• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

40 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And by the way, Ferry came in and cleaned house too selling Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams for nothing and Drew still made it to the playoffs.  Just look at that 2012-13 roster!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2013.html

I hate to agree with KB, but this just shows how far detached from reality you are when it comes to anything Bud. 

53 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When Bud was hired, the team had been in the playoffs 5 straight years.  Smith joined a team in disarray.  Not only did they finish with 4 wins in the previous season but their quarterback was thrown in prison.  Dimitroff was a 1st year GM just like Schlenk...The Hawk's ownership was in more disarray during the Larry Drew years but Drew still managed to have a higher winning percentage than Bud with less talent.

No doubt Ferry's moves made a large impact on what MB was able to do.  The Vick thing was tragic and I still wonder what might have been with him and Petrino.  However, Matt Ryan has been legit and by the time Smitty was replaced Ryan was hitting his prime.

As for the Drew comparisons, what are the numbers when discounting this past season?   Though I certainly do not know this to be true, I would think GM's and owners collectively would throw out most of a coaches losses and years when the tank is on.  Also, Drew coached a very short time here.

9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I really wanted the Hawks to take lead on her as a HC candidate.

Its the perfect way to generate positive energy towards the franchise. And Atlanta is the perfect city to have a woman head coach in a men’s league.

We would go down in history along with her forever.

And she’s from a similar system. It’d be too perfect.

I really hope Milwaukee doesn’t pull the trigger

One thing to note though, is she's on the back-bench (I think that's the right term).  I heard some folks on NBARadio discussing it and they made mention of that fact.

They were actually excited about her becoming a HC but noted that it's actually rare for a coach to become a HC without ever actually being a team's top 1-3 assistant.

IIUC, it has happened but we shouldn't be discouraged if she simply interviews this go 'round.  The next logical step for any person in her current position is actually top assistant.

I don't want to see her hired simply, or even partially, due to the PR.  That does her a disservice and sets her up for failure, jmho.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

One thing to note though, is she's on the back-bench (I think that's the right term).  I heard some folks on NBARadio discussing it and they made mention of that fact.

They were actually excited about her becoming a HC but noted that it's actually rare for a coach to become a HC without ever actually being a team's top 1-3 assistant.

IIUC, it has happened but we shouldn't be discouraged if she simply interviews this go 'round.  The next logical step for any person in her current position is actually top assistant.

I don't want to see her hired simply, or even partially, due to the PR.  That does her a disservice and sets her up for failure, jmho.

Particularly this job, where she would garner a tremendous amount of losses over the next 3 years.

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

No doubt Ferry's moves made a large impact on what MB was able to do.  The Vick thing was tragic and I still wonder what might have been with him and Petrino.  However, Matt Ryan has been legit and by the time Smitty was replaced Ryan was hitting his prime.

As for the Drew comparisons, what are the numbers when discounting this past season?   Though I certainly do not know this to be true, I would think GM's and owners collectively would throw out most of a coaches losses and years when the tank is on.  Also, Drew coached a very short time here.

3 years compared to Bud's 5

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Drew also never had to suffer through a tank year where his GM intentionally stacked the roster to lose games.

@High5

@Jungle Jack

Eliminating the tank year...Drew's winning percentage is still comparable to Bud's with less talent. 

Bud's winning percentage without the tank year 57% .

Drew's winning percentage including the year when both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams were given away for nothing 55%

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Eliminating the tank year...Drew's winning percentage is still comparable to Bud's with less talent. 

Bud's winning percentage without the tank year 57% .

Drew's winning percentage including the year when both Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams were given away for nothing 55%

In their respective two years with a healthy Al Horford, Bud averaged 54 wins a season while Drew averaged 44 wins a season.  With a healthy roster, Bud is at least 10 games better than Drew was.

29 minutes ago, hazer said:

I’m not all that familiar with him but sounds like 6ers fans love him and don’t want to see him go.

https://section215.com/2016/05/30/philadelphia-76ers-denied-by-carlesimo-lloyd-pierce-to-be-more-involved/

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

In their respective two years with a healthy Al Horford, Bud averaged 54 wins a season while Drew averaged 44 wins a season.  With a healthy roster, Bud is at least 10 games better than Drew was.

Drew had an injured Horford too!  He played 11 games in the 2011-12 season and they still made the playoffs.  Plus one of those years was shorted to 66 games

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You know, watching Al kick Joel Embiid's rear end in the playoffs really makes me laugh at those of you who want to attack him and misspell his name.

Who's attacking Horford?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

I get the Drew comparison.  That said, I still maintain Budenholzer is the best coach I have seen coach the Hawks.  All that matters now is who we replace him with.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Bud was irreplaceable which is my point! And the point I made 4 years ago with Mike Smith. Posters were acting like He was our coaching ceiling which I think is asinine!

While perhaps not irreplaceable, I struggle to see anyone currently available being better.  I do think his system when coupled with someone like Antetokounmpo could win big.  I certainly think high enough of him that at minimum ownership would not be on the line for his salary.  Be pretty interesting to hear more about how it got to this once Budenholzer goes to another team perhaps.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

While perhaps not irreplaceable, I struggle to see anyone currently available being better.  I do think his system when coupled with someone like Antetokounmpo could win big.  I certainly think high enough of him that at minimum ownership would not be on the line for his salary.  Be pretty interesting to hear more about how it got to this once Budenholzer goes to another team perhaps.

Nobody wanted him...Can't sell something no one else wants.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

No body wanted him...Can't sell something no one else wants.

LOL.  No one wants Bud.  He's the top coach on the market and will get the Bucks job.  The only reason he will not get that job is if he pulls his name out and decides to sit out a year and collect his money from Atlanta.