• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawksquawk is back up, Welcome to the Bagley Zone

NBASupes

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Who are you taking then?

BPA :biggrin:.

I haven't watched any college basketball. I've read up and watched highlights a little on the top guys. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Their isn't a top #1 consensus pick like when LeBron or TD was picked. At pick #3  - there are a few options:

I'm leaning towards taking an offensive player and hoping that Pierce can at least make their defense passable with development - so Bagley or Porter (trade down, though the back scares me). Why? If Pierce's focus will be on defense, God knows we'll need somebody who can get an easy bucket beside Dennis (assuming here's here).  I want our version of Donovan Mitchell - see what he did for the Jazz? Not interested in Trae Young  at #3 at all. 

Of the defensive bigs, Bamba intrigues me. Not so much his shot blocking but he's decent at defending the PnR on the perimter. I liken  him to Rudy Gobert with better offense. I think his offensive game can be developed, he has good shooting mechanics, decent footwork in the post, ok hands. Needs added strength.

• Like 4

the move at 1:40 even guys like Harden aren't getting that off Doncic knows how to shield the ball from defenders  when driving by using his body which is a very underrated skill to have when your'e not the most athletic. I'm not saying Luka will have Harden's exact game but a lot of the step back elements with a bully inside game using his frame to back down smaller and even larger guards similar to what he does to KP at the :40 and 1:40 marks.

6 hours ago, davis171 said:

I never made the comparison I said a lite version who is a similar athlete you are just saying Harden is a significantly better athlete because he is black

Oh . . you're one of those types huh?   You never saw me mention anything about race in my post.  Harden is a significantly better athlete . . because he's a significantly better athlete.   I've been watching and playing basketball for over 30 years.  LOL . . I've played against NBA level athletes.   His skin color has nothing to do with it.    Doncic athletic comparison is much closer to JJ than it is to Harden.   And as I said before, that's not a bad thing.

5 hours ago, Flight said:

He's definitely over 6'9. Wendell Carter measured at 6'10 with shoes. You can simply see them next to each other and obviously tell he's just as tall if not taller than Wendell.

6'10'' in shoes is 6'8.5'' Bagley looks about the same height, he's probably 6'9''.

55 minutes ago, davis171 said:

the move at 1:40 even guys like Harden aren't getting that off Doncic knows how to shield the ball from defenders  when driving by using his body which is a very underrated skill to have when your'e not the most athletic. I'm not saying Luka will have Harden's exact game but a lot of the step back elements with a bully inside game using his frame to back down smaller and even larger guards similar to what he does to KP at the :40 and 1:40 marks.

Doncic IS very skilled. He’s got a LOT in his toolbox. You can try to match him up in line ups where he can use his size and skill to beat smaller defenders like Joe used to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Oh . . you're one of those types huh?   You never saw me mention anything about race in my post.  Harden is a significantly better athlete . . because he's a significantly better athlete.   I've been watching and playing basketball for over 30 years.  LOL . . I've played against NBA level athletes.   His skin color has nothing to do with it.    Doncic athletic comparison is much closer to JJ than it is to Harden.   And as I said before, that's not a bad thing.

I played against Kobi Simmons and Malik Beasley to name a few js lol...

4 hours ago, JTB said:

To add I think I’m one of the only ones that believe Mikal should be a top 5 pick so I wouldn’t mind him either 

I’ve been with Mikal since day one as well @JTB just in another...well home if you will.. I loved him with Bud...still like him a lot and would fit coach Lloyd’s defensive philosophy to a T but I think we are gonna stay put and select at #3 and he will go at #5 at the earliest. My dream is to land a stud at 3 (Bagley Bamba Porter) and Mikal at 7-10 via trade but unlikely. (A guy can dream)...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ve been with Mikal since day one as well @JTB just in another...well home if you will.. I loved him with Bud...still like him a lot and would fit coach Lloyd’s defensive philosophy to a T but I think we are gonna stay put and select at #3 and he will go at #5 at the earliest. My dream is to land a stud at 3 (Bagley Bamba Porter) and Mikal at 7-10 via trade but unlikely. (A guy can dream)...

It would be nice for some good to happen for once .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davis171 said:

I played against Kobi Simmons and Malik Beasley to name a few js lol...

And I played against Trenton Hassell and Shawn Marion . . . both from my hometown ( even though Shawn doesn't claim us . . lol ).  Shawn playing against regular athletic guys is damn near superhuman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I continue to be amused at those who try to tear down Doncic as a prospect while pumping up Bagley like he has no weaknesses.

Both have strengths that will help a team, and weaknesses that will possibly keep them from being great players.  While I prefer Bagley, I'm not going to pitch a fit if we take Doncic.  I definitely like what he brings to the table from a playmaking standpoint.   It's just that with this top 3 pick, we NEED to be able to pick the guy who is going to be a Hall of Famer.

Like some of the others, I wouldn't be mad if we also took Trae Young, if they thought he can be that special of an offensive player.  I honestly like Trae's passing more than his shooting.  His passing is on Lonzo Ball's level.  It would be very interesting to see how good a guy like Trae could make Taurean Prince and John Collins.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Both have strengths that will help a team, and weaknesses that will possibly keep them from being great players.  While I prefer Bagley, I'm not going to pitch a fit if we take Doncic.  I definitely like what he brings to the table from a playmaking standpoint.   It's just that with this top 3 pick, we NEED to be able to pick the guy who is going to be a Hall of Famer.

Like some of the others, I wouldn't be mad if we also took Trae Young, if they thought he can be that special of an offensive player.  I honestly like Trae's passing more than his shooting.  His passing is on Lonzo Ball's level.  It would be very interesting to see how good a guy like Trae could make Taurean Prince and John Collins.

The chances of a Hall of Fame player actually being in this draft are slim to none, so that shouldn't even factor into the equation.  The Hawks should go with the best talent who is the best fit with the other young talent on the team.  The Hawks top 3, IMO, should be Luka Doncic, Jaren Jackson Jr, and Trae Young.  

• Like 1

I'm reposting this because the majority on here simply do not realize just how terrible Marvin Bagley is on defense.  He's terrible as an isolation defender.  He's terrible as a pick and roll defender.  He's terrible as a switch defender.  He's terrible as a rim protector.  He's terrible as a help defender.  

It's beyond obvious that he has never been coached to play defense, so those of you who love him, you at least have some hope that by the time he is in his 5th year, he will have learned how to play some defense.  It's highly unlikely he will ever be a good defender in the NBA. 

Compare that to this:

10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm reposting this because the majority on here simply do not realize just how terrible Marvin Bagley is on defense.  He's terrible as an isolation defender.  He's terrible as a pick and roll defender.  He's terrible as a switch defender.  He's terrible as a rim protector.  He's terrible as a help defender.  

It's beyond obvious that he has never been coached to play defense, so those of you who love him, you at least have some hope that by the time he is in his 5th year, he will have learned how to play some defense.  It's highly unlikely he will ever be a good defender in the NBA. 

Compare that to this:

I’m so tired of the defense topic coming up when it comes to our 3rd pick!

I DONT CARE HOW MUCH DEFENSE A TEAM HAS IF YOU CANNOT DROP POINTS WITH THE BEST TEAMS IN THE NBA YOU ARE NEVER EVER GOING TO BE A TRUE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER!...LOOK AT THE JAZZ AND THE GRIT & GRIND MEMPHIS GRIZZLY TEAMS.

...we need to take a risk pick on an elite potential offensive talent if we really want to see this team get to a higher level down the road and not the same playoff results like the past 10 years.

this franchise hasn’t had a lethal scoring weapon since Nique! Our best offensive unit over the past 10 playoff seasons would more than likely lose to this years one man Cavs led team and get swept! Our best offensive unit from the past 10 seasons wouldn’t win one game vs lebron in a series.

Goodness! I recall Harden saying after a game this year “we know we can score with the best of them in this league and that allows us to put full focus on defense end”....something along those lines. Point I’m making is that we need to fix the offense first in a big way then worry about the defense second.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JTB said:

I’m so tired of the defense topic coming up when it comes to our 3rd pick!

I DONT CARE HOW MUCH DEFENSE A TEAM HAS IF YOU CANNOT DROP POINTS WITH THE BEST TEAMS IN THE NBA YOU ARE NEVER EVER GOING TO BE A TRUE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER!...LOOK AT THE JAZZ AND THE GRIT & GRIND MEMPHIS GRIZZLY TEAMS.

...we need to take a risk pick on an elite potential offensive talent if we really want to see this team get to a higher level down the road and not the same playoff results like the past 10 years.

this franchise hasn’t had a lethal scoring weapon since Nique! Our best offensive unit over the past 10 playoff seasons would more than likely lose to this years one man Cavs led team and get swept! Our best offensive unit from the past 10 seasons wouldn’t win one game vs lebron in a series.

Goodness! I recall Harden saying after a game this year “we know we can score with the best of them in this league and that allows us to put full focus on defense end”....something along those lines. Point I’m making is that we need to fix the offense first in a big way then worry about the defense second.

Oh.  OK.  So the Hawks should just ignore defense then.  

It's not going to surprise me to see Travis Schlenk do just that, because he has no f***ing clue what he is doing as a GM.  He has no clue about team building.

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Oh.  OK.  So the Hawks should just ignore defense then.  

It's not going to surprise me to see Travis Schlenk do just that, because he has no f***ing clue what he is doing as a GM.  He has no clue about team building.

We know KB, you are great at team building! Travis has not screwed one draft up and you are already ranting. I find that hilarious to be honest. I don't care if our pick is Chris Bosh like or DeAndre Jordon like. BPA all day long.

Jerry West seems to think enough of Travis to have his back. I will take that over you, or anyone else opinion on this board for that matter, all day long.

• Like 3