• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Search is over; Pierce is the man!

Buzzard

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

That doesn't discount the fact that the 76ers have two young players who have major shooting woes, one of which was not a poor shooter when he was drafted, and neither have progressed as shooters under Lloyd's watch.

I'm just trying to figure out why there is this impression that Philadelphia under Lloyd Pierce has/had this great player development system.

I mean, to compare, Mike Budenholzer turned Paul Millsap from a traditional low post offensive player into a multi faceted offensive player that shot three point shots.  Who has Lloyd Pierce had a similar effect upon?

Danny Ferry saw SAP's potential and Bud turned him lose. Utah kept him under a tight leash with a log jammed front court that included during any season at least four of these players during his stay in Utah: AK47, Derrick Favors, Al Jefferson, Enes Kantar, Marvin Williams, and Mehet Okur.

Sap's seven best years for FG% were in Utah, Saps four best years for FG efficiency were in Utah, Sap's 2nd and 3rd best seasons for rebounds per game were in Utah, and Saps best season at the free throw line was in Utah,

Danny Ferry saw this and signed SAP knowing full well what a bargain basement all-star he was getting. All Bud did was stretch a well rounded 28 year old SAP out to the three point line. Something Utah never did while he was there. Furthermore, I only can wish Bud would have gotten something similar when he 1st developed as you like to say and then gave Bazemore that erroneous contract.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

I mean, heck, look at what Bud did for Dewayne Dedmon's shooting this year, and how John Collins improved as a shooter over the course of his year.  Ben Sullivan was their shooting coach and is one of the best in the NBA.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Afro said:

Yeah as buzzard mentioned, bud helped some guys and didn't help others(shooting wise). If we're throwing pierce under the bus for fultz and Simmons, does bud get screwed for Baze? 

Or Delaney,Taylor, Bumblee,or Lee, John jenkins,Thabo, Schoeder?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Afro said:

Yeah as buzzard mentioned, bud helped some guys and didn't help others(shooting wise). If we're throwing pierce under the bus for fultz and Simmons, does bud get screwed for Baze? 

Bud is a good coach. You will never hear me say anything different; but he does not walk on water and he is not Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, or Red Auerbach for christ sakes.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Or Delaney,Taylor, Bumblee,or Lee, John jenkins,Thabo, Schoeder?

Exactly. If shooting was only on coaches, every team would just get a shooting coach and every player would shoot 40% from 3....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Boston gets the first game while the Hawks 60 win team couldn't get one game against Lebron when he didn't have Irving or Love.

Pathetic. Really pathetic. Bud is another Bobby Cox at best... Better in the regular season than in the playoffs.

Yep.  Bud is one of the best basketball coaches of all time, just like Bobby is one of the best baseball coaches of all time.  This Cleveland team also isn't half as good as the one Bud had to go up against without key rotation players as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

Yep.  Bud is one of the best basketball coaches of all time, just like Bobby is one of the best baseball coaches of all time.  This Cleveland team also isn't half as good as the one Bud had to go up against without key rotation players as well.

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

Bobby  was mostly a regular season coach so is Bud.

What the Hawks were missing in that series  doesn't compare to what Cleveland was missing. The Hawks losto LBJ and a bunch of cast offs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Bobby  was mostly a regular season coach so is Bud.

What the Hawks were missing in that series  doesn't compare to what Cleveland was missing. The Hawks losto LBJ and a bunch of cast offs.

Plus Cox had 3 HOF pitchers for 12 years and at least 3 HOF  regular players on his teams at all times.  Dude didn't have to do anything but just stay out of their way and half the time he couldn't even do that.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KB21 said:

Bud is one of the best of all time? Based on what exactly? We all thought Bud was a good coach but c'mon now. Why hasn't one of the best of all time been hired yet?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JSmooooove said:

Bud is one of the best of all time? Based on what exactly? We all thought Bud was a good coach but c'mon now. Why hasn't one of the best of all time been hired yet?

This guy has to be Bud's brother or something.  Best of all time with a 53% winning percentage and no rings LOL!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, he’s the top candidate for the top two jobs open right now.  That should kill some narratives some are having when it comes to Bud. 

There are no narratives about Bud, most of us are mad that he left. We all think he's a good coach. Only some have a narrative that he's one of the best of all time, which is ridiculous and not based on any facts. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, he’s the top candidate for the top two jobs open right now.  That should kill some narratives some are having when it comes to Bud. 

I hope he gets one of those jobs especially the Toronto job to see if he can out do Casey.  I would give him props if he won 60 with Toronto.

On 5/12/2018 at 10:55 AM, sturt said:

Isn't that typical, though? Especially for an assistant getting his first HC gig?

Then again, I'll grant you this much... if it were the opposite, then that would make a huge statement the other way.... so I'm happy that they're not saying, "How'd he get a HC job???" :D

I'm "excited" about this in the same way that I'm excited about my Cowboys' 4th round draft choice, replacing a HOFer TE...

Anxious to see what happens. Conscious that there's the occasional 4th rounder who rises to the top, like that starting QB of ours.... and... to be balanced.... conscious of the scrap heap of 4th rounders who proved to be JAGs on special teams for a couple of years then faded into football history oblivion.

Maybe Dalton Schultz will be the next generation's Jason Witten.

I sure hope so.

And Pierce, the next generation's Popvich.

I sure hope so.

Not really, players like Wade, Bron and Steph aren't opinions I'd easily overlook in this type of situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Sorry to interrupt the Barves thread with some CLP talk but can somebody give a summary of this for those of us who may not be able to break out from work to listen/watch?

I mean, them burgers ain't gonna flip themselves.  Plus, the hot chick usually comes in on Mondays at 11.  She might gimme the nimber this time. :cool:

ps Hot chicks on Monday is fine but avoid the Wednesday skank shift if at at possible. @kg01 you’re all growns up!

Not sure if this little tidbit was posted here but I like Brown describing Lloyd as his free safety. Usually you don’t put a slouch or someone you don’t fully trust in an believe in at free safety because they get past that line and it’s straight to the house...

“I won’t have a lead assistant coach,” Brown explained. “One guy will pay attention to offense, another to defense and then Lloyd (Pierce) is like my free safety. There will also be two coaches with development roles.”