• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Paul Millsap Officially Opts out of his contract

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-hawks-star-paul-millsap-opts-free-agency-155705808.html

Cue the national media's "Ehrmahgard, da Hawks cain't keep no free agentz .." storyline.

"Dey couldn't even keep the Mare Carole and Jeff Teek leff too.  Den dey gav Kial Korvah to Clevelin for nuthin'.  Treadmill team, blah, blah, blah ..."

ETA: Also, I should state, I think he ends up in HOU.  TIFWIW

Sorry I love Sap but he's not worth 205 mil...very few guys in this league are however if he was younger I'd be all for giving him his money but I say let Sap walk unless the front office can do something major and get a talent like Jimmy Butler on the team. If Hawks can land Jimmy Butler or a player of that status then by all means pay Millsap.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Sorry I love Sap but he's not worth 205 mil...very few guys in this league are however if he was younger I'd be all for giving him his money but I say let Sap walk unless the front office can do something major and get a talent like Jimmy Butler on the team. If Hawks can land Jimmy Butler or a player of that status then by all means pay Millsap.

Not a fan of those numbers at all.

Milsap is not getting $205 million from any team including the Hawks.  There aren't many teams with capspace to pay him nearly $30 million a year (teams that are good I should say).  I think we are going to be suprised when the Hawks bring him back at a reasonable deal $25 - $27 million a year over the life of the contract.  I still don't like those numbers considering the Hawks will be way over the cap.  Only reasonable thing to do is move Baze for something or give up some draft picks to get a decent shooter.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/5/22/15672372/nba-free-agency-2017-paul-millsap-market  It seems like this dude has been reading my don't resign Millsap for more than $25 million posts (he used my number) and then put the most positive spin possible on teams getting him.  I might have to write him a strongly worded letter about what signing Millsap would do to Boston's cap/team in 2018 and beyond.

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Milsap is not getting $205 million from any team including the Hawks.  There aren't many teams with capspace to pay him nearly $30 million a year (teams that are good I should say).  I think we are going to be suprised when the Hawks bring him back at a reasonable deal $25 - $27 million a year over the life of the contract.  I still don't like those numbers considering the Hawks will be way over the cap.  Only reasonable thing to do is move Baze for something or give up some draft picks to get a decent shooter.

Utah will be the biggest threat as I can see them trying to pair Millsap with Hayward going forward.  They might even be willing to make a sign and trade deal with Atlanta, depending upon how much they actually plan on offering.  Atlanta can offer more.  

The Hawks could get a young guy in Trey Lyles who may be close to ready to being able to help a team win at this point in his development.  He is going into his third season, and he hasn't been what some would have expected but they should have expected him to struggle.  

One major drawback to letting Paul walk is that you lose his leadership.  Going forward, Dennis Schröder is the most important player on the team, but Paul is a steadying influence on him.  If you lose Paul, then the guy who will have the most influence in the locker room by default is Dwight Howard.

• Like 1

I can see MIN and DEN throwing him the max ($152mm/4years). We are the only team that can offer the $207mm/5years, but I doubt we offer that similar to how we didn't offer Horford the full Bird rights max. There is no way Paul takes any deal less than 4 years given his age. If we don't make any major moves, then I hope we take a pass on him even though I am a big fan of his game.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

I can see MIN and DEN throwing him the max ($152mm/4years). We are the only team that can offer the $207mm/5years, but I doubt we offer that similar to how we didn't offer Horford the full Bird rights max. There is no way Paul takes any deal less than 4 years given his age. If we don't make any major moves, then I hope we take a pass on him even though I am a big fan of his game.

I think HOU (if they can get rid of Anderson), SAS (if they can get rid of LMA), TOR still (if they move on from Ibaka), BKN will be sniffing around Sap enough to drive up his price.

I didn't think he'd get a 4yr deal but now I think he will.  I think the Hawks will approach him with a MIA-like deal for him to take less money but be semi-guaranteed a role with the team post-career.  A real role, not like being a sideline guy or w/e.  That'd be schmart.  It's one way to differentiate us as all these johnny-come-lately suitors have no prior relationship with him to offer something like that.