• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are you looking for in filling the two remaining roster slots? Give the Colonel your wisdom here.

sturt

• Premium Member

He acknowledged days ago that there is going to be a 3rd PG signed, and another big, and that there'd been some internal debate about whether they should focus on vets or young players--at least, specifically where the PG is concerned, but plausibly (given what Woj has reported about the pursuit of Speights) also where the frontcourt player is concerned.

Anyone who's given any attention to what I've written the last week knows where I come down on the topic... I see no good purpose served in signing vets if, in fact, there are players out there that, in Schlenk's judgment, profile as being develop-able into long-term rotation players.

At PG, I see Kevin Pangos (our 2016 SL PG, and a 40+% 3pt shooter), Demetrius Jackson (Boston's 2nd rounder from last year recently cut), and seemingly Quinn Cook (reportedly a likely cut soon from NOP's roster) as being good options. I'm also tempted by the prospect of Nicolas Brussino (just cut by DAL) who Carlisle considered a point guard though in a SF body. Then, Taurean cast a twitter vote for the CMU kid, Marcus Steele, who goes to the other extreme, and plausibly gives us a 5-10-ish asset especially on offense.

Among the bigs, I'd be okay with James Michael McAdoo (former GSW) because he's still 24. He's not a high ceiling player, by virtue of the evidence, but he could carve out for himself a role nonetheless. And for your 14th or 15th player, that's not a criticism.

But I'm biggest on Stephen Zimmerman (ORL 2nd rounder who was released) because he's only going to be 21 when the season starts. There's clear upside there, in my scouting novice opinion. I want to see what that kid can make of himself, and I really think he can make something of himself if he's in a system like Bud's.

Having said all of that, others of you appear to still be clinging to the idea that we should be looking for vets to fill one or both slots, ostensibly out of consideration of the "leadership" intangible. Right now, I don't see anyone out there who impresses me on that front so much so that their talent pushes aside the organizational orientation right now toward focusing on contending years from now, and not immediately.

But I'm willing to listen, if I'm missing something.

• Premium Member

Not bothering to copy the link, but C-Viv tweets that we should expect a PG to be the final addition.

There was a time not very long ago that I would have reacted that that must mean we're adding a big.

Now, I'm merely not sure either way. Even in this new revelation this afternoon and the Brussino signing, one could argue that what C-Viv was told (adding a PG and a big) and what actually happened (added a wing) were two different things.

• Premium Member

Actually, on second thought, C-Viv indicated that HQ would be working toward the PG thing as-of Monday.

Coincidence that Quinn Cook (NOP, and who we couldn't stop in Summer League) has a contract deadline on 7/25?

He is the 4th PG on their roster right now, having drafted Frank Jackson and signed Rondo. Yes, Jrue will play some 2, but it would be surprising if those three aren't taking all of the PG minutes on that roster this season.

So the Slink says he wants another point guard and a big to fill out the roster?

If that's the case then expect two wing players or something completely random because the joke of a GM is a stone cold liar.

Actually Brussino can fill alot of needs and is a PG in a BIG body who can also shoot. Developed correctly he can be a very versatile player on the floor and a nice backup/3rd stringer playing the point forward role. If we really develop him he could be another sneaky good pick and fit for us down the road.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sillent said:

Actually Brussino can fill alot of needs and is a PG in a BIG body who can also shoot. Developed correctly he can be a very versatile player on the floor and a nice backup/3rd stringer playing the point forward role. If we really develop him he could be another sneaky good pick and fit for us down the road.

Remains to be seen what he becomes, but it's not all that common that 6-8 guys are talked up by coaches as being capable of playing the point. But looking at his 82games numbers, that's a matter of future development, and not yet something that has come to fruition.

I will remain skeptical that C-Viv is correct about pursuing another PG until it happens, simply b/c I'm suspicious that Hawks HQ has had this move on their radar for quite awhile, just waiting out DAL, and that maybe just maybe Schlenk was being truthful when he reportedly told C-Viv that the last two slots will go to a PG and a big... Brussino indeed could have been the PG Schlenk had in-mind.

My inclination for now is that this phrase we've begun to hear "secondary ball-handler" is going to grow to become part of our normal vocabulary, and that Brussino will get a chance to occupy that 3rd PG slot, but so will Bembry and maybe Dorsey and maybe Baze, too... but/and the "3rd PG" will essentially be the most skilled ball-handler of the wings on the team.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sturt said:

Remains to be seen what he becomes, but it's not all that common that 6-8 guys are talked up by coaches as being capable of playing the point. But looking at his 82games numbers, that's a matter of future development, and not yet something that has come to fruition.

I will remain skeptical that C-Viv is correct about pursuing another PG until it happens, simply b/c I'm suspicious that Hawks HQ has had this move on their radar for quite awhile, just waiting out DAL, and that maybe just maybe Schlenk was being truthful when he reportedly told C-Viv that the last two slots will go to a PG and a big... Brussino indeed could have been the PG Schlenk had in-mind.

My inclination for now is that this phrase we've begun to hear "secondary ball-handler" is going to grow to become part of our normal vocabulary, and that Brussino will get a chance to occupy that 3rd PG slot, but so will Bembry and maybe Dorsey and maybe Baze, too... but/and the "3rd PG" will essentially be the most skilled ball-handler of the wings on the team.

Josh Magette is possibly the 3rd PG. If so there will be a huge Atlanta University camp this year and alot of vitamins to take.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sillent said:

Josh Magette is possibly the 3rd PG. If so there will be a huge Atlanta University camp this year and alot of vitamins to take.  

What was reported was him signing a two-way. I'm suspicious at this point about that report b/c it didn't come from any of the common sources (insofar as I ever saw), and to my knowledge has yet to be announced officially by the ream--though many teams already have been making those announcements.

• Premium Member
Just now, sturt said:

What was reported was him signing a two-way. I'm suspicious at this point about that report b/c it didn't come from any of the common sources (insofar as I ever saw), and to my knowledge has yet to be announced officially by the ream--though many teams already have been making those announcements.

I hope you are right..Magette stinks

• Premium Member

At the top of my wishlist as we start into the last days of the NBA shopping season, aka literal "Christmas in July," filling the 15th big-team slot (assuming FA, no trade):

Stephen Zimmerman (C, youngest FA on the market at age 21, drafted last summer by ORL, but was let go)

I've warmed to this idea that the priority needs to be congruent with the proverbial BPA mantra... that is, we're in a re-build environment where your focus is on finding players you can develop into higher-value assets for future deals (buy low, sell high), or as enduring assets for the team when it becomes a contender again, and concurrently... we're in a new CBA environment where we have not one but two additional roster slots, albeit, with limited availability.

My novice scouting opinion is that Zimmerman is too young and too skilled to ignore.

Then, what about the 3rd PG?

So, as asserted before in this same thread... now that you have all of these "secondary ball handlers" who have ran the point at one time or another in their young careers, I say just be content to sign the best PG that you can to a 2-way contract.

And also as said previously... I'm not real confident at this point in the reports that have us locked-in to Magette.

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm strongly suspicious that all we actually did was get him to commit to our SL roster, pledging consideration for a 2-way depending on how that went.

Guessing Schlenk may be thinking of a three point shooter. Babbit off the bench at SF has shot 40% for his career and won't cost much of anything and Afflalo shoots like that as well though he is more of a SG than a sizable swing, just the same since no one is paying attention to him we could check on him as he would help our overall three point percentage. Both would no matter how few minutes they play. Still remains to be seen what does or does not happen at PG, never can tell how serious to take our GM's quips. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't want a vet, me. Vets are a waste of time and money, imo, at least for this year. If you could get someone you knew you'd be able to depend on 3-4 years from now for a serious role, then okay, but that would be a trade acquisition--there is no young free agent out there worthy of a 3 year contract at this point, with arguably the exception of Noel who clearly by now it's obvious we're passing on.

• Premium Member

Okay, here's this...

Kinda thought they might hold on to him, and just wait to see if Jackson (1st rd pick) developed to be someone they could depend on.

I don't think he makes it through waivers to our slot, but if he does, I for one would have to feel good to see Schlenk pick him up.

2017-07-25_1153.png

• Premium Member

Occurs to me, there's a fairly stout argument that says you don't even fill that 15th slot, nor the other 2-way slot.

Rather, you leave them both open, get the best 5 candidates you can to come to training camp, and let it all be decided then.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Occurs to me, there's a fairly stout argument that says you don't even fill that 15th slot, nor the other 2-way slot.

Rather, you leave them both open, get the best 5 candidates you can to come to training camp, and let it all be decided then.

Only if you think the guy you can sign today won't be significantly better than the 5 guys you will bring to training camp.  If you think the guys available today are better than what you would find in training camp, you absolutely sign that 15th today and then cut that person if it ends up being wrong.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Only if you think the guy you can sign today won't be significantly better than the 5 guys you will bring to training camp.

True... or even more salient to your point, "better than the 5 guys you think you'll be able to attract  to your training camp."