• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge article on Hawks / Ressler / GM

Bankingitbig

Sounds like Wilcox at least had a coherent vision of the team and Bud wanted none of it.  It also sounds like Bud's issues aren't just limited to personnel decisions either.  The fact that people connected to the team mentioned issues on the floor is a telling sign.  Really hope Bud's days are numbered.  

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Sounds like Wilcox at least had a coherent vision of the team and Bud wanted none of it.  It also sounds like Bud's issues aren't just limited to personnel decisions either.  The fact that people connected to the team mentioned issues on the floor is a telling sign.  Really hope Bud's days are numbered.  

Obviously Bud did not want to be in charge of a rebuild.  Who can blame him?  Coaches get fired while GMs start on their "rebuild" with 7 years of losing and crappy play.  Ressler may sign off on a rebuild, but he will intervene if the losing lasts too long.  New GM, Bud and Wes are all subject to the whims of Ressler.  Ressler is no better than ASG, other than he apparently has more money than ASG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

So this makes it all but certain that Paul Millsap is going to be wearing an Atlanta Hawks uniform next season. Just hope that a strong enough GM is acquired that one of those bad contracts gets sent packing because if not, resigning Paul Millsap puts this team in a hole cap wise.

Yeah, definitely got to move Baze/Dwight for cap space. Probably will have to lose this year's first to get rid of one of them.

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Obviously Bud did not want to be in charge of a rebuild.  Who can blame him?  Coaches get fired while GMs start on their "rebuild" with 7 years of losing and crappy play.  Ressler may sign off on a rebuild, but he will intervene if the losing lasts too long.  New GM, Bud and Wes are all subject to the whims of Ressler.  Ressler is no better than ASG, other than he apparently has more money than ASG.

Well Bud's seat should be red hot right about now.  Regressed each season and counting.  His personnel decisions are a main reason why this team has plummeted.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If Wilcox wanted to blow it up and rebuild around the youth then he's the only one that should be running the show. Newflash Hawks owners and potential new GM: we ain't beating Cleveland until Lebron is too old to be elite anymore. Pencil in at least 3 years for that to happen. If we rebuilt in those 3 years and were ready to go once Lebron finally can't superman his way to Finals anymore we would be ready to be a real contender.

Sticking with half measures is a permanent lukewarm solution. Being "ok" to win 40-50 games is lukewarm. Being "ok" to get put out every year in the first or second round is lukewarm.

I'm tired of lukewarm.

3 years huh?  I don't think that Philly, Sacramento, Denver, Minnesota, New jersey, Orlando and Phoenix agrees with you.

• Like 2

I think Cuban is the only example where a meddling owner kind of worked out.  Good owners/leaders put the right people in the right position and empower them to make decisions - they don't micromanage and make decisions on their own.  It's the difference between being the Spurs or being the Kings.

I think they made the right choice with Bud and Wilcox, but what kind of GM is going to want to come in to a situation where they don't feel like they have full control to do their job?  That's what worries me most.  We could lose out on a good candidate because of it.

I'm getting flashbacks.....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Yup, very troubling. It is beginning to look like we're in ASG, the Sequel. Sigh.

By the by, Ressler said on a radio interveiw he has a small group of 2 to 3 owners helping with selecting the next GM. Want to bet one of those is no other than GM Jr, Mike Gearon?

If he's back involved with this team, I may drive somewhere and...

UL-Crash-main-600x.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

3 years huh?  I don't think that Philly, Sacramento, Denver, Minnesota, New jersey, Orlando and Phoenix agrees with you.

3 years is what Lebron has to stay on top. After that age/injury should wear him down to the point where he's just good/really good and not the best player in the game. That's the window we need to be shooting for.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

3 years is what Lebron has to stay on top. After that age/injury should wear him down to the point where he's just good/really good and not the best player in the game. That's the window we need to be shooting for.

I'm assuming the plan is to continue to build so if in 3 years we are ready then it will happen. So I'm not sure how you would do things differently unless you are suggesting a complete tear down and build thru the draft.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm assuming the plan is to continue to build so if in 3 years we are ready then it will happen. So I'm not sure how you would do things differently unless you are suggesting a complete tear down and build thru the draft.

I probably wouldn't re-sign Sap to be completely honest. Believe me I don't want to suck next season, but I also don't want to see this team limited by bad contracts and stuck winning ~45 games for the next 4 or 5 seasons either. This season has soured me on continuing things as they currently are. A shake up needs to happen this offseason.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I probably wouldn't re-sign Sap to be completely honest. Believe me I don't want to suck next season, but I also don't want to see this team limited by bad contracts and stuck winning ~45 games for the next 4 or 5 seasons either. This season has soured me on continuing things as they currently are. A shake up needs to happen this offseason.

Not that I agree with this but it has become very apparent that resigning Sap is a priority for the organization.  In a way I can be at peace with it because you never give away assets you trade them.  also I think most here are operating under the false assumption that the league views Millsap the same way they view real stars and because of this, someone will offer an outrageous contract...like 120 million over 4 years.  That's not going to happen even if someone has the money and I don't think anyone does except a couple of bottom feeders...Saps contract will most likely be close to Howard's contract.  3 years $70 mil. A very movable contract in today's NBA if things don't work out next year.

• Like 2

People, people, people. There's no need to get all uneasy because the owner's getting more hands-on with his team. This is basic business. You have to get your hands dirty to right the wrong. The issues he presented are all palatable because we saw it from our couches. Wes was way over his head and Bud's showing everyone in the league that he sat next to Pop for all of those years and didn't retain anything. Keeping Sap should be the first task due to our draft position and weak assets. Then, we need to look seriously at Dwight and Baze. Someone has to go!

19 hours ago, Alex said:

LOL!  We really hope the days of a legitimate top 10 coach in the NBA are numbered.

You must have forgotten what this team was during the Mike Woodson/Lon Kruger/Terry Stotts years.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sothron said:

If Wilcox wanted to blow it up and rebuild around the youth then he's the only one that should be running the show. Newflash Hawks owners and potential new GM: we ain't beating Cleveland until Lebron is too old to be elite anymore. Pencil in at least 3 years for that to happen. If we rebuilt in those 3 years and were ready to go once Lebron finally can't superman his way to Finals anymore we would be ready to be a real contender.

Sticking with half measures is a permanent lukewarm solution. Being "ok" to win 40-50 games is lukewarm. Being "ok" to get put out every year in the first or second round is lukewarm.

I'm tired of lukewarm.

So, you would rather be bad for several years than be good and actually have a chance?

3 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

I think Cuban is the only example where a meddling owner kind of worked out.  Good owners/leaders put the right people in the right position and empower them to make decisions - they don't micromanage and make decisions on their own.  It's the difference between being the Spurs or being the Kings.

I think they made the right choice with Bud and Wilcox, but what kind of GM is going to want to come in to a situation where they don't feel like they have full control to do their job?  That's what worries me most.  We could lose out on a good candidate because of it.

I'm getting flashbacks.....

Do any of you really think any GM in any sport has the ability to make a move without approval from ownership?