Did the Hawks mess up?

TheNorthCydeRises

No one could've predicted the Kyrie Irving news.  Many people thought the Cleveland Cavaliers would not only stay together, but be a force for the next 3 - 4 years in the East.

What people DIDN'T expect, is for about 1/2 of the East All-Star team to potentially end up in the Western Conference.  If Carmelo Anthony goes to Houston, that would make 5 of last year's East All-Stars that would now be in the West.  And if Kyrie gets his way, and goes to San Antonio or Minnesota, that will be 6 East All-Stars in the West next year.

If Lebron goes to the Lakers, ( if the loss of Kyrie turns the Cavs into a mid-level playoff squad ), that would make SEVEN.

So instead of the Cavs dominating the East for the next 4 years, we're now potentially looking at the East being with six 2017 All-Stars + Lebron, going into the 2018 - 19 sseason.

Meanwhile, the Hawks could've kept Dwight, re-signed Millsap to a reasonable length deal, matched Hardaway Jr's deal, plus add what looks like to be a young stud in Collins to bring off the bench.

PG - Schröder

G - Hardaway Jr

F - Prince

PF - Millsap

C - Howard

PG - Delaney ( ugh )

G - Bazemore

F - Bembry

PF - Collins

PF - Muscala

By the way, everyone with the exception of Delaney, would be on the roster going into the 2018 - 19 season.  Plus we'd still have the draft picks.

If the Hawks were able to draft a decent backup PG, or add a vet in free agency, how would this team rank in the East, with Lebron gone?

The sad thing about dismantling a team too quickly, is that you show your hand way too fast.   The Hawks had decided that they not only didn't want to pay Millsap, they simply wanted to start from scratch.  Four weeks later, it looks like we may have jumped the gun too quickly.

I don't think the Kyrie news changes anything. We were a barely .500 team that couldn't even make it out of the first round to worry about the Cavs. And the only difference this season would be us paying a lot more for the same players + a 19 year old rookie. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud didn't want Howard..why is this so hard to understand?

This thread isn't necessarily about Howard.  It's about the Hawks being in position in the immediate future to challenge for an East crown.  

My main beef with the Howard trade, is that we basically gave him away, plus draft position in the 2nd round.  With all of the dominoes that dropped in the last 2 weeks, maybe Howard could've been dealt for something better than what we received.

But forget Dwight.  I'm looking at the Hawks retaining Millsap ( an All-Star ), with the emergence of Dennis becoming All-Star level, and with the young talent on the team.   And if you keep Hardaway Jr, you're looking at the Hawks being right there with the rest of the East teams.  With Cleveland out of the picture, you're looking at a wide open Eastern Conference as soon as the 2018 season.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This thread isn't necessarily about Howard.  It's about the Hawks being in position in the immediate future to challenge for an East crown.  

My main beef with the Howard trade, is that we basically gave him away, plus draft position in the 2nd round.  With all of the dominoes that dropped in the last 2 weeks, maybe Howard could've been dealt for something better than what we received.

But forget Dwight.  I'm looking at the Hawks retaining Millsap ( an All-Star ), with the emergence of Dennis becoming All-Star level, and with the young talent on the team.   And if you keep Hardaway Jr, you're looking at the Hawks being right there with the rest of the East teams.  With Cleveland out of the picture, you're looking at a wide open Eastern Conference as soon as the 2018 season.

That team wouldn't have had a shot even without the Cavs.

Best case scenario would have still been ECF. Worst case we are on the treadmill for another 3-4 years. We had to do this eventually. And we don't know this for sure, but look at the teams with available cap space now. If Schlenk had waited to trade Howard, maybe those teams interested would have gone with the remaining FAs and there is no more market for Dwight. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So let me get this straight.. You think it was going to business as usual with Bud and Howard even thought it was obvious that Bud doesn't like playing the guy and was not investing anymore time with him. And do you really think that Hardaway is that kind of difference maker?

Well many may not like that we've had to have this roster turnover, but it was inevitable and it was time.  The treadmill shtick was getting old and so were the players on that treadmill.  Bud left this roster in disarray so I'm at least happy that we're collecting assets  (Picks) and flexibility (salary) to get younger and have options.  

The contract Hardaway got was NOT in any way good for what the Hawks want to do.  Kyrie asking for a trade wasn't going to be something the Hawks were in at any point anyway.  I'm excited to see where we go while being in purgatory with losing!

• Like 1

It makes no difference for the Hawks what if anything happens with the Kyrie situation.  For teams like Washington and Boston it could make a difference.  I doubt Kyrie is traded anyway.  Let's just say he is traded.  Well then it opens the door for other teams depending on what Cleveland got in return.  I don't see Gilbert wanting to all of a sudden turn bad.  I am assuming he would want veteran players who can help Cleveland this upcoming season.  Cleveland isn't simply fading away this season if Kyrie is dealt.  Knowing that the ultimate coward is leaving next summer I think Cleveland would throw all their chips in and try for one last hoorah.  

Just relax my friends, believe in the Movement. Let's not use our assets on Kyrie now. We'll be in a much better place two years from now, when he opts out of his contract. Then we attack and try to get him to sign with us. Then once Kyrie is signed then we use our assets to acquire a player like Klay Thompson. Trading for Kyrie now doesn't make sense because we would have to give up most of our assets to get him. Plus, we'd win more games which would mess up the tanking strategy and he would probably opt out in two years anyway. Lets waited out.

• Like 2

Did anyone think Golden State would win another title? Anything is possible if you believe and get the right breaks. Before the 1991season, did anyone believe the Braves were going to the World Series. In 1995, did anybody believe the Braves would win the world series. Things always change and nothing can stay the same forever.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TRW said:

Did anyone think Golden State would win another title? Anything is possible if you believe and get the right breaks. Before the 1991season, did anyone believe the Braves were going to the World Series. In 1995, did anybody believe the Braves would win the world series. Things always change and nothing can stay the same forever.

I became a Hawks fan in 1975. 

Vol4ever I was born in 1971 and I've been a georgia sports fan all my life. A bulldog, a hawk, a falcon, a brave, a flame, a chief, a thrasher, a knight, a dream and a glory. I've supported every team except for Tech. The Hawks had great ownership wth Ted in the 90s and we had a great run until we traded Dominique. We've had terrible ownership since then. Now we have a legitimate owner and a good front office. I like our chances to do something special. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So let me get this straight.. You think it was going to business as usual with Bud and Howard even thought it was obvious that Bud doesn't like playing the guy and was not investing anymore time with him. And do you really think that Hardaway is that kind of difference maker?

I think if you kept that team together for one more year, you'd get much better results.  Bud's problem is that he is slow to adjust / adapt to things.  He believes in his "system", so that's what he trusts.  That's why many of us won't be surprised if Ilyasova starts at PF over Collins, which would be a straight up travesty in my eyes.

They've torn down the entire team, and may be horrible for the next 3 years, even longer, if Dennis or someone else on the team doesn't develop into an All-Star talent.  I'm betting that Dennis takes the leap, and refuses to tank.  But if the pressure becomes too great for him, that could be a disaster for the Hawks.  Let's hope he's up for the challenge, and that the Hawks are forced to shut him down with a "mysterious injury" around the All-Star break, to stay in the lottery.