• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk latest Q&A makes me believe him and Bud are on the same page

JTB

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/and-schlenk-says-hawks-plan-invest-the-future/BtQjVpZ1EROizTQU908mUP/

after reading this I have a gut feeling Schlenk and Bud are on the same page now opposed to how I first felt about them as a pair. The mentioning of player development and believing in it sounds legit from Schlenk in my opinion. It seems like Schlenk has looked this whole thing over and is extremely convinced about Hawks university. Of course this is just my speculation but it seems like Schlenk has convinced everyone that the team should go extremely young being that the player development has been so good here under bud and his staff.

some believe that bud not speaking to the media means he's out the door soon. Personally I believe that's silly as hell and that we just got used to hearing from bud because he was the president of the team and all decisions came down to him and he just happened to be the spokesperson for Hawks since everyone knew he was in charge of the roster...but he wanted to get back to focusing on being a coach as he told the public therefore he stepped down. Perhaps he also wanted to make sure he put full focus on these young players  therefore let Schlenk be the face of the media for the organization so he could make this young team as competitive as possible.

bud is focused on other things more important than addressing the media. He had a lot on his plate and now he's getting back to what he's best at and that's being a top 5 coach. So you ask where is bud? Buds somewhere getting his coaching staff in order to help develop these damn kids. The hell with speaking out to the media.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

It's really hard to come to any firm conclusions when (a) Schlenk has already repeatedly shown himself prone to take liberties with the truth and (b) Bud doesn't talk. At all.

That combination, at minimum, justifies suspicion that Bud feels uncertain how much he can trust the people who he answers to. Suspicion, of course, not confirmation.

I've said from the beginning, if Bud would only so much as say, "I really like where we're headed," it would seriously challenge the suspicion. But of course that hasn't happened, nor anything close to it.

So, does it surprise me that Schlenk would talk like he does in C-Viv's softball session? Not at all. It's pretty much how he's talked all along, except each time he creeps a little closer to the tanking model that the cynics long ago charged him with covertly embracing.

Only Bud's on-the-record comments can debunk the suspicions to any degree, from where I sit.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

It's really hard to come to any firm conclusions when (a) Schlenk has already repeatedly shown himself prone to take liberties with the truth and (b) Bud doesn't talk. At all.

That combination, at minimum, justifies suspicion that Bud feels uncertain how much he can trust the people who he answers to. Suspicion, of course, not confirmation.

I've said from the beginning, if Bud would only so much as say, "I really like where we're headed," it would seriously challenge the suspicion. But of course that hasn't happened, nor anything close to it.

So, does it surprise me that Schlenk would talk like he does in C-Viv's softball session? Not at all. It's pretty much how he's talked all along, except each time he creeps a little closer to the tanking model that the cynics long ago charged him with covertly embracing.

Only Bud's on-the-record comments can debunk the suspicions to any degree, from where I sit.

Gotcha and I understand. You like many probably find it weird bud hasn't said anything since Schlenk was hired to this point not even about our new rookies at that...that I'm aware of. 

Definitely understand the suspicion! But I also believe bud has put focus on other areas and it seems to be an agreement that Schlenk addresses the media for the team.

ive heard a countless number of times including times this year that bud is a top 10 coach in most book. I'd be shocked if there was a plan to replace him. It's not only true that bud is top 10 but it's also very real that there's not a better coach on the market and likely won't be.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JTB said:

I'd be shocked if there was a plan to replace him.

Me too.

What wouldn't shock me is if he takes the first contender job offered to him.

Coaches almost never survive a rebuild. We all realize that that's just the history, and I can't imagine that that's lost on Bud. At some point expectations exceed results, typically, and the guy who nurtured the young players gives way to someone else.

35 minutes ago, sturt said:

We're going to be fun and young and we're going to play hard and compete and be young and competitive in how hard we play and fun and young and then in the future, future's, future ...

Code isn't that hard to break.

Also, don't ignore this gem:

"We have probably five more first-round picks over the next two years to add to this group."

25 minutes ago, sturt said:

Coaches almost never survive a rebuild. We all realize that that's just the history, and I can't imagine that that's lost on Bud. At some point expectations exceed results, typically, and the guy who nurtured the young players gives way to someone else.

Why the *almost*?

Can anyone think of a guy who actually did survive a ___________ (tank, rebuild, whichever word you're most comfy with)?

Edited by ATLBob
OG was unclear
  • Like 1

Well if all goes to plan...:angel:

this rebuild (excuse me retool) won't take any longer than maybe 2-3 years which isn't bad. I mean for that to happen we are going to need a couple of these young guys to blossom into all star reserves really fast. Probably Dennis, Prince or Dennis, Collins.

i think bud will stay as long as he sees a competitive team coming about but again we need to see 2 of these young guys become all star reserves as fast as possible . If we don't he decides atl is no longer for him well then hopefully slinky leaves with him if it gets to that point. 

Let me add if slinky fires bud or bud leaves ...Travis Slinky Schlenk will be in my opinion the most hated person in Atlanta Hawks history. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JTB said:

Gotcha and I understand. You like many probably find it weird bud hasn't said anything since Schlenk was hired to this point not even about our new rookies at that...that I'm aware of. 

Definitely understand the suspicion! But I also believe bud has put focus on other areas and it seems to be an agreement that Schlenk addresses the media for the team.

ive heard a countless number of times including times this year that bud is a top 10 coach in most book. I'd be shocked if there was a plan to replace him. It's not only true that bud is top 10 but it's also very real that there's not a better coach on the market and likely won't be.

There may not be an overt plan to replace him, but ownership is not going to be as patient just like the fans who are pro tanking are not going to be as patient as they should be considering how long it is going to take to build this thing.  Because of ownership's lack of patience though, Bud's gone if he has 3, maybe just 2, losing seasons through this.   By the time we get to year 5 of losing, Travis Schlenk will be on the hot seat.   Really, the only possible way that both survive is if both convinced Tony Ressler that this would be a 5-7 year process and to be patient till they get to the end game of this foolish process.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JTB said:

Let me add if slinky fires bud or bud leaves ...Travis Slinky Schlenk will be in my opinion the most hated person in Atlanta Hawks history. 

This is exactly how Falcon fans felt when Mike Smith was fired! Everyone wanted TD fired as well.  2 years later, it is obvious that it was the right decision.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, JTB said:

i think bud will stay as long as he sees a competitive team coming about

I think that's unicorns, puppy dogs and rainbows talk. Bottom line, Bud has to be made to feel he's still an integral part of the decision-making apparatus, and not "just the head coach," for there to be any hope he doesn't leave at his first opportunity to coach a playoff team.

I've been hesitant to reach the conclusion, but as this silence lingers on, it strongly suggests this has been one of the most humiliating events of his career and/or he knows he can't speak without some of his disdain for the situation leaking through.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Eric Spoelstra

Carlisle will probably keep his too. Can't blame the Mavs win/loss record on his coaching. 

Im not expecting Bud to leave unless he genuinely wants to. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is exactly how Falcon fans felt when Mike Smith was fired! Everyone wanted TD fired as well.  2 years later, it is obvious that it was the right decision.

Most Falcons fans thought Smith needed to go at the time. He had the worst clock management in the league and the team failed to show up at home with the division and the playoffs on the line. People wanted TD fired for his player decisions. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sturt said:

I think that's unicorns, puppy dogs and rainbows talk. Bottom line, Bud has to be made to feel he's still an integral part of the decision-making apparatus, and not "just the head coach," for there to be any hope he doesn't leave at his first opportunity to coach a playoff team.

I've been hesitant to reach the conclusion, but as this silence lingers on, it strongly suggests this has been one of the most humiliating events of his career and/or he knows he can't speak without some of his disdain for the situation leaking through.

I believe you are correct.  I think they have humiliated him.  Whether he is not speaking because it would difficult for his to hide his displeasure or because Ressler/Schlenk have imposed a gag order on him, I don't know.  If I were Bud, I would resign and let them find someone else to fix this mess with.

Edited by Watchman