• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

1 minute ago, terrell said:

The route we've chosen is over and done with, so stop crying about it. lol

We wont win many games this year, tanking or not..Thats how it usually happens when you rebuild with young players. If they play develop and play well, the FA's will come. "If you build it they will come"lol

3 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Jimmies? Rustled?! Why I oughta!

Naw, It appears that if I even post “hi” on this board someone thinks I’m in a murderous rage.  I was just having a lil fun pointing out some foibles but as is the case when I point out all of yours I got bored.  

My apologies to Peoria, I should have been sensitive to the fact he’s having a bad week.

... skrong response, sun.  Real skrong.

I wonder how many caught that'n?  ha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrell said:

We wont win many games this year, tanking or not..Thats how it usually happens when you rebuild with young players. If they play develop and play well, the FA's will come. "If you build it they will come"lol

After how long?  Philly is still not a free agent destination after they disgraced the league with their tank.  

7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
10 minutes ago, KB21 said:
After how long?  Philly is still not a free agent destination after they disgraced the league with their tank.  

They have disfunctional management we might be able to avoid. The current mismanagement isn't a direct result of their tanking decision

If you want to think that, go right ahead.  

30 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

Pretty good news that the Cavs just resigned Love for our draft pick chances.  Love in tandem with Sexson, et al should at least be an 8 seed considering there's us, the Nets, Magic, Knicks, Bulls and so on.

Nah, I doubt it. Cleveland’s roster is terrible and relying on a rookie is a formula for failure. They will likely have the worst defense in the league.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Nah, I doubt it. Cleveland’s roster is terrible and relying on a rookie is a formula for failure. They will likely have the worst defense in the league.

I am a lot more hopeful around our chances of that pick conveying this year with the news that Love is coming back.  We'll see how much he has deteriorated but it was always a very awkward fit with LeBron and Love.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am a lot more hopeful around our chances of that pick conveying this year with the news that Love is coming back.  We'll see how much he has deteriorated but it was always a very awkward fit with LeBron and Love.  

If not this year, definitely next year!

2 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Cleveland's roster isn't much different than the Wolves 13'-14' roster that Love led to 40 wins.  Of course, all of this is reliant on Love having suffered the LeBron effect rather than personally deteriorating.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Cleveland's roster isn't much different than the Wolves 13'-14' roster that Love led to 40 wins.  Of course, all of this is reliant on Love having suffered the LeBron effect rather than personally deteriorating.

Better coach and better fit as far as teammates. This team was built (poorly) around a creator like LeBron. Love was also in his prime. I think this team wins 35 at best.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, terrell said:

I don't know man. I've been looking at the roster and I know that after the first month of the season, older teams tend to slow down and have trouble with extremely fast, young teams. As of right now, the only players 30 years old on opening night will be Lin and Plumlee (both born in '88).

Typically, young teams struggle due to turnovers (everyone on the team trying to drive/go one on one because that's how their games developed) and poor shooting percentages from outside. The difference in how this team was built over how other young teams were built is you have a plethora of young guys who are 1) willing defenders, 2) quality outside shooters 3) with the exception of Len all have good hands and 4) with the exception of Len and Dedmon are all capable of putting the ball on the floor to create for others.

I know I am typically a Negative Nancy who only likes 1 or 2 players on a team at a time, but I don't have one solid complaint about any off-season addition to this team. We aren't going to the finals, but I think we may surprise people with our competitiveness and shooting. It's going to take us a month or two to gel but I'm thinking that when vet teams are lagging to get to the all-star break, we will be hitting our stride.  I'm more than cautiously optimistic with the direction right now.  If management wanted to WOW me right now, they'd flip Plumlee's deal and take on a longer but more productive asset and I'd be colored Hawk Red.

Either way when $30 million in dead money comes of the cap next year with 3 possible 1st rounders coming our way and everyone a year of experience older, I could see very good things in 2019-20.

• Like 1

The Eastern Conference really should be interesting this season beyond Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Indy.  As I am not a betting man, I am unsure what Vegas is forecasting for whomever is considered a 7th or 8th seed in regards to wins, but I would not be surprised to see it comfortably under 40 wins.

To boot, I would reckon short of Trae playing at ROY level combined with Huerter playing lights out to get us to the 8th.  In tandem with Collins continuing is upward trajectory and likewise Prince.  While possible, not sure it is plausible.  That said, I do think one of the lower ranked teams (Hawks were ranked 30th in yesterday's ESPN Power Rankings) will get in.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't see vet teams lagging when we get to the all star break, so I don't see the Hawks being able to take advantage of that.  It's going to be a long season.

Actually that's a real common thing and part of why the Hawks were able to to reel off 19 in a row during the 2014/15 season.  Usually happens some time after the first month of the season. The older teams in the league have let down games, especially on the back side of back to backs or 3 games in 4 days kinds of things.

https://www.docsports.com/2013/nba-handicapping-back-to-back-ats-records-579.html

In general, most teams do not perform horribly on the second night of a back-to-back. There definitely is some drop off in a team’s performance, but, for the majority of teams in the league, they are covering those spreads 50 percent of the time. I would advise to not put too much stock into the idea that a team is more likely to not cover a spread just because they are playing two games in a row. The bookies normally factor back-to-backs into the line.

Although the article doesn't mention age as a factor, this one mentions it.  https://www.thoughtco.com/back-to-back-325731  

Not only is this true with back to backs but also counts in the months of January up until the all star break and the month of April.  Historically, older teams play out of their minds to start the season through November, comeback to earth in January some, then put other teams away in late Feb/March.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't see vet teams lagging when we get to the all star break, so I don't see the Hawks being able to take advantage of that.  It's going to be a long season.

I have a buddy who obsessively watches betting lines and this has been one of common 3 AM conversations.

• Like 2