• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

2 hours ago, mcleitsy said:

For sure, I hope we end up getting Fizdale, but it seems like it could be a long shot IMO. The only other name I've seen in the coach search that intrigues me is Silas. 

Ok cool what’s the scoop on Silas? I need info 

43 minutes ago, JTB said:

Coaching lifer, has the Schlenk-Golden State connection (Steph likes him). Pretty highly regarded on some Charlotte fans, and was legitimately looked at by the Rockets a couple seasons ago. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--warriors-pursuing-stephen-silas-for-top-assistant-job-210838091.html

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JTB said:

Stephen Silas:

*Son of Paul Silas, who I was always a big fan of and would have loved to have seen the Hawks hire him when they replaced Lenny Wilkens.

*He has been an assistant in the NBA since 2001, when he joined his father's staff in Charlotte.  

*He also has a history/experience of working on the scouting side of the basketball operations.

*He was the #2 assistant on the Golden State Warriors staff from 2006-2009, under Don Nelson as the head coach.  He was reportedly responsible for development of their perimeter players, game management, and offensive and defensive play books.

*He returned to Charlotte in 2010 to be the lead assistant on his dad's staff again in Charlotte.  

*He was promoted to associate head coach this past off season and filled in for Steve Clifford during his absence.

*He reportedly develops great relationships with his players, as Steph Curry and he reportedly has a great relationship.  

*Travis Schlenk was a "behind the bench" coach in Golden State during those years.

*Interviewed for the lead assistant job after Walton left for the Lakers in GS that ultimately went to Mike Brown

*Finalist for the Houston Rockets job in 2016.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, his resume is much better to my eyes than Jarron Collins's.  I mentioned Nate Tibbetts a few posts ago because he has interviewed, but if Silas gets an interview, I would consider him the odds on favorite, and quite honestly, this is a hiring I would be on board with.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Stephen Silas:

*Son of Paul Silas, who I was always a big fan of and would have loved to have seen the Hawks hire him when they replaced Lenny Wilkens.

*He has been an assistant in the NBA since 2001, when he joined his father's staff in Charlotte.  

*He also has a history/experience of working on the scouting side of the basketball operations.

*He was the #2 assistant on the Golden State Warriors staff from 2006-2009, under Don Nelson as the head coach.  He was reportedly responsible for development of their perimeter players, game management, and offensive and defensive play books.

*He returned to Charlotte in 2010 to be the lead assistant on his dad's staff again in Charlotte.  

*He was promoted to associate head coach this past off season and filled in for Steve Clifford during his absence.

*He reportedly develops great relationships with his players, as Steph Curry and he reportedly has a great relationship.  

*Travis Schlenk was a "behind the bench" coach in Golden State during those years.

*Interviewed for the lead assistant job after Walton left for the Lakers in GS that ultimately went to Mike Brown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, his resume is much better to my eyes than Jarron Collins's.  I mentioned Nate Tibbetts a few posts ago because he has interviewed, but if Silas gets an interview, I would consider him the odds on favorite, and quite honestly, this is a hiring I would be on board with.

Even if he'll come cheap?

25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Stephen Silas:

Interesting that you would be on board with this hiring cause sounds like he hasn’t been anywhere that’s had consistent success.

I wasn’t familiar with Tibbetts.  Just learned he was with the Blazers.  They are hard to watch at times.  The regression of Evan Turner and C.J. reflects poorly on their staff’s development but they squeezed 49 wins and a first round embarrassment out of a roster that should’ve finished 9th.

Edited by benhillboy

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Interesting that you would be on board with this hiring cause sounds like he hasn’t been anywhere that’s had consistent success.

I think sometimes, people get blinded by the whole "coming from a successful program" part and ignore certain features that avail some to being good head coaches.  For example, Mike Woodson came from the championship halcyon days of the Detroit Pistons, and that did not translate.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I wasn’t familiar with Tibbetts.  Just learned he was with the Blazers.  They are hard to watch at times.  The regression of Evan Turner and C.J. reflects poorly on their staff’s development but they squeezed 49 wins and a first round embarrassment out of a roster that should’ve finished 9th.

I don't think I would put Evan Turner on the coaching staff, as that was more of a Neill Olshey mistake than anything.  CJ McCollum had also developed extremely well before having a down season this year.  

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I hope Fiz stays away from this job.  I like him too much for him to get crushed in the Schlenk Crusher.  Let's just hired Collins and move on.  A young guy who don't mind losing. 

Oh no, you're drinking the "Schlenk is the source of all evil" Kool-Aid too?! :devil: :evillaugh:

http://siouxfalls.gleague.nba.com/news/one-one-coach-tibbetts/

Powell has fond memories of his time playing for Tibbetts, saying Tibbetts had Powell’s back whenever he was going through a tough time.

“Out of all the coaches I played for, I never played for a coach who related to players as well as (Tibbetts) did,” said Powell, who played for Bob Knight and Pat Riley. “I never played for a coach who was as cool with the guys as he was. He was the ultimate player’s coach. He was definitely one of those guys so down to Earth it was easy to play hard for him—easy to listen to him.

I didn't realize that he got his start under Dave Joerger in Sioux Falls, and Joerger is a coach I really like a great deal.  I wonder if Tibbetts is as analytically inclined as Joerger is.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I think sometimes, people get blinded by the whole "coming from a successful program" part and ignore certain features that avail some to being good head coaches.  For example, Mike Woodson came from the championship halcyon days of the Detroit Pistons, and that did not translate.  

Image result for mike woodson 2008 boston

Woody:  "It DID translate sir.  Everyone knows that I got a raw deal.  Who doesn't get a new cotnract when they increase their win total for 5 consecutive years and make the EC Semis twice in a row?  I was the underdog in both series we got swept in, so we were supposed to lose.  I've even done something that Bud hasn't done.  I've won 50+ games twice in the regular season.   I've even won in NEW YORK!!  Who wins in New York?"

Darvin Ham, Atlanta Hawks assistant coach
There's an odd contradiction at work with former players who have head-coaching ambitions. On one hand, guys who played in the NBA frequently jump the line and score top jobs over career assistants who have broken down video, scouted opponents, designed top defenses and sat at the feet of coaching legends. Yet, at the same time, there's often a stigma that portrays them as lacking the work ethic of the schleps who have slept on a couch at the facility for 15 years.

Did you know the famed "hammer pass" is named for Ham? He enjoyed a nine-year career in the NBA, and colleagues say he has a coach's intuition. When Quin Snyder moved from the Lakers to Atlanta in 2012, he urged Ham, who also sat on Mike Brown's bench, to seize the opportunity to claim more responsibility in Atlanta. An assistant on Budenholzer's staff, which is quickly sprouting its own coaching tree, performs a full rotation of tasks, from cutting video to intensive individual work with players.

Ham plays an enormous role with the Hawks and does it without a lot of rah-rah battle cries. He understands the difference between pride and passion, ego and intelligence, and can tell a player -- be it a vet like Dwight Howard or a young guy like Dennis Schröder -- the truth even if it isn't what he wants to hear. He knows that you prepare a reliable vet if he's going to be the whipping boy in a film session, but that you probably don't do the same for a rookie, because you want to see how he's going to react.

Ham is the kind of guy -- not unlike his boss -- who could probably be happy for years as a top assistant. But one suspects that, like Budenholzer, he'd be cheating himself if he didn't throw his hat in the ring at some point for a head-coaching opportunity.

OK.  Darvin is my top guy now.  If you can't have Bud, you might as well get someone from his coaching tree.  Darvin would have a smooth transition to the head job here, and considering the success that Bud's previous two top assistants have had relative to the positions they went to (I would consider Atkinson a success in Brooklyn at this point), it's hard to argue against it.  

You might be able to keep some of this staff together if you hire Ham as well.

• Like 3