• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that Sap says he will opt out...

noble

I agree it is a smart one. But I don't think we should even negotiate at this point. Let him walk and seriously blow this whole thing up. I dont know but I am so sick and tired of the mindset making the playoffs is the goal and we should be happy with that instead of having a real contending team. I would take a superstar I could be excited about. I miss Nique...lol.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, noble said:

Is it time for a real rebuild? What moves do you all think should happen now?

Yes but it won't happen. Let Millsap walk, draft BPA and resign Ersan. 

• Like 3

This team kind of reminds me of the 1998-99 Hawks.  Milsap is kind of like Steve Smith/Grant Long.  Mutumbo like Howard in a sense a good defensive center who was tough to build an offense around. They were aging and the Hawks decided to hit the reset button after a 2nd round loss in the playoffs.  That reset button ended up being I think 8 years before another playoff berth.  I also remember going down to a crisp new Phillips Arena for games where there were tons of empty seats.  With the Braves and Falcons gleaming over their new stadiums, I just don't see how the Hawks can completely hit the reset button.  I think in order to keep some fans in the seats they try to re-sign Milsap.  The question is whether this hurts them more in the long run.  I just don't see how this organization can embrace the tank with all the cool new stuff in town.  People will bail on this team fast.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It depends on what you mean by title contender. There's only two in the NBA for the next 3-4 years. Golden State and Cleveland. Every one is playing for a conference finals. That's the sad reality of the NBA.

Yeah, you're right.  I just wonder if there'll be better teams than Atlanta with the space to sign him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't think tanking is ever the answer.  I've watched it for 40 years and the majority of the time it doesn't work.  The only true Superstars the Hawks ever had that I saw play were Maravich and Wilkins.   You gotta have at least one Superstar.  It takes a damn good GM with support to put a winning team together.   They don't call it the lottery for nothing.  

1 hour ago, agentorange90 said:

This team kind of reminds me of the 1998-99 Hawks.  Milsap is kind of like Steve Smith/Grant Long.  Mutumbo like Howard in a sense a good defensive center who was tough to build an offense around. They were aging and the Hawks decided to hit the reset button after a 2nd round loss in the playoffs.  That reset button ended up being I think 8 years before another playoff berth.  I also remember going down to a crisp new Phillips Arena for games where there were tons of empty seats.  With the Braves and Falcons gleaming over their new stadiums, I just don't see how the Hawks can completely hit the reset button.  I think in order to keep some fans in the seats they try to re-sign Milsap.  The question is whether this hurts them more in the long run.  I just don't see how this organization can embrace the tank with all the cool new stuff in town.  People will bail on this team fast.

Attendance got worse this past season. A drop off wouldn't be that noticeable. Hawks were 26th this past season. 

1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

Other than re-signing with Atlanta, who are the viable suitors for Millsap?  He definitely wants to get paid, but can he do that AND end up on a title contender?

DEN and SAC. Both have shown consistent interest in him.

I don't think he cares if he plays on a title contender. He almost signed to ORL right after the ECF season.

I could imagine BOS (Horford connection)and BK (Atkinson connection) will approach him. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

DEN and SAC. Both have shown consistent interest in him.

I don't think he cares if he plays on a title contender. He almost signed to ORL right after the ECF season.

I could imagine BOS (Horford connection)and BK (Atkinson connection) will approach him. 

I honestly don't think Millsap was serious about signing in Orlando.  They were basically used as leverage to get the kind of deal he wanted from Atlanta.  And that's what he got almost immediately after it got out that Orlando was going to give him that full four year deal.  Barring a team that's better than Atlanta showing interest AND having the room to sign him, I expect Millsap to leverage the interest of some of these non-playoff teams to get the deal he wants from Atlanta.

• Like 1

In the end, believe Al was doing the same thing to us. Think he was already on his horse riding out of town. Just about every player does it until their golden years and even then by many of them still. Maximizing that contract. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jody23 said:

Yeah, you're right.  I just wonder if there'll be better teams than Atlanta with the space to sign him.

Yes.  Atlanta is borderline top half of the league.  I see about 5-6 teams who could have comparable cap space to what the Hawks would have that are better than or close to the Hawks  Utah, Portland, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, LAC, and Miami.  

What about 30/2 or 45/3 (TO last year) for Rudy Gay if Millsap leaves. He played well last season (efficient shooting, improved defense and passing). Yes, he was injured for a long time but we (should) retool anyway if Millsap leaves, so it's not a risky move imo. I would still resign Ily btw but he would be a bench player if we sign Rudy. We could play some big ball: Schro-Prince-Rudy-Ily-Rookie C or young FA (Felicio?) -hopefully not Howard. Schröder could use him as picknroll man or picknpop. (S5: Schro-x-Prince-Rudy-x)

Edited by ISOJOE