• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

I didn't see a thread where we can discuss the coaching interviews and rumors only. Please let's just keep this discussion about the potential coaches strengths and weaknesses.  I'll start by posting these from the interwebs and the twitterwebs.  Mods if you feel this is covered in other threads, please merge.  

Hawks Interview David Fizdale - https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/4/28/17295916/atlanta-hawks-reportedly-interviewing-david-fizdale-for-coaching-vacancy 

Darvin Ham, Jarron Collins, and Tibbetts to interview today and tomorrow - https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/4/29/17298998/darvin-ham-jarron-collins-atlanta-hawks-interview-coaching-vacancy-coaching-golden-state-warriors

In my opinion, these are pretty good interviews from what I've read about each.  I would love to see Darvin Ham get the hire or Fizdale (because he's the only one with experience). 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'll be shocked if Collins doesn't get this job.

Coach Fitz would be a great addition to the Hawks though.   And his wife Natasha is impressive, and not just from a looks standpoint.

He's the least qualified candidate, so yeah.  I'd consider him the odds on favorite right now.

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He's the least qualified candidate, so yeah.  I'd consider him the odds on favorite right now.

This is what I was referring to.  Please quit with the hot takes.  Please explain how he's the least qualified candidate when he's the only one with head coaching experience or who's the best candidate from the list above.

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is what I was referring to.  Please quit with the hot takes.  Please explain how he's the least qualified candidate when he's the only one with head coaching experience or who's the best candidate from the list above.

I think he is referring to Collins

• Like 1

Just now, marco102 said:

This is what I was referring to.  Please quit with the hot takes.  Please explain how he's the least qualified candidate when he's the only one with coaching experience or who's the best candidate from the list above.

Jarron Collins has been an assistant coach for 3 seasons, and he's not even the lead assistant on the staff at Golden State.  

By far, the most qualified guy they have interviewed is David Fizdale.  I'd probably rate Nate Tibbetts second, but there are a lot of other coaches that I would prefer before I got to Tibbetts.  Igor Kokoskov would probably be my top choice.

Just now, KB21 said:

Jarron Collins has been an assistant coach for 3 seasons, and he's not even the lead assistant on the staff at Golden State.  

By far, the most qualified guy they have interviewed is David Fizdale.  I'd probably rate Nate Tibbetts second, but there are a lot of other coaches that I would prefer before I got to Tibbetts.  Igor Kokoskov would probably be my top choice.

I thought you were referring to Fizdale.  My bad. 

So David would be at the top of your list too? 

I think it'll be a homerun if the Hawks could get him and hopefully he keeps Darvin Ham and Jent.  

22 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I would prefer our next coach not be a former NBA player. Give me the guy that worked his way up, the guy that spend years slaving away as a video coordinator. 

Everybody ain’t no Spo though.  Assisting under Spo is the only reason I’d welcome Fiz here, I don’t care for him otherwise.  Winning two playoff games after finishing 29th in scoring is quite impressive I won’t lie.

I’m no Ham fan but the current player’s familiarity and like of him should factor in.  

I don’t know why Sam Cassell doesn’t have a gig yet with all the PGs he’s helped improve.  Hell, I’d be on Jason Terry as soon as he retires.

When I think Jarron I think Jared.  No.  Just no.  Draymond coaches that team as much as any of their assistants.  Their dominance has waned too much for Kerr’s staff to be en Vogue IMO.

I think Nick Nurse should be the lead candidate.  I think the Raptors’ consistency directly speaks to there being more voices than Casey that the players respond to.  The lead is usually that guy, like Quinn and Kenny were.

Edited by benhillboy

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

You did call that, and if he ends up the choice I’ll give you credit for that. Because I have zero problem giving credit where credit is due. I’d hate to see it, but it’s a strong possibility.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hazer said:

You did call that, and if he ends up the choice I’ll give you credit for that. Because I have zero problem giving credit where credit is due. I’d hate to see it, but it’s a strong possibility.

If he ends up getting the job, then it tells me two things:

1.  Travis Schlenk has trouble going outside his comfort zone and hiring someone that he may not be intimately familiar with.

2.  They really are pushing the "young coach to develop with the team" angle, and even though you don't want to read it or hear it, that's going to mean this team is going to lose a lot of games while this coach and these young players are developing.

IMO, in both cases, it is a recipe for a disaster.  The long term question I have with Schlenk is whether he will be able to survive both the tank and this coaching hire.  I'm not sure he will get a second chance to hire a coach when he apparently couldn't work with the great one that was in place.  

Players will ultimately see through the coach "learning on the job" shtick, and they will ultimately tune that guy out.  That's bad when you have young players that need to be developed, particularly when there will be a limited amount of veterans on the team.  

This is why I think they need to hire someone who has head coaching experience: David Fizdale, David Blatt, Etorre Messina, Igor Kokoskov, and to a lesser extent Nate Tibbetts who has head coaching experience in the D-League, are the guys who they should focus on.  

Honestly, I think they end up hiring Nate Tibbetts for the job instead of Jarron Collins.  I think it will be hard for even Schlenk to justify hiring Collins.  

30 minutes ago, KB21 said:

1.  Travis Schlenk has trouble going outside his comfort zone and hiring someone that he may not be intimately familiar with.

2.  They really are pushing the "young coach to develop with the team" angle, and even though you don't want to read it or hear it, that's going to mean this team is going to lose a lot of games while this coach and these young players are developing.

IMO, in both cases, it is a recipe for a disaster.  The long term question I have with Schlenk is whether he will be able to survive both the tank and this coaching hire.  I'm not sure he will get a second chance to hire a coach when he apparently couldn't work with the great one that was in place.  

Players will ultimately see through the coach "learning on the job" shtick, and they will ultimately tune that guy out.  That's bad when you have young players that need to be developed, particularly when there will be a limited amount of veterans on the team.  

This is why I think they need to hire someone who has head coaching experience: David Fizdale, David Blatt, Etorre Messina, Igor Kokoskov, and to a lesser extent Nate Tibbetts who has head coaching experience in the D-League, are the guys who they should focus on.  

Honestly, I think they end up hiring Nate Tibbetts for the job instead of Jarron Collins.  I think it will be hard for even Schlenk to justify hiring Collins.  

Ferry did the same with Bud and the Spurs. Then again it was familiarity with the Spurs, so no fault there. Then again, this would be familiarity with the Warriors. Again, not bad. I’m hoping for Fiz.

33 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I’ll also give you this: my 3 years back to 8th was calculated with Bud. That’s in jeopardy with someone like Ham, but not out of the question with Fiz. Which is why he’s my choice.

Reading up on Fizdale and he’s growing on me ...seems like he wants to actually win based on how others view him and do his best no matter where he ends up. Also sounds like he’s eager to place the right ball moving and spacing scheme in his offense (which is my biggest concern for the new hire coach to do).

im not so sure he can develop players but fiz sounds like a coach who’s really going to put in the effort in is all I’m saying.

grizz May have jumped the gun and fired him way too quickly.

• Like 4