• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Yep.  Neither are good fits considering he (a) wants to win (thus ORL wld be out) and (b) can't possibly be looking to coach Dwhine Howard on a worse conceived roster than ours was.

He was probably counting on places like LAC, POR and WAS opening.  Oh well.  He's in a game of musical chairs and the music's about to stop but the only open chair is that one Ricky had an 'accident' in (ewww).  If you're him, do you sit in it or do you just give up and go get another slice of birthday cake?

He is going to sit out the season and find an assistant job somewhere next year lol!

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He is going to sit out the season and find an assistant job somewhere next year lol!

Nah, SAS will probably lose atleast one of their guys to ORL or CHA.  Budz will slide in right next to Becky next year as the HCIW.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Only 2 left are Charlotte and Orlando.  Orlando obviously wants a coach to work with their young players so that leaves Charlotte..  Good luck with that one Bud!

Been buried at work but has MIL settled on a coach?

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Been buried at work but has MIL settled on a coach?

I don't think they've technically fired Prunty yet but Woj said they're expected to speak to Clifford, Budz and Blatt.  Fitzdale was on the list before yesterday as well.

Now get back to work.  That ditch isn't gonna dig itself.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

They have a coach already

Prolly not for long. Hope they hire Clifford or Blatt and Pud has to “move back in with the parents” on the bench in San Antonio. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Jay larranaga is who I want. I dont want Stephen Silas and I dont believe in his development skills. I hope to be proven otherwise 

I can see him being a better hire over Silas. It would be a good pickup and replacement for bud.

i like that over the past 5 seasons as Stevens top assistant that his role was primarily player development.

i think he fits the schlenk description...young and proven player development. However I think Silas kinda fits the description as well but not as good based on the results we can go by.

Damn maybe @Peoriabird is right. I can’t agree that bud is over valued by just people here on the squawk because listening to nba radio (which I find is a good source) they were linking bud to teams as a top candidate to become head coach and bud had plenty of articles written about him for the ny job.

but it’s odd that bud wasn’t one of the names mentioned to the bucks in the headliner in Woj last tweet I will admit.

it could be the bucks aren’t interested or it could simply be bud only wanted to go to high market team but in my eyes this is the last good gig out there so I don’t know where bud stands 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, JTB said:

Damn maybe @Peoriabird is right. I can’t agree that bud is over valued by just people here on the squawk because listening to nba radio (which I find is a good source) they were linking bud to teams as a top candidate to become head coach and bud had plenty of articles written about him for the ny job.

but it’s odd that bud wasn’t one of the names mentioned to the bucks in the headliner in Woj last tweet I will admit.

it could be the bucks aren’t interested or it could simply be bud only wanted to go to high market team but in my eyes this is the last good gig out there so I don’t know where bud stands 

Same conversation as Mike Smith!  LOL!

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Again, This scenario reminds me so much of the Mike Smith saga with the Falcons!  Once Smith was fired, All of the Smith supporters were convinced he was the best coach on the market and would be scooped up immediately.  As time passed and he wasn't hired, they then said he want to take a year off for personal reason.  The next year he was hired as the Buc's Defensive coordinator, the supporters gleefully predicted a top 10 defense for the Bucs.  3 years later, Tampa's defense is still terrible and it was Quinn that has turned the Falcon's defense into a top 10 defense... Something Smith was never able to do in 8 years with the same owner and GM

Nonsense, he's getting the Bucks job, which is easily the best available job on the market. With the Knicks job you're just asking to get fired, and Bud's low key personality might not be a good fit for New York. He wants to win and coach with no BS to worry about. 

18 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Nonsense, he's getting the Bucks job, which is easily the best available job on the market. With the Knicks job you're just asking to get fired, and Bud's low key personality might not be a good fit for New York. He wants to win and coach with no BS to worry about. 

I think he’s a bit over the top too with the mike smith comparison. Smith wasn’t a horrible coach he tried to get the pass rush going but they could never get another player on the other side of John Abraham. Smith even brought in mike Nolan as DC to try to turn the defense around. 

It wasn’t all on smith but I will admit  he definitely didn’t develop any players during his time in Atlanta especially on the defense end which was supposed to be his specialty but he did give it his best effort.

bud on the other hand along with his good staff developed a good bit of players each year he coached here instead of this past season. No coach is good on their own and the good coaches like bud and pop knows how to pick a good staff to help them achieve the best results possible with the roster they have.

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think he’s a bit over the top too with the mike smith comparison. Smith wasn’t a horrible coach he tried to get the pass rush going but they could never get another player on the other side of John Abraham. Smith even brought in mike Nolan as DC to try to turn the defense around. 

It wasn’t all on smith but I will admit  he definitely didn’t develop any players during his time in Atlanta especially on the defense end which was supposed to be his specialty but he did give it his best effort.

bud on the other hand along with his good staff developed a good bit of players each year he coached here instead of this past season. No coach is good on their own and the good coaches like bud and pop knows how to pick a good staff to help them achieve the best results possible with the roster they have.

Did you go to the Falcon's message board at the time of Smith's firing?  They were calling for Dimitroff's head just like many are calling for Schlenk's head.  Some even took shots at the owner.  Mike Smith actually out performed Bud as far as wins are concern. He also went to the conference finals and was more competitive than Bud so i don't know how you can come to the conclusions that Bud is better.  His record sure doesn't support such a claim

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Don't you have to be on the interview list to get any job?:blink:

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, kg01 said:

Yep.  Neither are good fits considering he (a) wants to win (thus ORL wld be out) and (b) can't possibly be looking to coach Dwhine Howard on a worse conceived roster than ours was.

He was probably counting on places like LAC, POR and WAS opening.  Oh well.  He's in a game of musical chairs and the music's about to stop but the only open chair is that one Ricky had an 'accident' in (ewww).  If you're him, do you sit in it or do you just give up and go get another slice of birthday cake?

Thing is, Bud can sit out the year AND still get paid ALL his money from the Hawks. Pathetic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Did you go to the Falcon's message board at the time of Smith's firing?  They were calling for Dimitroff's head just like many are calling for Schlenk's head.  Some even took shots at the owner.  Mike Smith actually out performed Bud as far as wins are concern. He also went to the conference finals and was more competitive than Bud so i don't know how you can come to the conclusions that Bud is better.  His record sure doesn't support such a claim

Yeah I was on the boards during that time and many falcon fans been calling for Dimitroff head for years until recently when he started hitting on most his picks in the draft.

yes smith had a better nfc championship game vs the 49ers (should have won but refs allowed the pass interference) compared to buds ecf series vs the Cavs ...but the hawks were banged up bad by the time they got to the ecf but hey no excuses.

hiwever when it comes to player development...yes bud is far more impressive than smith. Smith didn’t develop any of those players! what they did was put very talented skill position players around Matt Ryan!

-Roddy white just needed a QB that could get the ball to him 

-Turner was already established behind Tomlinson in San Diego 

-Tony Gonzalez was already a walking hall of famer before he got to Atlanta

-Julio was inserted into an already good offense that already had a #1 WR in white.

-the o line was nasty then with Tyson clabo and the others

Smith did not elevate any of these players. They all were already good centered around Matt Ryan.

bud has developed a good amount players who has actually had their best seasons under him.

33 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I'm curious if Bud is trying to get another Coach/GM combo job, and that is what is keeping him from getting hired.

Based on his...Um...performance as GM, I wouldn't think it would be a part of his next job.  I think does want to have significant say in player personnel though. He may get it.

5 hours ago, JTB said:

This goes along with my original contention that Pud was born and raised in Arizona and would probably only want the spotlight of the NY gig or the familiar turf of San Antonio. Not Milwaukee...

On 4/30/2018 at 2:59 PM, mcleitsy said:

Coaching lifer, has the Schlenk-Golden State connection (Steph likes him). Pretty highly regarded on some Charlotte fans, and was legitimately looked at by the Rockets a couple seasons ago. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--warriors-pursuing-stephen-silas-for-top-assistant-job-210838091.html

Dude is trash..he couldn't get the Hornets Rollin when Clifford went out..I would rather have Jarron Collins who has extensive knowledge of Kerry's offensive..

Edited by LastDon