• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I believe Howard can change

JTB

12 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah, that's his best bet. In a perfect world, I'd love for him to be like Elton Brand during his time in ATL. He adapted well to Bud's scheme and didn't cause a headline.

Elton had that reputation of a good locker room teammate and a helpful coach on the floor. We can only dream about that coming from Dwight. Still we can use those boards on both ends of the court and hope Dwight doesn't get bated by the media so often. His mouth is one of his biggest enemies. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah, that's his best bet. In a perfect world, I'd love for him to be like Elton Brand during his time in ATL. He adapted well to Bud's scheme and didn't cause a headline.

Except Brand barely got off the bench.  Especially that last year when even with injured bigs he couldn't get in a game.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Except Brand barely got off the bench.  Especially that last year when even with injured bigs he couldn't get in a game.

Yeah, I don't see the comparison to Brand as far as role with the team.  

True story guys.

After decades of painstaking investigation, and a little bit of luck, the FBI has finally cracked the only unsolved aircraft hijacking in U.S. history.

They were searching all this time for D.B. Cooper when, according to handwriting analysis, it was D.H. Cooper all along.

That's right, the hijacker's name was .... Dwight.  Howard.  Boom.

Sincerely,

@Lurker

On 5/30/2017 at 4:43 PM, NBASupes said:

Dwight is Dwight, we know what he is and what he isn't. He's not as bad in the right situation and he's not as bad in the wrong one. 

In this one, he is a productive center, one of the more productive centers in the NBA. But he's a flawed one. One of the worst in the NBA. His time as an impact player is finished. He is a net negative for most teams. That said,  it doesn't bother me none. He is not the difference or any wins for us especially without Sap. The only issue I have is his unpredictable personality. It can be bad for team building.

I have no issues with keeping Bazemore. If we can't get anything of any value for him, keep him. Not an impact. He is not a difference either way. 

Ummm, I don't know about all of this.

When Dwight is producing in points and on the boards, the Hawks are a much better team, than when he isn't.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/dwight-howard/profile/17/1/6

That link compares what Dwight does against the opposing center, if both guys play at least 25 minutes a game.   When he won his matchup, the Hawks were 23 - 13 ( regular season and playoffs ).   When he didn't, the Hawks were 4 - 12.

Millsap had the same effect on the team:  Hawks were 24 - 10 when he won his matchup vs the other PF . . . 9 - 18 when he didn't.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/paul-millsap/profile/17/1/10

Same thing with Schröder:  Hawks were 20 - 8 when he won his matchup . . . 14 - 25 when he didn't.  ( Note:  With Dennis being our main guy, he can't lose his matchup that often.  He has to flip that W/L in the matchup. I believe he will do it next season. )

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/dennis-Schröder/profile/17/1/13

With Bazemore, the Hawks were a coin flip to win/lose the game when he and his opponent played 25+ minutes:   Hawks were 7 - 6 when he won his matchup . . . 12 - 13 when he didn't.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/kent-bazemore/profile/17/1/1

The problem with the Hawks last year, is that these guys didn't win their individual matchups nearly enough.  The Hawks win percentage is great when Dwight won his matchup.  But when he only won the matchup 36 times, it didn't have the overall effect that it should have.   What it DOES mean, is what I said all season.  Dwight's presence on the team kept the Hawks from being much worse than what they could've been.

Honestly though, we need Paul and/or Dennis winning their individual matchups in at least 50 games.  And having the Hawks win at least 35 or 40 of those games, if people are looking for Dwight's role to be reduced.  He was much more important to this team, than people give him credit for.

• Like 2

Hawks NBA efficiency rank by position;

POINT GUARD:  28th - ( 21st offensive . . 28th defensive ) . . . that's Dennis being slightly above average for most of the year ( in a PG heavy league ), and Delaney being garbage on both ends of the floor.  Despite being 13th in the league in point production ( 23.3 per game ), the point guards still lost the efficiency battle ( -4.6 ).  We need a quality backup PG in the worst way . . or Dennis needs to be "Playoff Dennis" during the regular season.

SHOOTING GUARD:  18th - ( 17th offensvie - 20th defensive ) . . . Still below average, but Hardaway Jr balling for most of the year, and Baze somewhat stabilizing offensively after the All-Star break, helped us be out of the bottom 10.

SMALL FORWARD:  14th - ( 15th offensive - 6th defensive ) . . . When Thabo was healthy, he was still a guy who could limit the production of the other guy.  Prince's emergence as a decent backup, then starter, helped elevate this group to average status.  The defensive numbers are promising. )

POWER FORWARD:  16th - ( 11th offensive - 26th defensive ) . . . Millsap was one of the top 10 PFs in the league last season, but we didn't have an adequate backup to him.  Humphries is listed as his backup, and he barely played.  The low defensive efficiency on that side of the ball is alarming, but not surprising.  Millsap can't guard everybody, and the defense definitely fell off of a cliff when he left the game.

CENTER:  4th - ( 12th offensive - 2nd defensive ). . .  This is the Dwight Effect.  Despite the reduction of the role of centers, you still can't let your opponent get the best of you.  The ability to wipe out the production from the opposing center, was huge on a team that routinely lost their matchup at other positions.

BACKCOURT:  25th - ( 20th offensive - 24th defensive )

FRONTCOURT:  8th - ( 13th offensive - 4th defensive )

STARTERS: 19th - ( 17th offense - 17th defense )

BENCH:  18th - ( 21st offense - 6th defense )

OVERALL: 19th - ( 2nd worst amongst all playoff teams.  Only Portland was worse )

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thomas said:

Elton had that reputation of a good locker room teammate and a helpful coach on the floor. We can only dream about that coming from Dwight. Still we can use those boards on both ends of the court and hope Dwight doesn't get bated by the media so often. His mouth is one of his biggest enemies. 

That is true.

9 hours ago, AHF said:

Yeah, I don't see the comparison to Brand as far as role with the team.  

I'm just talking his attitude. He was selfless during his time with the Hawks, did whatever was asked despite being an out of prime former no. 1. Although his minutes dropped during his last season with the Hawks, he was in the huddle pumping the boys up. Basically saying, Brand contributed regardless his role on the Hawks. He didn't need posts up. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

I'm just talking his attitude. He was selfless during his time with the Hawks, did whatever was asked despite being an out of prime former no. 1. Although his minutes dropped during his last season with the Hawks, he was in the huddle pumping the boys up. Basically saying, Brand contributed regardless his role on the Hawks. He didn't need posts up. 

He was like the 10th man on the team.  I get the attitude was positive but he is more comparable to Moose than Dwight.

• Like 1