• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge article on Hawks / Ressler / GM

Bankingitbig

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

So, you would rather be bad for several years than be good and actually have a chance?

Treadmill teams never have a chance to win a championship in the NBA. The league simply isn't kind to teams with low ceilings. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm assuming the plan is to continue to build so if in 3 years we are ready then it will happen. So I'm not sure how you would do things differently unless you are suggesting a complete tear down and build thru the draft.

I would only give Sap a 3 year deal or let him walk. Frankly I would have started the rebuilding process before this season but I'm afraid the ownership is going to force the team to stay on the treadmill.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Guard said:

Treadmill teams never have a chance to win a championship in the NBA. The league simply isn't kind to teams with low ceilings. 

History is repeating itself...this is the same term used before the 60 win season along with the word "Tank"...Y'all have short memories.  The silver linning is that there are plenty of Tank teams out there to root for since some love those kinds of teams so much.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Guard said:

Ask Memphis about that. The coach literally had to beg to get a fair shake from the refs. That's how bad things are right now. If you don't have a superstar player, you better have a team of 'others' that are hitting on all cylinders or you are DONE. The NBA wants ratings and mediocrity doesn't get ratings.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I would only give Sap a 3 year deal or let him walk. Frankly I would have started the rebuilding process before this season but I'm afraid the ownership is going to force the team to stay on the treadmill.

I must be in the minority but I have enjoyed watching this team over the past few year over say the Braves.  But to each its own.

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

History is repeating itself...this is the same term used before the 60 win season along with the word "Tank"...Y'all have short memories.  The silver linning is that there are plenty of Tank teams out there to root for since some love those kinds of teams so much.

I don't have a short memory. I never thought that 60 win Hawk team would win a championship because they weren't built like a traditional NBA championship team. I ended up being right while watching my team get embarrassed in the ECF.

Hawks fans have ten years of evidence pointing to treadmilling not reaping any real benefits outside of playoff revenue. Treadmill teams always have a ceiling that can't be broken.

Edited by Guard
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Trust me, I don't want to tank. But we get the short end of the stick on trades and can't attract free agents. I just don't see any other way. Maybe the Hawks will surprise me and make a trade over the Summer or trade into the Lottery, but most likely they will sign Sap and say "Mission Accomplished" like they do after every offseason. There will be 'rumors' and 'sources' saying this guy or that guy is on the Hawks' radar. Nothing will happen and then we will hear they were soooo close to getting one of those guys but they weren't willing to give up 'young talent' for a superstar. Some posters will say, "at least they tried" and make various excuses. It's like the movie Groundhog Day. How many times is this going to happen?

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Guard said:

I don't have a short memory. I never thought that 60 win Hawk team would win a championship because they weren't built like a traditional NBA championship team. I ended up being right while watching my team get embarrassed in the ECF.

Hawks fans have ten years of evidence pointing to treadmilling not reaping any real benefits outside of playoff revenue. Treadmill teams always have a ceiling that can't be broken.

So you are trying to tell me that you didn't enjoy that season and would have preferred to watch a philly grade product instead?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DBac said:

The Hawks are an old 43 win team. It's not even about beating the Warriors or Bron at this point, gotta get past Boston and Washington. 

Dude...10 draft choices over ther next 3 years...this team will get young in a hurry over the next 2 years

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Dude...10 draft choices over ther next 3 years...this team will get young in a hurry over the next 2 years

Actually, we really need to package some of those for a Lottery pick. I'm not saying go full Dimitroff, but we need to get back into the Lottery like we did last season with Prince.

• Like 3

Just now, Peoriabird said:

So you are trying to tell be that you didn't enjoy that season and would have preferred to watch a philly grade product instead?

I couldn't fully enjoy the season like I wanted to because the unfortunate truth lingered in the back of my head the entire time.  Sometimes, being right isn't a good thing. In this case, it definitely wasn't. 

At the end of the day, if you can't beat the elite squads, it doesn't matter how many wins you get during the regular season. Too many games are played per series for miracles to happen. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Actually, we really need to package some of those for a Lottery pick. I'm not saying go full Dimitroff, but we need to get back into the Lottery like we did last season with Prince.

Always looking for the savoir...lol.  Minnesota got back to back rookies of the year...how many games did they win?  The error in most posters logic is high draft choice=Championship contender.  There is so much evidence to refute that notion it ain't even funny.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Guard said:

I couldn't fully enjoy the season like I wanted to because the unfortunate truth lingered in the back of my head the entire time.  Sometimes, being right isn't a good thing. In this case, it definitely wasn't. 

At the end of the day, if you can't beat the elite squads, it doesn't matter how many wins you get during the regular season. Too many games are played per series for miracles to happen. 

If a championship is the only thing that will make you happy then you are living in the wrong city

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So what's your plan here? Bring back Millsap and suddenly take on a youth movement(late first rounders aren't turning us into contenders unless we strike gold, Millsap already old)? Bring back Millsap and try to compete (which would require trading those same picks for a star)? Either way leads right back to the treadmill, imo. The second scenario I could live with if we land a younger guy. Thank god we didn't trade for Paul George, who looks primed to leave right after this year.

Edited by DBac
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If a championship is the only thing that will make you happy then you are living in the wrong city

Wouldn't that make me a bad fan rooting for another team?

That isn't a good excuse man.  All it takes is the right combination of competent front office men, good drafts, and good coaching for it to happen in Atlanta. The Falcons currently have that right now so it's easy for me to root for them despite the SB choke. The Hawks could get to that point but treadmilling for another ten years will ensure the odds of it happening will be severely low. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Always looking for the savoir...lol.  Minnesota got back to back rookies of the year...how many games did they win?  The error in most posters logic is high draft choice=Championship contender.  There is so much evidence to refute that notion it ain't even funny.

I'd trade our roster with the TWolves in a nanosecond. The Twolves would have been in the playoffs for at least the last two years if they were in the East and got to play teams like the Nets and Sixers instead of being fed to GSW, SA, Hou, Clips etc.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Guard said:

Wouldn't that make me a bad fan rooting for another team?

That isn't a good excuse man.  All it takes is the right combination of competent front office men, good drafts, and good coaching for it to happen in Atlanta. The Falcons currently have that right now so it's easy for me to root for them despite the SB choke. The Hawks could get to that point but treadmilling for another ten years will ensure the odds of it happening will be severely low. 

The Falcons have zero championships also

• Premium Member
On 05/09/2017 at 3:01 PM, Sothron said:

I'd trade our roster with the TWolves in a nanosecond. The Twolves would have been in the playoffs for at least the last two years if they were in the East and got to play teams like the Nets and Sixers instead of being fed to GSW, SA, Hou, Clips etc.

Of course you would because you believe with all of your heart in what you believe in which is teams filled with lottery picks have a brighter future than established teams like the Hawks and Grizzlies.  Unfortunately the numbers don't support your beliefs.