• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did the Hawks mess up?

TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

The two teams that competed with the Hawks for Baze were Houston (D'Antoni) and Brooklyn (Atkinson) so I'd say his impressionable persona also helped in those situations.

Not so fast...

IF you recall, the market for Baze was hot and he was expected to get as much as 20 Million per year.. and it was more than Just Brooklyn and Houston.  Memphis, Milwaukee, and New Orleans were also interested.   Houston was just the first to make an offer. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Bazemore also had a knee injury and was better after he took a few days off early in the season:

43.4% FG/37.3% 3PT/67.7% FT (ROS stats after that early two day inactive period)

Not much worse than 2015-2016 at all...especially considering here's how Bazemore's stats look like after his hot start in 15/16...

Last Half of the Season:

41.9% FG/30.5% 3PT/77% FT

Things that make you go HMMMMM? So Teague actually WASN'T helping good ole' Baze as much, HUH?

#everyonehasstupidagendas

A 43-45% FG, 36-38% 3PT, mid 70s FT player is probably what Baze is...and is that worth 70 million? I don't think so.

Well, I would say that Horf would have made just as big a difference as Teague. 

• Moderators

Last offseason the market for everyone was hot.  Baze got a big deal for the same that Evan Turner, Timothy Mozgov, and many others got vastly overpaid:  teams had a ton of money to spend and felt the need to spend it.  Now all these teams have buyer's remorse and wish they could walk those deals back.  (Even Houston is trying to ditch one of its high profile signings right now and struggling to figure out any way to get that done since no one wants Ryan Anderson like no one wants Baze).

That crazy spending doesn't make those players worthless (some of them are just worthless because they suck), and a guy like Baze definitely isn't worthless.  He is a role player, 7th man sort of guy on a decent team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hazer said:

I've been here for a decade and am always around. I don't disappear for long stretches of time like some ;)

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Let's see...  A decade... that's about how long our playoffs streak has been.  Excuse me if I don't recognize the strength of your fan tenacity.. because honestly.. if it's only been a decade, it hasn't been tested. 

While you question my tenacity, I'll just say... AccessAtlanta... and we'll close shop there. 

Fan since 1980, HS member for a decade...

54 minutes ago, hazer said:

Either you're slow, have the worst reading comprehension I've ever encountered, or are deliberately obtuse. Speaking of moving the goalposts, when you re-read my post you'll realize that I've been a "fan" since 1980, but a member of the Hawksquawk for a decade. I see what ya did there, nice try.

NVM, the post I was referring to was in another thread...

27 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well, I would say that Horf would have made just as big a difference as Teague. 

Even bigger... Baze would have not been any better if he was running alongside Teague last year because one...he was injured and two...he needs the floor spaced out or he just won't be good.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

While you question my tenacity, I'll just say... AccessAtlanta... and we'll close shop there. 

Well that explains a lot. About AccessAtlanta :dry:

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Let's see...  A decade... that's about how long our playoffs streak has been.  Excuse me if I don't recognize the strength of your fan tenacity.. because honestly.. if it's only been a decade, it hasn't been tested. 

I was there too. lol 

I think I was Hawkamanic on that board. Long ass time ago!

So for today and possibly for today only the intensity of a Hawk's fan loyalty depends on their consistency of posting on a fan forum such as this one or any other site. Would say thats good to know but its not, its complete BS.  Imagine that quite a few season ticket holders don't know the existence of or care to post to a forum in the first place. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So for today and possibly for today only the intensity of a Hawk's fan loyalty depends on their consistency of posting on a fan forum such as this one or any other site. Would say thats good to know but its not, its complete BS.  Imagine that quite a few season ticket holders don't know the existence of or care to post to a forum in the first place. 

It's just a measure.  I call it fan tenacity.  Fan Loyalty is a little different.   However, it's not about just consistency of posting, it's will you remain a fan through the bad years.   Some of us have been fans through the bad years and the only measure we have to observe that loyalty is that we show up on Hawksquawk.  I believe that all members of Hawksquawk would be season ticket holders if they could so that's moot.  However, the simplest measure is will you still show up when we're 17-65.   Will you still have enough love to post when we've had 5 seasons of below .500 basketball.   This is as close to a Season ticket holder count as we can get and I would say it's a better measure because there are fewer factors that contribute.  

• Like 2

Cavs aren't losing Kyrie for nothing, they will get sufficient assets. As it stands: the Celts, Raptors, Wizs, and 76ers are the obstacle teams for the Hawks in the future. Raps and Wiz will slowly decline. 

The team is in good/great position: likely picks in the mid tens, mid teens, and mid 20s. Once they figure a way to rid themselves of Baze and/or Plumlee, this team will have way more money, draft assets, current young developing assets to improve immensely. 

The Braves and Hawks have similar assets to their build. The Braves are really close to getting elite, hopefully the Hawks can get close too. 

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

It's just a measure.  I call it fan tenacity.  Fan Loyalty is a little different.   However, it's not about just consistency of posting, it's will you remain a fan through the bad years.   Some of us have been fans through the bad years and the only measure we have to observe that loyalty is that we show up on Hawksquawk.  I believe that all members of Hawksquawk would be season ticket holders if they could so that's moot.  However, the simplest measure is will you still show up when we're 17-65.   Will you still have enough love to post when we've had 5 seasons of below .500 basketball.   This is as close to a Season ticket holder count as we can get and I would say it's a better measure because there are fewer factors that contribute.  

Assuming you will indeed post, I personally will as well as I am not going away and apologize for my ignorance of this site's existence for so many years. Moved to Atlanta in '67, the Hawks moved in the next year and I have followed our Hawks for better or worse ever since. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Assuming you will indeed post, I personally will as well as I am not going away and apologize for my ignorance of this site for so many years. Moved to Atlanta in '67 and have followed our Hawks for better or worse ever since. 

I'm not crapping on the new guys... don't get me wrong.  I just know that there are some like Hots and Dol and Sturt and KB who have gone through a "rebuild" and continued to post.. and there are others that we can name who were there before the rebuild of AOL that later became BK that did not remain Hawks fans.
Honestly.. .when you want your team to win.... It's hard to find something likable about Sitting through a few seasons with Lon Kruger.. and watching us trade away Smitty and Deke.  It's hard to watch a player like Deke go to Philly and help anchor a championship run there and realize that we had more talent and couldn't get out of the second round.   It's hard to see us say we're getting back off the treadmill and see young fans say it's the best move.. when you know the last time you got off the treadmill, it took 10 years to get back on it

There's an ignorance about this franchise.   People think that we're like other NBA Franchises and we're NOT.  We don't draw FAs.  So our best bet is to lose well enough to get a top 3 pick... and develop them and make them like the team.   When BK rebuilt us, he brought in Smoove, Childress, Horf, and Marvin all together.  When it was time for them to reup..with the exception of Childress, they all felt a loyalty to stay.   With our collection of picks, we can't do like we have been doing and just drafting guys and throwing them away.  We have to build something that will make a guy like Collins want to stay..otherwise, we will be a perennial loser. 

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I've been a fan through the lean years, and will still be here posting if the Hawks have 10-win seasons. If I was still buying tickets in the 13-win season, no low win season is gonna keep me from posting.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Nobody ever needs to question someone's fandom on here.  None of us would be here if we weren't Hawks fans.  That should be a unifying factor - even when we disagree.

• Like 2