• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

2 minutes ago, mcleitsy said:

Not really 5 years of misery. Most of the actual Philly fans I know were excited as much as 2/3 seasons ago since they knew what the potential was going to be with Embiid. Even now, I think I'm more excited about the Hawks than I have been since the 60 win season. Don't make it out like everyone is miserable bro. 

Yeah.  Some of you enjoy losing too much.  

Past the implications of what Philly did, I am not sure where I would place Embiid in terms of being a franchise player.  Needless to say, health is the overriding concern and while the collision with Fultz was a complete fluke, it is easy to forget he was drafted in 2014.

Moreover, the aforementioned Fultz has an uncertain future and Greek tragedy levels of expectations after what Mitchell and of course Tatum have done.  Also, it is amazing how easy it is to likewise forget about Jahlil Okafor was a number three pick in 2015 considering I cannot remember the last article that has even mentioned him.  

Beyond exploiting the system in the "process" the bigger problem is what they have done with those picks on the whole.  I will grant you drafting seems heavily based on witchcraft, but they also did quite well in the lottery in having 3's in 2014 (Embiid), 2015 (Okafor), and of course 2017,  a 1st in 2016 (Simmons), and for all intents and purposes the 6th pick with Noel after they jettisoned Holliday to NOLA.

• Premium Member

I still don't know why everybody is making Philly comparisons.   Philly took two injured players and were fortunate that the injuries were not chronic.   If we did the same, we would pick Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.  Otherwise, you don't get the team that Philly has by tanking.   You have to be bad enough in the second year to go back to the top of the lottery.   And bad enough in the third year to do the same.   That's how Philly built by taking players who couldn't play. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I still don't know why everybody is making Philly comparisons.   Philly took two injured players and were fortunate that the injuries were not chronic.   If we did the same, we would pick Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.  Otherwise, you don't get the team that Philly has by tanking.   You have to be bad enough in the second year to go back to the top of the lottery.   And bad enough in the third year to do the same.   That's how Philly built by taking players who couldn't play. 

This should not be ignored.  There was a good bit of luck involved with that PHI has right now.  They had not one but two serious injury situations come up roses.

Not to mention like 4 1st rounders they picked that failed spectacularly.

I hope we blaze our own plan instead of trying to follow someone else's.

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The Philly tank didn't commence because they drafted an injured Embiid. Simmons wasn't an injured draft pick, he was injured in Summer League and required surgery and missed entire season.

The Philly tank started when they traded Jrue Holiday, followed up by moving Evan Turner and Thaddeus Young the next year, followed by trading former ROY Carter-Williams the next year.

I do think that if Embiid was healthy to start his career, events more than likely would not have unfolded the way they did for Philly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

So how about Minnesota ?

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Minny is a bad example, they've been out of the playoffs for 12 years straight.

They really are. Actually they are probably the worst example I could’ve picked. However, all that is forgiven when you are primed with young talent and tradeable pieces. It’s just Minny, as a city, probably has 0 free agent appeal. It’s so strange how actually being in the “arms race” for championship contention makes all 12 years of ugly go away.

This ESPN article from a while back is one of the better I have come across in regards to giving nuance to the 76'ers ownership and Hinkie and their tank par excellence:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning

Mostly, they are one and the same.  Likewise, Hinkie actually cooperated with the article.

This doesn't deserve it's own thread but I recall a bunch of folks figured Schlenki was gonna try to pry Klay from the Warriors.

Welp, in case it wasn't already obvious that was a pipe dream ...

Exclusive footage of Schlenki getting the news ....

GIF

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

This doesn't deserve it's own thread but I recall a bunch of folks figured Schlenki was gonna try to pry Klay from the Warriors.

Welp, in case it wasn't already obvious that was a pipe dream ...

Exclusive footage of Schlenki getting the news ....

GIF

Schlenk was never after Thompson

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

You must have been working for days to come up with that post on our coaching hire. Great job! Lottery balls next Tuesday. It is time we had some lottery magic happen. Go Hawks!!!

The whole organization top to bottom is a joke right now.   We will not get a franchise player in this draft.   There is nothing positive to say job about this.   This is a Goodwill Store hire because no proven coach wants to coach a minor league team.  Ive been a Hawks fan for 40 years and Ive never seen the franchise this low.  

• Like 2

Just now, Vol4ever said:

The whole organization top to bottom is a joke right now.   We will not get a franchise player in this draft.   There is nothing positive to say job about this.   This is a Goodwill Store hire because no proven coach wants to coach a minor league team.  Ive been a Hawks fan for 40 years and Ive never seen this franchise this low.  

You will now be an outcast, Vol.  If you don't believe in the so called process and don't believe that Pierce is a championship caliber coach, you will be looked down upon.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You will now be an outcast, Vol.  If you don't believe in the so called process and don't believe that Pierce is a championship caliber coach, you will be looked down upon.

I really don't give a damn.  We speak from experience.   Hawks been down this road before.  Tanking never works unless you are guaranteed a Labron or Jordan.   

• Like 2

Just now, Vol4ever said:

I really don't give a damn.  We speak from experience.   Hawks been down this road before.  Tanking never works unless you are guaranteed a Labron or Jordan.   

Yep.  You and I have been around a while.  We suffered through the 1999-2006 seasons.  There are a lot on here who simply don't realize the misery of those 8 nonplayoff seasons.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

Yep.  You and I have been around a while.  We suffered through the 1999-2006 seasons.  There are a lot on here who simply don't realize the misery of those 8 nonplayoff seasons.  

Yep these yunguns are about to learn a lesson.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Some of us did not just suddenly become hawks fans some of us have been here just not posting here. I like the path we are on vs the any team besides the 76ers, and Celtics in the east. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

Well, they won't be able to say they weren't warned.

True.  And this is a generation of I want it now, lol.  Just wait the crying and knashing of teeth is coming

• Like 1