• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk latest Q&A makes me believe him and Bud are on the same page

JTB

6 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

And he survived the rebuild.  

He survived because they didn't try to build solely around youth and draft picks.  Boston acquired productive, under valued veterans on good contracts.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JTB said:

Let me add if slinky fires bud or bud leaves ...Travis Slinky Schlenk will be in my opinion the most hated person in Atlanta Hawks history. 

Well I won't go quite that far. Even with the Travis-ty of Bud's departure, the Slinkster won't be asking this Bitter Beerface to Hold His Beer.

090217petebabcock.jpg

But he'd be right up there!

dominique-wilkins.jpg

~lw3

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The Sixers still have the same coach, right?  It isn't impossible for Bud to survive however I find it far more likely if Pops retires while we're rebuilding that Bud bolts to the Spurs.

Wouldn't blame him one bit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The Sixers still have the same coach, right?  It isn't impossible for Bud to survive however I find it far more likely if Pops retires while we're rebuilding that Bud bolts to the Spurs.

Brett Brown was hired for season one of the tank fest and is still the coach, so this is a pretty good take.

Hinkie was forced out though as GM, so it's not like it's been bloodless.

Edited by ATLBob
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

We can argue the definition of "survived the rebuild," but regardless, Stevens situation is not equivalent to Bud's.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

As did Jerry Sloan after the Jazz rebuilt following the retirement/departures of Karl Malone and John Stockton.

BTW - The Jazz dipped down into the 26 win territory during that rebuild allowing them to draft Deron Williams and win 51 games two seasons later.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Honestly, I think Sloan might be the only one. Been racking my brain and quizzing basketball-reference for 15 minutes, and can't see anyone who endured good to bad to good.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

He survived because they didn't try to build solely around youth and draft picks.  Boston acquired productive, under valued veterans on good contracts.

Who says we're not going to do that? I think that's our plan.

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/28/orlando-magic-need-patience-in-post-dwight-howard-youth-movement

“Are we taking a step back? Absolutely, we are. But we’re taking a step back with a vision.”

The risk lies with development and patience: How rapidly will those players reach their promise, and how long are you willing to wait before  writing them off? Three seasons? Five? Longer?

Read the article and soak it in, because this is the most likely outcome of the Hawks decision to "bottom out".

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/28/orlando-magic-need-patience-in-post-dwight-howard-youth-movement

Read the article and soak it in, because this is the most likely outcome of the Hawks decision to "bottom out".

So, that, in Column A of the ledger... then, scribble in whatever you want to scribble in to Column B...

In either case, the most likely outcome is something unacceptable.

There is no easy answer here. There is no absolutely-superior answer here. Luck is too much of a variable in the equation. You're in competition with 29 others who all want the same thing, and among those who aren't top tier, themselves also are trying to varying degrees either a re-build or a re-model, and who themselves are trying to varying degrees to work and develop the horses in their stables.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If the Hawks management is as incompetent as the Magic's management has been.

The difference between the Magic and championship teams is management.  Those are the extremes of the spectrum.

The most likely outcome is more like the Hawks - landing enough talent to get back in the playoffs but not enough to contend.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

If the Hawks management is as incompetent as the Magic's management has been.

The difference between the Magic and championship teams is management.  Those are the extremes of the spectrum.

It's not so much incompetence as it is the nature of trying to build through the lottery considering what is being drafted in the lottery.  Rob Henigan was a part of that OKC front office that is lauded for their ability to get Durant, Westbrook, and Harden in successive drafts. 

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

It's not so much incompetence as it is the nature of trying to build through the lottery considering what is being drafted in the lottery.  Rob Henigan was a part of that OKC front office that is lauded for their ability to get Durant, Westbrook, and Harden in successive drafts. 

And he has sucked brutally as Magic GM.  Even outside of the draft, trades don't get much worse than that Ibaka debacle.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

As did Jerry Sloan after the Jazz rebuilt following the retirement/departures of Karl Malone and John Stockton.

BTW - The Jazz dipped down into the 26 win territory during that rebuild allowing them to draft Deron Williams and win 51 games two seasons later.

Hard to fire Jerry Sloan.  He just quit when he'd had enough Deron.

• Moderators

Most coaches in general don't last long enough in one place to be good, go into a rebuild and then emerge from the other side.  Here is a 2014 article showing all the turnover at that time and pointing out the average tenure for an NBA head coach is 2.4 years and then he is out.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/5/7/5690420/nba-head-coach-turnover-mark-jackson-fired-warriors

Coach-survival-rate_medium

Since 2014, 4 of the "most tenured" list are out as well.

Its too early to tell if the Hawks are actually "tanking". Really, this offseason won't be enough for me to tell, I will need to see a season or at least half, no matter how bad.

To keep it short and simple, if the Hawks sign some undervalued FAs (like Willie Reed for example), don't sit anyone for longer than necessary if there are injuries, and let Bud try to coach up the team to win, it's rebuilding. If the Hawks sign nobody/vets that aren't good/players from the G league, sit anyone that is injured for longer than necessary, or sit guys that are healthy it is tanking.

Either way, there will at least be one bad season in the range of 25-30 wins at most. After that, I don't know...and I do agree if it's total tank mode it will probably take 5 years. If it's the middle than it will be less.

• Like 1