• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's just too bad that when there are questions, we SO can't depend on the local beat writer getting answers for us

sturt

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, sturt said:

So very sick of it, and today's mysterious event is just another reminder of how I miss AJC having guys who, at least, seem to like what they do and are invested enough, that they actually ask questions and report back that those questions were asked... and of course, the answers if any were given.

Who do we complain to over there? Anyone know? I don't want to see C-Viv lose his job assuming he has a family who depends on him, but it's not too much to expect a guy to grow and improve after this much time and this much slack has been cut.

Let's see..

Denberg?  Pasquerilla ?  Voisin? Jones?  Sekou?  

Who was your favorite??

• Premium Member

I have a favorite, but that's actually distracting to the point... no one has been THIS seemingly unmotivated to ask questions and keep us informed as to the status of getting answers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Let's see..

Denberg?  Pasquerilla ?  Voisin? Jones?  Sekou?  

Who was your favorite??

Sekou...

2 hours ago, Packfill said:

What was today's mysterious event?

The release of Diamond Stone?

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, DrReality said:

Not many answers to get to at this point.  

Right. So, how hard should it be to pursue just this one?

All I'm saying is that the reporter should ask, and if he doesn't get an answer, he should report that he asked and an answer wasn't forthcoming.

Why bother? Here's why bother.... bother because you know that us folks whose reading time is what translates into a paycheck for you want to know that the questions are being asked.... and if that's not enough, ask because the Hawks organization needs to be aware that they shouldn't presume that no one notices this stuff, but to the contrary, their most avid supporters expect them to be accountable for decisions they make... and if that's not enough, there's always the possibility you'll discover that the organization actually is willing to give you more answer than you thought they'd provide.

And if that's not enough? How about just for the integrity it shows that you care about your damn job to try to show you're doing it as well as you can do it?

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

Who is C-Viv's boss? I mean, really. I've had enough.

Maybe this person can help. or he could ignore your comments all together.

General Manager, Atlanta Journal-Constitution – Brian Cooper, 404-526-5123, bcooper@ajc.com

• Premium Member

Thanks, @Blunt91. Might be too far up the chain of command, though. Not sure. Then, I looked at the staff page, and inexplicably, they don't reveal who is the sports editor. Ah but Google didn't fail me.... eventually I found this, and unless I'm misinterpreting the job title, it seems to be what we used to call the "sports editor" position... now, the "sports content editor for print and digital"

http://www.ajc.com/sports/ray-cox/Gi8HgMINvaZLptDBxzN6NI/

Ray.Cox@ajc.com

If no satisfaction, Mr. Cooper is next on the list.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, sturt said:

Right. So, how hard should it be to pursue just this one?

All I'm saying is that the reporter should ask, and if he doesn't get an answer, he should report that he asked and an answer wasn't forthcoming.

Why bother? Here's why bother.... bother because you know that us folks whose reading time is what translates into a paycheck for you want to know that the questions are being asked.... and if that's not enough, ask because the Hawks organization needs to be aware that they shouldn't presume that no one notices this stuff, but to the contrary, their most avid supporters expect them to be accountable for decisions they make... and if that's not enough, there's always the possibility you'll discover that the organization actually is willing to give you more answer than you thought they'd provide.

And if that's not enough? How about just for the integrity it shows that you care about your damn job to try to show you're doing it as well as you can do it?

I'm a save you some despair Sturt.    A few years ago, we had another GM and we had a press that would put his feet to questions (in the person of Jeffrey Denberg and Alaine Voisin).   Babcock (the GM) would always offer an answer.  However, much like Schlenk, he would never be totally honest.   IN fact, sometimes it seemed like misdirection.   As far as accountability, Babcock was not held accountable mainly because he was smart enough to share blame with the coach and president.   We all know that Stan Kasten was off trying to figure out how to get into baseball when Babcock traded away Dominique.  Many people said that new coach Lenny was behind it but I have never seen a coach that is winning make a change that would effect the whole History of the team.   Moreover, when pressed about it, Babcock (with Kasten presence looming) said that we don't like our stars to get old on us. 

In Schlenk, I think you have the same type of GMing... misdirection all the time.   For tomorrow's history lesson, we will talk about the silence of Knight. 

I'd love a replacement for C-Viv.  The question to me is "Is there a market for good beat writers in the Atlanta area?" Maybe there just isn't a good replacement but I'd hope there's some young kid out there wanting to prove himself.  The good ones always move on to bigger and better, which is why we're still stuck with C-Viv.  The AJC needs to do something or nothing will happen here.

• Premium Member

Babcock (the GM) would always offer an answer.  However, much like Schlenk, he would never be totally honest.   IN fact, sometimes it seemed like misdirection.

Don't miss the point of the thread.

If that happens, and I fully acknowledge that it very well would since it already has to-some-degree occurred....

AT LEAST THE DAMN AJC EMPLOYEE DID HIS JOB, and could sleep that night with some integrity that he fulfilled his end of the bargain in exchange for getting paid.

THAT is the point of this thread.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

I'd love a replacement for C-Viv.  The question to me is "Is there a market for good beat writers in the Atlanta area?" Maybe there just isn't a good replacement but I'd hope there's some young kid out there wanting to prove himself.  The good ones always move on to bigger and better, which is why we're still stuck with C-Viv.  The AJC needs to do something or nothing will happen here.

It's hard to get bigger than a major city newspaper, though.

Yes, there are some better gigs, or we wouldn't have lost the guys we've lost, and on the other side of the equation, sports writing as a profession has changed in a substantial way with the advent of smaller and smaller newspaper staffs, and some newspapers even fading away totally. But there's been no loss (in my opinion) in the appetite for sports-oriented writing, just a new environment in terms of the venues where people go to satisfy their craving.

So, yes, why wouldn't you look at this point to the Macon and Savannah and Columbus media... and for that matter, why wouldn't you also look at this point to the Peachtree Hoops and Soaring Down South writers for possibilities?

Then again.... as said above, I'm not even necessarily interested in C-Viv being removed.... just BEING ACCOUNTABLE and ENGAGING MINDFULLY in his job CONSISTENTLY.

How hard can that be? And wouldn't he do that if he really thought his job depended on it?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

Don't miss the point of the thread.

If that happens, and I fully acknowledge that it very well would since it already has to-some-degree occurred....

AT LEAST THE DAMN AJC EMPLOYEE DID HIS JOB, and could sleep that night with some integrity that he fulfilled his end of the bargain in exchange for getting paid.

THAT is the point of this thread.

Well, when you think about CViv.  I think CViv was probably some guy who wanted to cover the lifestyle section of the paper and they made him a beat writer.  So he doesn't have it in him to be a true Sports Journalist.  I used to watch the Sports Reporters every Sunday.  Those guys were fans first and they would ASK the question... everytime.  And would write scathing commentary too.  I think when you have a CViv, he's not going to push any envelopes... I think he may feel like he should be happy to be in the room so he's not going to push an envelope.  He's satisfied sitting back waiting on Schlenk to contact him and tell him that he has a quote for him.  CViv is probably spending his days at the Garden Botanical enjoying his real passion and every now and then his twitter alert goes off telling him when something has happened with the Hawks.  It's sad really but this is the type of Journalist we have now.   Guys who are losing the fight to people with twitter blogs or who have started their own Sports reporting website. Yes, those with no credentials are more respected and work harder than those with Credentials.  Where is Jay Walker. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Well, when you think about CViv.  I think CViv was probably some guy who wanted to cover the lifestyle section of the paper and they made him a beat writer.  So he doesn't have it in him to be a true Sports Journalist.  I used to watch the Sports Reporters every Sunday.  Those guys were fans first and they would ASK the question... everytime.  And would write scathing commentary too.  I think when you have a CViv, he's not going to push any envelopes...

That show was fantastic.  

• Like 1