After much thought....this just might work.

thecampster

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

A guy that can shoot the ball is not a player that I cringe every time he shoots.

That's one way of measuring it.

Another is to actually look at stats.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

SUMMER LEAGUE...

Image result for head shake gif

My bad, didn't realize they make you slow down your speed between the SL and regular season. Duly noted...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19134-1408923825-6.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

My bad, didn't realize they make you slow down your speed between the SL and regular season. Duly noted...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19134-1408923825-6.

"Yo rook! You better THROTTLE that speed, you in the big leagues now bwah! Dafuq you think this is, Summer League?"

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

That's one way of measuring it.

Another is to actually look at stats.

Actually watching games is better than watching box scores... Numbers do lie.  A lot of Schröder's points comes off layups and free throws, yet he insists on jacking up threes at 34%. He is a wildly inefficient player and doesn't fit Bud ball.

I honestly like this roster a lot more than last years... I can't remember the last time I disliked a roster of one of my teams as much.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Gives us one cat at all five positions with a three pointer with the way Bud will play them.

Just what I was thinking, in fact that 5 may see a lot of minutes together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Actually watching games is better than watching box scores... Numbers do lie.  A lot of Schröder's points comes off layups and free throws, yet he insists on jacking up threes at 34%. He is a wildly inefficient player and doesn't fit Bud ball.

I honestly like this roster a lot more than last years... I can't remember the last time I disliked a roster of one of my teams as much.

I withhold judgement on Schröder until the offense can actually run the way Bud wants it to. In theory this would result in better 3pt looks for everyone. Let's just face it with Dwight in the post the Hawks had to get away from Budball almost the duration of time he was on the floor. Now they have the ability to put on the floor players at all 5 positions that actually are at least somewhat of a threat from further than 15 feet.

• Like 3

Just now, turnermx said:

I withhold judgement on Schröder until the offense can actually run the way Bud wants it to. In theory this would result in better 3pt looks for everyone.

Thinking Jent may be the needed guy for Dennis, Bembry and Prince with their three point shooting. Should put our two roster rookies on that list too I'm sure. Will be interesting to see them develop.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, turnermx said:

I withhold judgement on Schröder until the offense can actually run the way Bud wants it to. In theory this would result in better 3pt looks for everyone. Let's just face it with Dwight in the post the Hawks had to get away from Budball almost the duration of time he was on the floor. Now they have the ability to put on the floor players that actually are at least somewhat of a threat from further than 15 feet.

I agree that Dwight didn't work out, but what makes Dwight work is Bud ball.  Dwight in the paint with sharp shooters all around him... Problem is that we didn't have not one player that could consistently shoot the ball last season.  Schröder, Bazemore, and Hardaway are slasher/scoring guards.  Heck, Millsap was better attacking the hoop than shooting.  We needed Dwight here when Korver was hitting a three on the nightly basis and Horford consistently hitting shots as his PF.  The Dwight failure was a total organizational failure.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
I agree that Dwight didn't work out, but what makes Dwight work is Bud ball.  Dwight in the paint with sharp shooters all around him... Problem is that we didn't have not one player that could consistently shoot the ball last season.  Schröder, Bazemore, and Hardaway are slasher/scoring guards.  Heck, Millsap was better attacking the hoop than shooting.  We needed Dwight here when Korver was hitting a three on the nightly basis and Horford consistently hitting shots as his PF.  The Dwight failure was a total organizational failure.

I agree with that, Horford would have been an ideal pairing with Dwight. I think Bud gambled that Al would come back and lost. However, I don't blame the organization for Dwight stubbornly refusing to adapt his game to a style without Horford, he didn't do much at all for Pick and Roll as a glaring example, and a lot of times on offense instead would just stand around not even involved

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You realize you're responding to a discussion we were having about the speed of John Collins vs Paul Millsap, right? Not the level-of-competition between SL and regular season or how Gaze dropped off.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, turnermx said:

I agree with that, Horford would have been an ideal pairing with Dwight. I think Bud gambled that Al would come back and lost. However, I don't blame the organization for Dwight stubbornly refusing to adapt his game to a style without Horford, he didn't do much at all for Pick and Roll as a glaring example, and a lot of times on offense instead would just stand around not even involved

Dwight's biggest problem is he still feels like a star and a force on offense in a league that doesn't value the center position anymore.  The modern-day center either is a stretch 5 or a face to fill a space.  The Shaq and Dwight-type of centers are old news.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

but what makes Dwight work is Bud ball

Think that may be SVG ball instead because Bud has always preached getting back on D and not crashing the offense glass so much. A big part of our failure against the Cavs in the playoffs two years in a row. Oh those playoff memories. Believe Dwight came here without Bud 100% onboard with it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, hazer said:

You realize you're responding to a discussion we were having about the speed of John Collins vs Paul Millsap, right? Not the level-of-competition between SL and regular season or how Gaze dropped off.

My response is about how people can be fooled by Summer League play.  When you play against inferior competition, it's easy to look Great.  Hell, Baze did look like Michael Jordan.  That's because it's inferior competition, there's no system of offense or defense.  Hell, Baze looked better than Draymond.  However, after that SL, Baze played for GS and looked like a Bench player.    So we have a lot of guys praising Collins because he got some dunks in Summer League.   It's the Baze/Glover effect. Inferior competition, no set offense or defense.   However, when the season starts, he won't have these guys who are trying to make the team on the floor.  He will be playing against Hardened PROS who know the game... His graceful dunks will become CLUMSY moments.  Just ask Bembry.  Just ask Bebe.  These guys also looked good in Summer League.  BUT It's summer League. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

My response is about how people can be fooled by Summer League play.  When you play against inferior competition, it's easy to look Great.  Hell, Baze did look like Michael Jordan.  That's because it's inferior competition, there's no system of offense or defense.  Hell, Baze looked better than Draymond.  However, after that SL, Baze played for GS and looked like a Bench player.    So we have a lot of guys praising Collins because he got some dunks in Summer League.   It's the Baze/Glover effect. Inferior competition, no set offense or defense.   However, when the season starts, he won't have these guys who are trying to make the team on the floor.  He will be playing against Hardened PROS who know the game... His graceful dunks will become CLUMSY moments.  Just ask Bembry.  Just ask Bebe.  These guys also looked good in Summer League.  BUT It's summer League. 

So you didn't actually pay attention to my post then, because we're talking about completely separate things. The vid clip I posted was about Collins' speed, and how quickly he moved from The logo to the rim, as a response to @sturt (or was it @Sothron) stating that Collins wasn't faster than Millsap. We all understand SL isn't regular season. Most of us also understand that speed, BBIQ, and leaping ability has nothing to do with SL. You're trying to tell me something I already know, that has nothing to do with the conversation I was having. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, hazer said:

So you didn't actually pay attention to my post then, because we're talking about completely separate things. The vid clip I posted was about Collins' speed, and how quickly he moved from The logo to the rim, as a response to @sturt (or was it @Sothron) stating that Collins wasn't faster than Millsap. We all understand SL isn't regular season. Most of us also understand that speed, BBIQ, and leaping ability has nothing to do with SL. You're trying to tell me something I already know, that has nothing to do with the conversation I was having. 

That was me. I don't think Collins is faster than Millsap. I don't want to start another SL vs real games debate again though which is where this thread is going.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

That was me. I don't think Collins is faster than Millsap. I don't want to start another SL vs real games debate again though which is where this thread is going.

Eeeeeeegzackly. Except that speed part ;)

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, hazer said:

zrk2od.jpg

Hazer... what GOOD is a comparison when you have one guy playing against future truck drivers and another guy playing against Hall of famers?  Your Context is SHIT because the argument is dumb.