• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge article on Hawks / Ressler / GM

Bankingitbig

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Guard said:

Wouldn't that make me a bad fan rooting for another team?

If I were the owner of the team, I would prefer you to root for another team vs always complaining about mine.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If a championship is the only thing that will make you happy then you are living in the wrong city

If you don't want a championship then you shouldn't be a fan of sports. Not just this team or this sport but any sport. You either are in it to win it or you are wasting time.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Of course you would because you believe with all of your heart in what you believe in which is teams filled with lottery pick have a brighter future that established teams like the Hawks and Grizzlies.  Unfortunately the numbers don't support you beliefs.

Er...no. The NBA is about superstars. Period. However you can get them is moot. You don't win championships in the NBA without superstars. There's been two teams in the history of the entire NBA that won a title without any superstars. The last time was going on 12 years ago.

You can believe that treadmill playoff teams have a shot at winning a title all you want but the numbers don't support your beliefs.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Sothron said:

If you don't want a championship then you shouldn't be a fan of sports. Not just this team or this sport but any sport. You either are in it to win it or you are wasting time.

Did say I didn't want to follow a championship team but it's not the only reason I enjoy sports...Loved several Falcon squads that didn't have a chance at a championship but I hated the Bobby Cox Braves...mainly because Cox

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Did say I didn't want to follow a championship team but it's not the only reason I enjoy sports...Loved several Falcon squads that didn't have a chance at a championship but I hated the Bobby Cox Braves...mainly because Cox

You are comparing completely different sports. Every OTHER team sport has proven that any good team can get hot in the playoffs and win a title. But not the NBA. You simply do not ever, ever, ever win a title in the NBA unless you have at least one superstar on your roster.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Er...no. The NBA is about superstars. Period. However you can get them is moot. You don't win championships in the NBA without superstars. There's been two teams in the history of the entire NBA that won a title without any superstars. The last time was going on 12 years ago.

You can believe that treadmill playoff teams have a shot at winning a title all you want but the numbers don't support your beliefs.

Look...if we could get LeBron somehow, I would be all for it...but we can't so stop crying and wishing for thing that will never happen in Atlanta please!  I enjoy a competitive team and if we happen to stumble across a superstar then I would love it...But when posters talk about giving up the farm for players like Paul George and before Chris Paul...it won't change anything. We would still be in the same position because those guys aren't superstars and never have been 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Look...if we could get LeBron somehow, I would be all for it...but we can't so stop crying and wishing for thing that will never happen in Atlanta please!  I enjoy a competitive team and if we happen to stumble across a superstar then I would love it...But when posters talk about giving up the farm for players like Paul George and before Chris Paul...it won't change anything. We would still be in the same position because those guys aren't superstars and never have been 

I never argued to give up for the farm for either of those guys. We need a legit superstar. Both of those guys are but they are stuck on teams without a second superstar or teams that can't stay healthy in the playoffs. Not really the same situation we have.

Wishing for things that will never happen in Atlanta? Well I guess that's where this agree to disagree thing is going to come into play. You already said several times you settle for treadmill and don't care about competing for a title. I will never to my dying day accept that kind of thinking. That's like the complete opposite of what fandom is to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I never argued to give up for the farm for either of those guys. We need a legit superstar. Both of those guys are but they are stuck on teams without a second superstar or teams that can't stay healthy in the playoffs. Not really the same situation we have.

Wishing for things that will never happen in Atlanta? Well I guess that's where this agree to disagree thing is going to come into play. You already said several times you settle for treadmill and don't care about competing for a title. I will never to my dying day accept that kind of thinking. That's like the complete opposite of what fandom is to me.

When I initially started watching the Hawks, making the playoffs was fun and exciting. But after 10 straight years of nothingburgers it's lost the mystique. The 60 win team had a chance and promptly got swept by the Kevin Love and Kyrie-less Cavaliers. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Ok I'll play along...What Superstars do you recommend we target?  And how do we get them?

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Response for wrong poster

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If I were the owner of the team, I would prefer you to root for another team vs always complaining about mine.

Fans have a right to complain when the team is consistently choosing an option that has no real path to a championship appearance. Playoff revenue doesn't put money in my pockets and that is the only positive attached with being a treadmill squad. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, DBac said:

When I initially started watching the Hawks, making the playoffs was fun and exciting. But after 10 straight years of nothingburgers it's lost the mystique. The 60 win team had a chance and promptly got swept by the Kevin Love and Kyrie-less Cavaliers. 

Sounds like you no long enjoy watching or following the Hawks...And unless they pull off a miracle, you won't be happy with them. So stop following them...they cant make you happy just like the Braves and UGA football can't make me happy so I stop watching. It's just that simple.  Poster that have lost their connection to the players on this team have no reason to root for them.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Sounds like you no long enjoy watching or following the Hawks...And unless they pull off a miracle, you won't be happy with them. So stop followimy them...they cant5make you happy just lime the Braves and UGA football can't make me happy so I stop watch.  It's just that simple.  Poster that have lost their connection to the players on this team have no reason to root for them.

I love basketball, football, and the chase for a championship. The Hawks and Falcons got me for life.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Do any of you really think any GM in any sport has the ability to make a move without approval from ownership?

There's a difference between giving a final nod of approval on a move proposed by a GM vs. stepping in as an owner and making your own decisions and maybe listening to a GM's advice.

You can empower a GM to do his job but still have the final say without being an impediment.  As long as that's the role Ressler envisions I'm cool with it.

• Premium Member

I have to admit that I get attached to players and everyone should know that I was very attached to Teague and Horford.  I let Teague go because the trade made sense in many ways i.e. giving Dennis his chance and giving the Hawks the opportunity to get young thru the draft...I absolutely love Prince and can't wait to watch him develop over the years win or lose.  As for Horford, once he betrayed the Hawks, he was dead to me. I am also becoming attach to Thjr  and warming up to Dennis.  I'm not a Millsap guy but I can tolerate him but I do like Howard.  Believe it or not I can also tolerate Baze  when he isn't turning the ball over repeatedly.  I like Bembry but not a fan of Muscala or Ryan Kelly or even Thabo anymore. On the fense with Delaney and Ilyasova.  Can't wait for the draft..Got some nice athletic power fowards in this class.

• Like 2

I could roll with a total rebuild, but what reputable coach is going to struggle with that group. Thibodeau is going crazy in Minny with all the youth and he's ready to trade much of it for vets. Who do you trust to make these franchise altering choices. Nobody in the organization is comfortable with Wilcox in that position. 

I'm just waiting on the the new GM and seeing how he wants to manuveur. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kimsey said:

I could roll with a total rebuild, but what reputable coach is going to struggle with that group. Thibodeau is going crazy in Minny with all the youth and he's ready to trade much of it for vets. Who do you trust to make these franchise altering choices. Nobody in the organization is comfortable with Wilcox in that position. 

I'm just waiting on the the new GM and seeing how he wants to manuveur. 

Me too. Like I said, I know Bud and the owner would rather win and try to steal a deal but they need A LOT of LUCK!

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

LOL!  We really hope the days of a legitimate top 10 coach in the NBA are numbered.

You must have forgotten what this team was during the Mike Woodson/Lon Kruger/Terry Stotts years.

Nothing has changed overall.  The Hawks are still an afterthought and the definition of mediocrity.  Coaching is far less important in the NBA than other sports, but it really only makes a difference when you are a bad coach or a really good coach which doesn't exist too often.  Bad rotations, in game adjustments, and fundamental flaws on defense are a result of poor coaching.  Bud is an okay coach, but nothing special.  He's proving that the 60 win season was a total fluke every calendar year that passes.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Alex said:

Nothing has changed overall.  The Hawks are still an afterthought and the definition of mediocrity.  Coaching is far less important in the NBA than other sports, but it really only makes a difference when you are a bad coach or a really good coach which doesn't exist too often.  Bad rotations, in game adjustments, and fundamental flaws on defense are a result of poor coaching.  Bud is an okay coach, but nothing special.  He's proving that the 60 win season was a total fluke every calendar year that passes.

Lol!

the 60 win season was a product of the us against the world mentality that team had due to the Danny Ferry situation. It probably gets about 52-54 wins under normal circumstances.

Heck, with the Wilcox situation, we might see another season with the us against the world mentality soon.