• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ressler is fooling himself

NBASupes

I understand why he wanted to talk to AJC after Baze and Dwight had a great game because he knew his ass would really have to admit he F'd up with signing Coward and resigning Bazeless. I spent the entire year last year with stats saying do not sign Baze, he's anti success for this squad but you let Bud talk about the nuisance of the game which don't even matter once Al left since he got no one that he can protect his sorry ass anymore. 

I also mentioned last year not to sign Dwight Howard since he was washed in Houston and athletically, he regressed to an extreme degree. This is where we are right now. Shameful. 

He's going to do something stupid like offer Indy a lot for a rental like Paul George when it's not going to work. Dwight is washed. Paul is getting old and Indy would want Prince who's not worth trading. This team needs to scrap this thing they got and rebuild. 

Edited by NBASupes

I have to agree, time to hit the reset button. I strongly feel Bud is not the best guy to make personnel decisions. He gets too attached to certain players and that clouds his vision on what is best for the team. E.g., Milsap should have been traded last summer once Al left to kickstart the rebuild.

Where the team is currently, isn't a very good place. We have two players who have any trade value (Dennis and Prince) and a bunch of role players, a washed-up Dwight, and a 32 year FA who will command a contract that will paralyze the team in year 3-5.

On the plus side, we do have a few extra picks, but they are of low to maybe mid level value.

Not a great summer to be a Hawks fan, but I still pull for the team. However, Bud and Co need to pull a Braves and build it from the ground up with the right guys that exactly fit what Bud wants to do.

I don't know if any of you hear Koonen on 92.9 yesterday, but one of the things he said really struck me. He praised the Falcons for aggressively going after the guy they want and paying the price to get him (Tak). He then said the Hawks need to take that mindset. That really struck me that Bud and Co are too passive and let things come to them instead of going out and forcing the acquisitions they  actually need to be successful. I hope, Ressler looks at the Falcons and Braves and realizes you have to have a guy that has vision, guts, and freedom to be aggressive to get what is needed for success.

• Like 2

I don't like comparing to the Falcons because they landed the player their building around in Matt Ryan with a top 3 pick.

Atlanta has to get a top 3 pick and get that player. If that player is Bamba, Porter Jr or Ayton, good. If it's Zion Williamson or Bagley, good but it is not what we have now.

We only have six guys under contract and even though three are overpaid for what they offer, this offseason already feels like a rebuild of some measure before any moves are even made. One of those contracts is absolutely gone after one season if not sooner and another will be gone after two years. We may never be rid of Baze though, its a Bud thing. 

6 hours ago, frosgrim said:

I have to agree, time to hit the reset button. I strongly feel Bud is not the best guy to make personnel decisions. He gets too attached to certain players and that clouds his vision on what is best for the team. E.g., Milsap should have been traded last summer once Al left to kickstart the rebuild.

Where the team is currently, isn't a very good place. We have two players who have any trade value (Dennis and Prince) and a bunch of role players, a washed-up Dwight, and a 32 year FA who will command a contract that will paralyze the team in year 3-5.

On the plus side, we do have a few extra picks, but they are of low to maybe mid level value.

Not a great summer to be a Hawks fan, but I still pull for the team. However, Bud and Co need to pull a Braves and build it from the ground up with the right guys that exactly fit what Bud wants to do.

I don't know if any of you hear Koonen on 92.9 yesterday, but one of the things he said really struck me. He praised the Falcons for aggressively going after the guy they want and paying the price to get him (Tak). He then said the Hawks need to take that mindset. That really struck me that Bud and Co are too passive and let things come to them instead of going out and forcing the acquisitions they  actually need to be successful. I hope, Ressler looks at the Falcons and Braves and realizes you have to have a guy that has vision, guts, and freedom to be aggressive to get what is needed for success.

I wouldn't look to the Braves, they won't pay to get any decent pitching. They just hope to recycle washed ups.

• Like 1

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Trout7 said:

I wouldn't look to the Braves, they won't pay to get any decent pitching. They just hope to recycle washed ups.

They have invested a ton of draft assets into pitching.  Clearly they plan to organically bolster their staff from their draft and trade assets currently in the minors.  Worked for them once.  Remains to be seen if it will work again.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I understand why he wanted to talk to AJC after Baze and Dwight had a great game because he knew his ass would really have to admit he F'd up with signing Coward and resigning Bazeless. I spent the entire year last year with stats saying do not sign Baze, he's anti success for this squad but you let Bud talk about the nuisance of the game which don't even matter once Al left since he got no one that he can protect his sorry ass anymore. 

I also mentioned last year not to sign Dwight Howard since he was washed in Houston and athletically, he regressed to an extreme degree. This is where we are right now. Shameful. 

He's going to do something stupid like offer Indy a lot for a rental like Paul George when it's not going to work. Dwight is washed. Paul is getting old and Indy would want Prince who's not worth trading. This team needs to scrap this thing they got and rebuild. 

I'd take that one year rental of PG13 as long as we keep Prince.  If we can get him without giving up Prince, them I'm all for it. That one year rental will probably put this team at a minimum in the Eastern Conference finals.  We see what Sap and Dennis can do in the playoffs offensively, if you add PG13, the Hawks will have enough scoring (as far as starters) to match up well with most teams in the east. There's other smaller trades the Hawks can make with all their trade exceptions too to fill out the rest of the roster.

I'm not one for tanking, tanking still hasn't helped the 76ers, Braves, or whoever else you can name.  The GS warriors were a dumpster fire for damn near 20 years until they hit draft goal. I'll pass on that mess.

• Like 2

Dennis, Prince, and Bembry at this point are the only players that should be back next season.  No questions asked.  Bazemore and Howard will most likely return because nobody is dumb enough to want to trade for him and his contract.  So that's five players.  I think and I hope this team looks vastly different six months from now.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marco102 said:

I'd take that one year rental of PG13 as long as we keep Prince.  If we can get him without giving up Prince, them I'm all for it. That one year rental will probably put this team at a minimum in the Eastern Conference finals.  We see what Sap and Dennis can do in the playoffs offensively, if you add PG13, the Hawks will have enough scoring (as far as starters) to match up well with most teams in the east. There's other smaller trades the Hawks can make with all their trade exceptions too to fill out the rest of the roster.

I'm not one for tanking, tanking still hasn't helped the 76ers, Braves, or whoever else you can name.  The GS warriors were a dumpster fire for damn near 20 years until they hit draft goal. I'll pass on that mess.

They will want unprotected future picks. Not just picks for this year and next year. Picks for after next year.

• Like 1

Unless you're telling me that Paul George or someone of his ilk is coming to town, we're looking at a massive rebuild, ladies and gentlemen. We have a point guard still finding his way, an aging center, an overpaid, undersized swingman who can't shoot, a pair of youngsters who are still a little green, middling draft picks, and a glut of journeymen who are free agents. That's what we're left with if Millsap walks, with Hardaway surely to do the same if he does so. And a 2-5 year long rebuild, while probably necessary, isn't going to go over well AT ALL with fans when you're trying to do a nine-figure renovation to your building on mostly public funds (expansion of the local rental car tax but still) while losing 50+ games a season. That goes double for this franchise, where the only GM who managed to get things halfway right is no longer here. 

Super start to a super summer, huh? 

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

They will want unprotected future picks. Not just picks for this year and next year. Picks for after next year.

Give it to them.  We have several other teams first round picks in the next few drafts.  High risk high reward.

20 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I wasn't a fan of the Baze resigning when it happened. I was fine with HOU overpaying for him but unfortunately ATL wanted him back. 

I loved the Dwight signing at first because I thought the offense would evolve but unfortunately this year showed Bud needs stretch bigs for his system to work. He should have paid the money for Horford or brought Pero back.

I highly doubt Wilcox-Bud does a PG13 trade. I expect the team to look the same next season. Hopefully Dennis, Hardaway and Prince become a Big 3 next season. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Hawks aren't going to tank while Bud is here. 

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't like comparing to the Falcons because they landed the player their building around in Matt Ryan with a top 3 pick.

Atlanta has to get a top 3 pick and get that player. If that player is Bamba, Porter Jr or Ayton, good. If it's Zion Williamson or Bagley, good but it is not what we have now.

Dennis will have to be that guy. Bud has to find a way to better compliment him. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

You can't compare the NBA to any other team sport. You either have a legit superstar that you can build around to try to be a real contender or ...you have nothing. That's it. Every other team sport has ways to win titles without a superstar. But not the NBA. You gotta have at least one. If you don't then you are either straight rebuilding or worse, like the Hawks, caught in an endless cycle of meaningless playoff seasons but no chance of ever winning a title.

I am honestly tired of beating that drum. If Ressler wants to go all in on trying to trade or draft a superstar then he's on the right path. If we are just swapping deck chairs on the Titanic then what's the point.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sothron said:

You can't compare the NBA to any other team sport. You either have a legit superstar that you can build around to try to be a real contender or ...you have nothing. That's it. Every other team sport has ways to win titles without a superstar. But not the NBA. You gotta have at least one. If you don't then you are either straight rebuilding or worse, like the Hawks, caught in an endless cycle of meaningless playoff seasons but no chance of ever winning a title.

I am honestly tired of beating that drum. If Ressler wants to go all in on trying to trade or draft a superstar then he's on the right path. If we are just swapping deck chairs on the Titanic then what's the point.

Exactly. The 60-win team gave us some hope but the last two seasons have brought us back to the cold reality we've harped on for years before then. And the thought of starting a rebuild with middling draft picks is, well, ugh...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

I wasn't a fan of the Baze resigning when it happened. I was fine with HOU overpaying for him but unfortunately ATL wanted him back. 

I loved the Dwight signing at first because I thought the offense would evolve but unfortunately this year showed Bud needs stretch bigs for his system to work. He should have paid the money for Horford or brought Pero back.

I highly doubt Wilcox-Bud does a PG13 trade. I expect the team to look the same next season. Hopefully Dennis, Hardaway and Prince become a Big 3 next season. 

LMAO @ "or brought Pero back".   Seriously?

Even with Pero's "vaunted" screen game, his screens only work if the wings make shots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LMAO @ "or brought Pero back".   Seriously?

Even with Pero's "vaunted" screen game, his screens only work if the wings make shots.

Yeah, Pero is underrated. I just hate he was better in the regular season than playoffs.