• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Frank Ntilikina

marco102

The week before last, Bud was in Europe checking out Frank and a few of us have been discussing him.  I believe he has the potential to be a two-way star in Bud's system.  I believe Bud will groom him to be the starting two next to Dennis. He turns 19 the week after and is 6'5" with a wingspan close to 7 ft.  He's already playing super well in the Frech Pro League A. See highlights below. 

If the Hawks decide to move up in the draft, I hope it's this guy!  He's projected to go from 9 (NBAdraft.net) to 11 (DraftExpress).  I'm not sure of the costs to move up to10 spots, but I believe it will be worth it.  

What are your thoughts on Frank? 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 2

My wild thought wouldn't work here. So here's another wild thought that would require the Knicks being stupid (maybe they are) and make people mad here:

Dwight Howard for Knicks #8. Just straight swap.

They might be dumb enough. I wouldn't expect them to be but they might.

Realistically, DeAndre Bembry, 2018 Minnesota pick, and a 2nd.

I don't think that's enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My wild thought wouldn't work here. So here's another wild thought that would require the Knicks being stupid (maybe they are) and make people mad here:

The Hawks will need to take Melo off their hands I believe which I'm not super opposed to.  If Melo agress swap him and Dwight. I'd take that all day every day.  I wonder if the Kings would trade Willie Caulie -Stein to the Hawks to replace Dwight.

• Like 1

I've been one of the people who have been all about him for the past few days. I posted a pretty long reasoning why he is really the only player worth the Hawks trading up for in the trading up thread. But really, how much would it take to move into the 8-10 range? I really have no clue. Is it even doable without losing Taurean or Dennis? Like the NFL draft is easy to predict what things cost, but the NBA is so tough for me. In any case, if we can move up to get him without losing our any of our own picks in future years, we definitely should.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

I'd do your realistic trade in a heartbeat since the Minnesota pick is protected. Also the Knicks have Noah's contract killing hen at center, they couldn't add Dwight too. That would be investing $37 million annually in aging centers and one of them is constantly hurt and not good at all. Maybe we could start a Melo trade? Like we get 8, They get 19 and a pick from a team that wants Melo and another team gets Melo. Of course second rounders could be thrown around as needed.

Edited by CP61

15 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I'd do your realistic trade in a heartbeat since the Minnesota pick is protected. Also the Knicks have Noah's contract killing hen at center, they couldn't add Dwight too. That would be investing $37 million annually in aging centers and one of them is constantly hurt and not good at all.

You could make this trade work with Baze and Dunleavy.  You'll keep Dwight, but get Carmelo and possibly swap picks.  The Knicks want to get rid of Melo at all costs. I don't know if they will give us thier pick, but who knows. 

Edited by marco102

M

18 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I'd do your realistic trade in a heartbeat since the Minnesota pick is protected. Also the Knicks have Noah's contract killing hen at center, they couldn't add Dwight too. That would be investing $37 million annually in aging centers and one of them is constantly hurt and not good at all. Maybe we could start a Melo trade? Like we get 8, They get 19 and a pick from a team that wants Melo and another team gets Melo. Of course second rounders could be thrown around as needed.

Sorry that last trade idea doesn't make sense. We would just be swapping 19 for 8 lol. Maybe 19, Minny's pick, and maybe even Clevelands. 

29 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You could make this trade work with Baze and Dunleavy.  You'll keep Dwight, but get Carmelo and possibly swap picks.  The Knicks want to get rid of Melo at all costs. I don't know if they will give us thier pick, but who knows. 

I don't want Melo I want to tear the team down and rebuild. I want their pick and to get rid of Dwight/Baze or both preferably. Anyone over 25 is expendable in my eyes and if we can move them for picks, we should. If we can move into the top ten this year, for Ntilikina preferably, "earn" a top 10 pick next year, then we become a promising young team instead of an above average, older team.

2 hours ago, CP61 said:

I don't want Melo I want to tear the team down and rebuild. I want their pick and to get rid of Dwight/Baze or both preferably. Anyone over 25 is expendable in my eyes and if we can move them for picks, we should. If we can move into the top ten this year, for Ntilikina preferably, "earn" a top 10 pick next year, then we become a LOSING young team instead of an WINNING older team.

I corrected that for you.

aLong term, Frank Ntilikina would be a perfect fit alongside Dennis Schröder, and he gives the option of playing point guard when you want to sit Dennis or let Dennis play some off the ball.  I think he's one of two guys that would actually be worth Atlanta trading up to get.  The other might be Jonathan Isaac.  

I'd definitely put the Minnesota pick on the table.  We will never see a 1st rounder from them, as they aren't close to making the playoffs.  I'd hesitate to trade 31 though, because it is debatable to me whether getting Ntilikina vs getting Hartenstein/Mushidi would be better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I corrected that for you.

I mean I'd rather lose with a chance at a championship in 5 years than have no shot ever. Lebron is so dominant we need to build for 2021 and beyond not 2018. I'd have more fun watching young players play than what we have been doing anyway. The Warriors had to suck to get where they are and so did the Cavs. Just gotta get young and hit on your draft picks and then build around them. And I think we have enough ammo to build a playoff team after about 2 seasons of missing. Maybe just one if we can find Demarre, Millsap, or Bazemore like gems for a steal. 

I don't believe those who want to lose understand the gravity and detriment losing actually does to a culture and a team.  Also, you don't improve your chances of competing for a championship by losing.  You lessen your chances, because losers don't compete for championships, and it will take 5 years to just get back to the point the Hawks are currently at.  I keep using them as an example, but see the Timberwolves, Kings, Lakers, Suns, and 76ers right now.  None of them are closer to the playoffs than they were 5 years ago.

20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't believe those who want to lose understand the gravity and detriment losing actually does to a culture and a team.  Also, you don't improve your chances of competing for a championship by losing.  You lessen your chances, because losers don't compete for championships, and it will take 5 years to just get back to the point the Hawks are currently at.  I keep using them as an example, but see the Timberwolves, Kings, Lakers, Suns, and 76ers right now.  None of them are closer to the playoffs than they were 5 years ago.

And I can't understand how people aren't excited for the future of the Wolves and Sixers. They are in a great places because they picked well. We are in purgatory. Also rebuilding isn't trying to lose, it's making the team young. Losing comes naturally then. I don't see how you wouldn't trade 3 seasons of sucking for Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. I'll tell you that Sixers fans are much more excited for the future than Hawks fans. Which, in the end, is what it's all about. I just don't think the Hawks were that good last year anyway, so the time has come to start over. I think that missing the playoffs even if Millsap came back is a real possibility, so why not move on and show the fans this isn't a treadmill franchise.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

We will never see a 1st rounder from them, as they aren't close to making the playoffs.  I

I think they get in next season. Thibs will get a couple vets...they already have the young core moving into their prime so I doubt they mess around anymore. I think they trade their lottery pick for a vet and get the 7th or 8th seed in the west next year and we get a 15-20 pick next year most likely.

37 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If either one of those teams makes the playoffs within the next 2 years, I'll send you a $100 check.

Can I get that with the Wolves making it? :-)

11 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think they get in next season. Thibs will get a couple vets...they already have the young core moving into their prime so I doubt they mess around anymore. I think they trade their lottery pick for a vet and get the 7th or 8th seed in the west next year and we get a 15-20 pick next year most likely.

A good bit of talent there so I expected more with Thibs presence and their starting five. A little before the break thought they had a slim chance at the eighth spot but losses piled up and they finished up losing twelve out of the last fifteen games. LaVine's ACL tear was pretty crushing for them, barely got over half a season on the court from him. Ugh. Still see us possibly getting that pick because of that word again, talent, its on their roster.

• Like 1

Player A: 16.5 PER, .534 TS%, 6.3 TRB%, 10.6 AST%, 9.4 TOV%, 29.0 USG, 4.2 WS, 0.066 WS/48, -2.7 BPM, -0.6 VORP

Player B: 15.2 PER, .568 TS%, 5.7 TRB%, 14.3 AST%, 9.5 TOV%, 22.5 USG, 4.8 WS, 0.107 WS/48, -0.3 BPM, 0.9 VORP

Who do you take?

That Minny pick finally conveys next year IMO. Before we talk sh** about them and their "tanking", I don't think Atlanta fans have much room to talk sh** about Minny: 

1. Minny has swept Atlanta for two years twice.

2. Minny was not THAT bad if you go by SRS and projected win loss. Projected Win loss had them one win off from surpassing Atlanta last season, who was lucky to be above .500.

I need to see offseason moves, but if Atlanta doesn't make significant moves that will help, Minny is going to surpass them in 17/18. They're more talented and gained experience that will help. Considering they traded their star in Love (and was going to lose him anyway), while its been bad, it hasn't been THAT bad for them.