• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Budenholzer is TRASH!!!

willthepureshooter

Dwight had that nice pass to Hardaway Jr in the third but there was nothing else nice that I could've said about his game. You have to look closer when it's him, and you see it...

When Gortat is beating him fundamentally on the boards because Howard doesn't box out, so he's simply just tapping back on him with ease, and Gortat gets calls against him when Howard is trying to get an offensive board.
When he's throwing a lazy pass to his PG that results in a fastbreak dunk.
When he doesn't even bend over to try to hustle for a loose ball which results in 2 points for the opposition.

That doesn't even go into PNR defense. Laying back on Wall is fine, but there is a difference between giving up the jumper and it being pretty much a free throw and he's been getting the latter a lot. Laying back on Beal is NOT and the Hawks are lucky he hasn't totally exploded yet, as NOTHING has been taken away from him. While Hardaway Jr is clearly fighting, he is even worse on the defensive end than Dennis (just doesn't have the tools there, lateral speed isn't good and doesn't have the length), he needs his big man to help step out on PNR!

It's been bad enough that even a D'Antoni guy might not even care about the mid range being taken if he was coaching. I mean if it's FREE THROW caliber, why not? NBA players have to hit them.

There's no dancing around it. Folks didn't think it'd be this way but he's losing his matchup against Gortat in an absolute massacre in more ways than what you can casually look at and see on the box score. I was being nice by saying he'd beat Gortat in the stats but the matchup would be closer than you think due to other things, he's not even beating Gortat in the stats.

7 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Koonin flat out said on an interview on 929 a few months back that the was the plan. D8=C, Whore=PF, Sap=SF.

Guessing that if we were to keep Sap into the future our bill for the front court would easily exceed eighty million starting next season with those three. With Dennis and Baze thats landing between 110 and 115 million, not even counting Tim in there or anyone else. Jeez, would be incredibly hard to fill that roster out with any quality. 

56 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Guessing that if we were to keep Sap into the future our bill for the front court would easily exceed eighty million starting next season with those three. With Dennis and Baze thats landing between 110 and 115 million, not even counting Tim in there or anyone else. Jeez, would be incredibly hard to fill that roster out with any quality. 

I can't imagine Baze would have been re-signed. He would be playing alongside Harden in Houston.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Al was still in the mix (or so we thought) after Baze and the Hawks came to an agreement for seventy million total.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/07/01/al-horford-kent-bazemore-hawks-nba-free-agency/86628482/

Agreed.   Al bailing did not push us into that mistake.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Koonin flat out said on an interview on 929 a few months back that the was the plan. D8=C, Whore=PF, Sap=SF. No hesitation. No stuttering or anything resembling spin. Flat out said that was the plan. If I was techie I would go dig it up, but he said it. Straight from the horse's mouth. until I see or hear anything different that is better evidence, I gotta take the man at his word.

Then Karl Mal.... Er, Alice screwed that plan up and now both the Hawks and the C's are floundering. Thanks, dickhead.

and to be honest, I would have liked to see that. Maybe it would've worked, maybe not. But I would love to see it just to know.

especially since it also would mean that Baze would be playing in Houston right now. It's fun to dream sometimes.....

@LamarHampton I will confirm with you that I did hear Koonin say that was the plan A: Dwight, Al and Paul.  

Something went terribly wrong somewhere - didn't the salary cap guy get relieved of his duties after this?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@LamarHampton I will confirm with you that I did hear Koonin say that was the plan A: Dwight, Al and Paul.  

Something went terribly wrong somewhere - didn't the salary cap guy get relieved of his duties after this?

I heard him say that as well but it lost him credibility points with me after Paul made it 100% clear that he believed the Hawks tried to trade him.  I get the PR spin, but if he couldn't make enough of an argument that he never shopped Paul to get Paul to avoid being publicly disgruntled then I can't buy into that narrative.

I wanted the three of them for the frontcourt (without Paul playing a lot of SF) but I don't think the Hawks were planning on keeping Millsap.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Salary cap guy is mostly Rick Sund as far as I understand. Michael Blackstone was the Assistant GM that joined in August 2015, but "left" right after free agency ended in 2016 (late July 2016). His background was in sports negotiation (formerly from Shapiro Negotiations Institute) and was supposed to be lead in terms of contract/trade negotiations (from what I understand and believe our favorite hawksfanatic mentioned).

I got heavily criticized by @MaceCase and others for saying that the Hawks front office botched it this past offseason in how they handled the Horford free agency. I didn't realize this about Blackstone at the time, but think he could have played a significant part in what went "terribly wrong" and why he is no longer with the team.

Edited by Bankingitbig

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Honestly, this thread hurts my feelings.  'Cause my anti-Baze thread was nuked but this one thrives on.  Sigh, I get it @AHF but still ... :cry:

BUD fans don't matta to me-AHF...

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Honestly, this thread hurts my feelings.  'Cause my anti-Baze thread was nuked but this one thrives on.  Sigh, I get it @AHF but still ... :cry:

Feel free to start an anti-Baze thread and have John Stewart shoot the bird to him.  I locked that one because the bird went to the fans who support Baze.  This thread nukes Bud but isn't focused on calling out the posters who like him.  An incidental amount of bagging on the posters happens sometimes but I'll lock the threads that start out with that as the focus.  Even when I find them amusing.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hey I was the only one who had liked @kg01's original post before Jay came straggling in.  I laughed and then locked the thread as it invited Baze fans in and then targeted them directly.  You won't find me disagreeing with kg's take on Baze.

• Like 2