• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Compensation scenario for Bud

bigjmw84

9 hours ago, bigjmw84 said:

Would swapping picks be a possibility?

#3 & Bud for #1

I'm a fan of Ayton and Doncic, but Ayton would be hard to pass up if we had the option

I'm still of the mindset that we are all over-valuing what a team would be willing to give up to sign a coach (any coach, not just Bud).  That said, I tend to think the best case would be Pick 16 straight up for Bud.  Keep in mind that the draft lottery isn't until May 15 so no one even knows what pick Phx would have or what pick Atl would have.  I guess they could do an option to swap lottery picks OR 16, whichever was more advantageous for the Hawks.  Regardless, IF this all comes to fruition, I doubt anyone is going to be overly satisfied with the compensation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm still of the mindset that we are all over-valuing what a team would be willing to give up to sign a coach (any coach, not just Bud).  That said, I tend to think the best case would be Pick 16 straight up for Bud.  Keep in mind that the draft lottery isn't until May 15 so no one even knows what pick Phx would have or what pick Atl would have.  I guess they could do an option to swap lottery picks OR 16, whichever was more advantageous for the Hawks.  Regardless, IF this all comes to fruition, I doubt anyone is going to be overly satisfied with the compensation.  

I'm of the mindset that the Hawks can demand a kings ransom because they dont have to let Bud go, so why not ask for somthing super high and see if the suns will bite.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm of the mindset that the Hawks can demand a kings ransom because they dont have to let Bud go, so why not ask for somthing super high and see if the suns will bite.

I hate to sound like a broken record but only Hawk fans think that Bud is an irreplaceable must have coach

• Admin

We will prob get a second ... I can't see a scenario where we can get anything better then that ... it has already been established that GM and coach are not on the same page.  Bud wants to move on and Schelenk wants his own coach.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

We will prob get a second ... I can't see a scenario where we can get anything better then that ... it has already been established that GM and coach are not on the same page.  Bud wants to move on and Schelenk wants his own coach.  

The Bidding war or the demand is what drives up prices not the fact that you know the owner wants to sell

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I hate to sound like a broken record but only Hawk fans think that Bud is an irreplaceable must have coach

Yeah.  Hawks fans are the only fans that believe that:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/04/18/mike-budenholzer-is-the-man-for-the-suns/

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/04/17/the-phoenix-suns-should-be-willing-to-trade-for-mike-budenholzer/

Besides those two picks, however, the Suns should not hesitate in giving up their other assets to acquire Budenholzer. It is not often a good coach with potential and location ties becomes available. Phoenix needs to jump at the opportunity to shore up their weakest position in the organization. Even if Atlanta wants the Miami pick this year, the Suns should be willing to part with it.

So, the correct statement here is only you and a couple of other yahoos at the PTH blog think Coach Bud is easily replaceable and is not a good coach.

The fact is, if Mike Budenholzer was not under contract with the Hawks right now, he'd be the top candidate for every opening.  He's that much better than every other coach that is available.

Budenholzer will completely change the culture of this team, and in doing so, he will once more make Phoenix an attractive free agent destination. That, combined with James Jones, the great weather, and the promising young core of the team already in place, he would give the Suns numerous assets to work with when building this team for the long haul.

So whether it takes a couple of second round picks, Miami’s first round pick this year, the Bucks’ pick, or any other first rounder the Suns own (besides their own this year and next), the Phoenix Suns need to ensure that they secure the services of the best head coach Phoenix would have since Mike D’Antoni, Mike Budenholzer.

• Moderators

We should be looking for meaningful compensation to move Bud but not get too far out over our skis.  There isn't much precedent for giving trade value for coaches.   There were some bumps and snags along the way to getting Rivers to LAC:

The Celtics and Clippers had been in talks since last weekend, but hit multiple snags along the way. The original trade discussed would have also sent center Kevin Garnett to L.A. in a package with Rivers for draft choices, center DeAndre Jordan and point guard Eric Bledsoe. The Clippers didn’t want to include Bledsoe, the Celtics wanted them to take a veteran contract back, and then wanted a first-rounder added to the mix.

Report: Celtics To Consider Low-Profile Candidates For Coaching Vacancy

The two teams reportedly agreed on a deal that would have sent Rivers and Garnett out west for Jordan and two first round picks, but NBA Commissioner David Stern said he would not allow that trade — as teams are not allowed to trade active players for a coach.

10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Budenholzer will completely change the culture of this team, and in doing so, he will once more make Phoenix an attractive free agent destination.

HAH! He changed our culture and I didn't see any big time free agents lining up to play for him. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

HAH! He changed our culture and I didn't see any big time free agents lining up to play for him. 

What do you call those kinds of guys that think its always greener on the other side of the road??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Because the Hawks MAY NOT be in a position to demand anything.  IF Bud makes it known that him coaching a Ressler-owned team is an untenable situation and he's not going to do it, then he can force the Hawks to either trade him or risk a very messy, dysfunctional organization for two years.  Who wants an unhappy coach for two years?  No one wants that.  If the Hawks are forced to trade, they won't have any leverage to demand anything.   

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

then he can force the Hawks to either trade him or risk a very messy, dysfunctional organization for two years.  

Like the previous 3-4 years with the all the racist statements and in fighting among the previous owners?

44 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I want the highest of a pick swap for 1st and 4rd pick. Also the 16th pick in this draft. We get that, see ya Bud. 

I could see the swap OR the pick.  If they got both I'd be as close to satisfied with the trade as possible (I don't want Bud to go so nothing short of an unprecedented haul would get me overly excited).  

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Like the previous 3-4 years with the all the racist statements and in fighting among the previous owners?

Difference between dysfunctional ownership and even front office and dysfunctional coach.  I really don't like the idea of any coach being forced to be here if they don't want to do the job.  Talk about a recipe for disaster.  I think more of Bud than you do, but if he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him being forced to be.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  Hawks fans are the only fans that believe that:

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/04/18/mike-budenholzer-is-the-man-for-the-suns/

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/04/17/the-phoenix-suns-should-be-willing-to-trade-for-mike-budenholzer/

So, the correct statement here is only you and a couple of other yahoos at the PTH blog think Coach Bud is easily replaceable and is not a good coach.

The fact is, if Mike Budenholzer was not under contract with the Hawks right now, he'd be the top candidate for every opening.  He's that much better than every other coach that is available.

So where are all of these offers then???