• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge article on Hawks / Ressler / GM

Bankingitbig

So this makes it all but certain that Paul Millsap is going to be wearing an Atlanta Hawks uniform next season. Just hope that a strong enough GM is acquired that one of those bad contracts gets sent packing because if not, resigning Paul Millsap puts this team in a hole cap wise.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm actually glad all of the changes are happening. At least we know that they realize things couldn't continue as they were going. I have no issue with Ressler taking charge. This is essentially his team so it's his right. I just hope he knows what he is doing and I hope he knows when to cut bait. It's actually good to see that management saw the same issues on and off the court that the fans saw.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think that source in the final quote is talking about Kent Bazemore and Mike Muscala. That's all I can think of.

Definitely thought about Baze in terms of the unaccountability part. I thought the source was particularly talking about THJ in guarding Beal in terms of THJ having no business trying to guard him.

8 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Definitely thought about Baze in terms of the unaccountability part. I thought the source was particularly talking about THJ in guarding Beal in terms of THJ having no business trying to guard him.

Could be but the stuff Bazemore was doing out there was extremely egregious on both ends.  THJ could've played better.  That's for sure.  However, I believe Bazemore was a primary reason we lost multiple games.

Also, Ressler getting more involved is horrible.  Let the basketball people do basketball things.  Let the owners sign checks.  That he's such a fan of Millsap is troubling.  He has been great for us but he's still an old player looking to make superstar money.  That the owner is a huge fan of his personally is a problem.  You want to be paying Sap $30+ million in 5 years?  That's what Ressler appears to be about to sign us up for.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Could be but the stuff Bazemore was doing out there was extremely egregious on both ends.  THJ could've played better.  That's for sure.  However, I believe Bazemore was a primary reason we lost multiple games.

Also, Ressler getting more involved is horrible.  Let the basketball people do basketball things.  Let the owners sign checks.  That he's such a fan of Millsap is troubling.  He has been great for us but he's still an old player looking to make superstar money.  That the owner is a huge fan of his personally is a problem.  You want to be paying Sap $30+ million in 5 years?  That's what Ressler appears to be about to sign us up for.

My take is that Ressler only wants to be involved to ensure that we retain Millsap and then will hand the keys to a new GM. Let's hope that's it.

18 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

My take is that Ressler only wants to be involved to ensure that we retain Millsap and then will hand the keys to a new GM. Let's hope that's it.

Yeah but if retaining Sap involves anything over a 2yr deal then it's to the detriment of the Hawks.

I'm hoping Ressler shuts the FU and gets back to writing checks.  I hate the owner that needs to let everyone know he's "in charge".  We get it.  You're in charge.  Now follow the model of the successful owners in the sport and simply empower the people you hire.

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup, very troubling. It is beginning to look like we're in ASG, the Sequel. Sigh.

By the by, Ressler said on a radio interveiw he has a small group of 2 to 3 owners helping with selecting the next GM. Want to bet one of those is no other than GM Jr, Mike Gearon?

5 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

Yup, very troubling. It is beginning to look like we're in ASG, the Sequel. Sigh.

By the by, Ressler said on a radio interveiw he has a small group of 2 to 3 owners helping with selecting the next GM. Want to bet one of those is no other than GM Jr, Mike Gearon?

Will Smith No

No no no

(I read/heard there's an Unbreakable 2 in the works?)

NO NO NO

I want to take this moment to say that the lack of gifs on the site likely contributed to our playoff failure.  Because of @Sothron I eschewed many gif-infused posts so as not to offend his sensibilities.  It's not #ThanksObama for me, it's #ThanksSoth

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Now this worries me but I'm hoping this is just PR. Billionaires understand assets and liabilities.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

11c7226e4c015aeb56e430a2e8ebee9e77e1def3

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Now this worries me but I'm hoping this is just PR. Billionaires understand assets and liabilities.

Uhm, not necessarily.  Certainly not in a cap-driven league.

I bet a lot of them are like, "Bwah, $35mil.  Eh, I got that in my sock drawer.  Jus' pay it."

Yeah ok, that's fine but what are the cap implications.

• Moderators

The truth is we are looking for a great GM who adds to what we have as a franchise, not with a preconceived notion of a direction.

This is going to be hard to find.   This sounds like a position with 3 bosses.   Ressler, Bud, Wes.   This sounds like how you end up with Rick Sund as GM.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Can't we all get along and agree that both THJr and Baze shamed themselves?

(Stupid mobile phone can't insert images.)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

One source said there was unhappiness among some with a lack of accountability for other players who consistently made mistakes on the floor. There was also confusion why Budenholzer kept a healthy Thabo Sefolosha out of the rotation during the Wizards’ matchup, especially after Washington’s Bradley Beal started cooking offensively late in the series.

“We had guys out there doing (stuff) they had no business doing,” the source said.

In other words, WTF was Bud thinking having that personnel group in the game during crunch time of a very winnable game.  As Chris Paul would say

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is going to be hard to find.   This sounds like a position with 3 bosses.   Ressler, Bud, Wes.   This sounds like how you end up with Rick Sund as GM.

I think it is very clear, because Ressler clearly states in another article that Bud will report to the new GM.  Wes is simply an advisor.  He will only be giving his input, not making the decision.