin.  Burke wasn't good enough for 2 teams that desperately needed him to be.  Let him go euro like he needs to

It's the 3rd damn PG s'helpme... with just 25 games or so left... you take what you can get, because (cue Mick)... you can't always get what you want. :)

• Premium Member

So, Jennings appears DC bound.

I'm anticipating a big letdown, though, and that they'll cut someone else... or that some other team with a little more money will swoop in and remove Burke from consideration.

Calderon SUCKS!  I can't believe y'all would want that clown.  I mean, have you SEEN him play?  Geez, guys.  Do better.

Although .....

I'd take him all day over DelaneySucks.

Wait for it

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Thomas said:

Scola shot forty percent from three last year in seventy six games averaging twenty ones minutes a game. This year Kelly has a good three point percentage more because he doesn't play than because he does. Last year in thirty six games Kelly barely shot over one hundred percent from three which is supposed to be his strong suit. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1781/luis-scola

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2488651/ryan-kelly

Shooting 100% from 3 sounds pretty good.   Shooting just over 100% is friggin amazing.   Start the man!